Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shot the "WRONG" bull
My wife, a friend and myself had Wasatch LE ML elk tags.The second week on tuesday I had a good 6 point coming into the grunt tube.
The bull held up in a thick patch of pines screaming his head off and I went in after him.I caught him standing broadside but his head was behind a low hanging pine.
With the binocs I could make out one ear, his eye and the eye guards but had a great shot behind his shoulder and thats exactly where I put the 250 grain TC sabot.
He whirled and ran about 30 or 40 yards and I heard him go down hard.
Walking up to him I saw he had busted "BOTH" sides off just above the eye guards.
This was not the same bull I saw go into the pines. I was totally disgusted with 13 years worth of bonus points down the drain.
I would have loved to see the rack on this one as I can't put both hands around the base of the horns.
At Wasatch custom meats in Ogden the 2 halfs weighed just shy of 500 pounds thats with the head, hide and legs off. The butcher said in 22 years of cutting meat he's only seen 5 or 6 elk weigh that much.
My wife and friend never got within range of a decent bull. If it would have been the rifle hunt instead of ML we could have filled our tags with respectable bulls.
To put the iceing on the cake my friend Larry rolled his truck and trailer by Chicken creek by Strawberry.
This is one hunt I would just as soon forget [crazy]
[signature]
Great story Roger, too bad about the results though[frown]. Did your friend get hurt when he rolled his truck? Will it be your last hunt in Utah?
[signature]
Yup last one in Utah. Amazingly Larry only had a cut on his elbow after the accident. I guess the seat belt did it's job.
Yesterday afternoon I went with a neighbor and his wife so she could fill her deer tag. Left the house at 5:00 and was back hanging a 26 in. spread 4 point at 6:10.
We saw 11 different bucks ( plus 22 head of elk) and drove a total of 4 1/2 miles [shocked]
This area in back of our houses is unbelievable with the amount of game.
From our back deck with binocs and a spotting scope we have seen big horn sheep, antelope, both mulies and whitetails and elk.
This is definatly not Utah!
I'm loving it.
[signature]
Where is it that you live cuz I want to move out there. Some place in Wyoming?
[signature]