Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Never Give Up!
Hunting season is upon us, but I haven't bought a tag in quite awhile. I've been hunting more little creeks lately. Some prospects have not worked out at all, some are OK, and some are so brushy you are worn out 20 minutes after you started. Then you find one that is a joy, and suddenly it is worth all the extra hiking, cow patty dodging, and brush beating. I even think I was giggling part of the time. Scary!!

I am sorry that I can't share the name of this creek with you even if you PM me. It is so small, fragile, and it already has problems from irrigation, silting, and some other grazing issues. I know that seems kind of rude to post and not tell, but it isn't my intent to be. My intent is to encourage you to go out and explore, as I don't think this is the only good find out there.

Maybe you will find a creek worth saving or helping to make more fishable through working with Fish and Game and land owners. It will probably take a group effort. I intend on trying to get the irrigation screened on this one. It will be worth the effort to save more of these fish.

This isn't a super creek or anything. It was just a fun find for me. I think it is mostly because I have struck out on so many other creek prospects lately. Access is hard; the creek is small, shallow, parts are brushy, and the fish are somewhat sparse in numbers. They are mostly in the 6 to 8 inch range, but I caught a few of the 10 to 14 inchers. Of course it is the larger ones that I took pictures of!

The upper area is really pretty with all of the fall colors and being up in the trees. The weather was a great big plus!

The fish seemed to be fewer and smaller in this area, but the scenery made up for it! Here is a wide spot in the creek, and a "large" one or two from the upper area.

[inline BUpper1.jpg]

[inline BUpper3.jpg]

[inline BUpper2.jpg]

As the creek comes out of the trees it wanders through some grazing areas before it all flows into irrigation. It is surrounded by willows and sagebrush, but there seemed to be a few more larger fish. The creek itself has a little more water, but is wider and shallower in spots with less shade and fewer good pockets or holding areas.

[inline BMiddle1.jpg]

[inline BMiddle4.jpg]

[inline BMiddle6.jpg]

[inline BMiddle3.jpg]

[inline BMiddle2.jpg]

[inline BMiddle5.jpg]

The strange orange reflection that you sometimes see on the fish, or as in the last picture - right under my hand, is from my hunting vest. Since I was out hiking around the hills in the middle of deer season it seemed a good idea, but I think it really made it harder for me to keep from spooking the fish. I had to stay way back and low. I don't think I blended into the background very well!

Good hunting!
[signature]
You be careful out there in those bushes and trees this time of year. No stealth mode, just hang back and wear plenty of orange.

Just scored a couple of Renegades so thinking D this weekend.
[signature]
Thanks for the beautiful pictorial. You know I love the small creeks.

Windriver
[signature]
That's where my addiction to fishin started! [cool][cool]-gotta love those small creeks[fishon]
[signature]
Beautiful healthy fish. I love seeing those kind of pictures. I just wish I had more time to get out right now between school, work, and other things to take care of around the house. Not to mention my steelhead fever is kicking in! [crazy]

Thanks for sharing, it lets me enjoy a bit of the experience even though I can't get out right now.
[signature]
Congrats on the find! I love those kinds of places. Small creeks are where I learned to fly fish.
[signature]
Gotta love them small creeks. My favorite fishing!
[signature]
Good on ya gal. I really enjoy your posts. Ever consider journalism? [laugh] Have you ever been shot at either from "sound" shooting or doing some thing dumb (like me) carrying out a deer. Those shots have a very distinctive sound to em. First the zing or whoosh of air and then the report. [shocked] Don't have to worry about it anymore. Gave it up. Too much work. too old , and gotten soft hearted.
[signature]
I about got peppered with bird shot once as a kid. I was fishing a beaver-pond when a bunch of teenage hunters let loose with a volley that ripped through all around me but luckily didn't hit me at all.

I let loose with a yell, and they scattered out of there at about 90 miles an hour. They didn't even wait to see if I was hurt. Plus there were NO birds on the pond at the time. Dumb kids!

Since then, during the various hunting seasons, I always wear orange, if I am out in the hills, no matter what I am doing.

I haven't actually hunted in probably 10 years, but I still hike a lot and fish during the fall. You just have to remember that "hunter's orange" is for EVERYONE in the outdoors, not just hunters.

I have this addiction to high mountain lakes and small streams, and I just can't kick the habit. The weather is too nice ... it is calling me again! I have to go back out before it snows!
[signature]
Better hurry on those high mountain lakes and streams, the snow is coming Sunday.

I have been shot at, although it was not while hunting. The sound of a bullet going by you sounds just like a fire cracker going off. It is a very distinct sound.

Great pics by the way. Some of those high streams and lakes have the best fishing and the most enjoyable.
[signature]
that there is a very nice spot if it is where I think it is i was just there a couple days ago very nice and pleasnt spot did you see any mountain lions on the hills there if its the same spot i scene some up there a few days ago. and what is Sad is people are scared to go off of the beaten path to fand them a honey pot and if they do they do share it with the world then it just turns into another over run tashed place over fished and garbage all over the place.. but keep serching that creek up streem if its the same one up stream there is a nice little pond with some nice size fishies in there..
[signature]
I am not sure where it is that you are thinking, but what kind of a pond? A small reservoir? beaverpond? natural small lake? Sounds interesting!

But anyway, no, I didn't see any mt. lions out and about. I did see a few hunters. Oddly enough I never saw any deer sign anywhere in the area at all.
[signature]
if this is where I think it is which looking at some of those pictures I'm very much positive it is where I think it is there is a small beaver pond on it a couple of them one don just a little lower than the other but they are up very hight on the crk there are nice cutts in there isn't there. I like that place because it has natural fish no planters some how the fish was born there and that crk just flows into a irigation ditch for the local farmers on that side of the valley.. If you don't mind me asking did you go through the landowners gate and up or over the mountain trail to it??
[signature]
Ya know - I may have gotten "on" some posters for not revealing their destinations. But I fully respect your reservation with exactly this kind of location. Out of the way, gotta hike there, small - secluded.

It's when someone tries to pretend that Utah Lake, or Willard are some kind of "secret honeyhole" that I have to call BS. You might desire to protect your favorite "spot" but to not mention at least the general area seems less than helpful. (IMHO)

But not in your example. Thanks for sharing - those are some pretty fish - great colors, and some nice scenery. Glad you made it safe from over enthusiastic hunters. Wish they could get away from the "if it moves - shoot it" mentality!
Need to get into some of our rivers. I've been so focused on boating trips - gotta try the "fairy wand" attack. [sly]

Need to get my pooch an orange bandana - if you dog is deer colored, uh -yeah. Plus always remember NOT to wear my favorite light brown leather jacket in the fall (shame that it's the PERFECT jacket for this time of year's weather).
I have to agree-- if you go out to the streams and rivers anywhere, definitely be sure that both you and your animals are wearing lots of orange.

I love streams and rivers and can hardly wait in the spring for the runoff to be gone, and in the fall I am dreading the coming snow.

I mostly fish reservoirs as consolation for not being able to get out in the hills. Well, that and I do like pan fish and bass with an occasional nice trout on the side!

So go for it and fish some rivers!
[signature]