Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be Careful!
I'm sure most of you in SE Idaho have heard about it already but felt I should put it out there for any who have missed it. A hunter was shot this past weekend while walking back to his vehicle after a day of hunting. It was apparently a case of mistaken identity. Please, take the time to fully identify your targets and make sure that there are no other people in the trajectory of your shot (including past your target). We don't need another tragic accident. According to the news the hunter is still in critical condition.
[signature]
something is seriously wrong with this story. it is right up there with the kid who shot his buddy in the middle of the back with his bow because he thought he was a turkey. how in the heck do you mistake a human being for a turkey or deer? i have hunted my entire life and have never ever even put the bead of my shotgun sights of a scope or drawn a bow on somebody walking through the woods and i have had it happen a lot! im a tree stand hunter so they walk by quiet frequently most dont even know im there. but what im trying to get at is i think its just a cop out for killing the guy. if this keeps happening they are gonna make it to wear we have to recertify in hunter saftey every four years.
[signature]
D/T professional ethics I'm unable to elaborate on the circumstances really other than to say apparently at least 2 of the golden rules for safe hunting were ignored in this occurrence from what I understand.
[signature]
This guy happens to be my friend and almost family (long story). Pray for him as he is not in the clear yet. He has a lot of internal damage. I won't go into details for his privacy.

Anyway like I said, he needs our prayers.

Belasko is correct when he said, that two of the main rules for safe hunting were not followed. From what I have been told my friend was hunting the river bottoms from his tree stand. He was heading back to his truck and not wearing orange when he was shot by another hunter who obviously did not clarify his target before pulling the trigger.

The thing that made me mad when watching the news was that they made a huge deal about wearing orange, but didn't say a thing about being sure of your target and background before aiming and pulling the trigger.

I guess the moral of this story is follow the rules that we all know and learned in hunters ed.

Be safe out there.
Windriver
[signature]
It's in the Boise paper so I figured I couldn't do any harm by posting the link. Sorry if it offends but it is what it is.
[url "http://www.ktvb.com/news/Rigby-man-talks-about-hunting-accident-105268153.html"]http://www.ktvb.com/news/Rigby-man-talks-about-hunting-accident-105268153.html[/url]
[signature]
still i dont understand how? have any of you ever accidently pulled a weapon up on somebody while you were hunting?
[signature]
I won't even try to maintain composure on this one.
NO EXCUSES PERIOD. Blaze orange, camo, purple I don't care! If you are not 100% sure don't pull the freakin trigger. Opinion- Charges should be filed regardless of the outcome of the injured hunter. Shouldn't be allowed to own a BB gun. "Tried reaching out to the family" Give me a break.
[signature]
agreed 100%.
[signature]
No.

Windriver
[signature]
I hadn't heard about this before today. I hope that he is doing ok.

While I haven't gone hunting for a few years now, I have hunted quite a bit in the past. How can you possibly aim and shoot at an unclear target? I can sort of understand crossfire and someone walking into line, but only barely.

Besides that, there are possibly hikers, photographers, sightseers, ranchers, kids, and fishermen out there that aren't wearing orange! If I remember it is hunting season, I will wear a vest when I am out, but I don't always remember to take one when I am not actively hunting anymore. How many more people are out there looking for stock or other activites besides hunting in this good weather? Especially in a river bottom area.

There just isn't any excuse for this that I can see.

Our prayers are with the family. God bless!
[signature]
Wow people must shoot anything that moves nowdays[:/] even in all camo no excuse the sob ought to be locked up.
[signature]
Everyone needs to keep pulling for him. He is not in the clear yet.

Windriver
[signature]
my family and i are keeping him in our thoughts.
[signature]
My best friend was killed on the 23rd of Sept. 1993 by a muzzle loader hunter out of Calif. Incident took place on the North slope of the Uintas just after dark. The out of state hunter and my buddy were walking out on the same trail unbeknown to each other. The hunter heard something behind him and thought it was a wild animal (According to his statement) and wheeled and shot my Buddy in the chest with a 54 Cal. he died almost instantly. Left two young daughters and a wife. He was only 34. He quit hunting during the rifle season because of the idiots in the woods and started bow hunting as well as muzzle loader hunting. He was actually hunting with a friend of ours "Crankem" for an elk when it occured. I sure miss him, he was like a brother. I hope everything turns out okay for this hunter. Please make sure of your target before shooting.
[signature]
He should be OK[Smile]
[signature]
what ever happened to the guy that shot the victim? he shouldn't be allowed to hunt anything but grouse with a stick !
[signature]