Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs and Float Tubes
Ok,

After doing a few searches on the forum and not finding what I needed, I'll make a new post.
I have a 60lb dog that has separation issues and I cannot leave him in camp due to him whining constantly and annoying my camp neighbors while I am out on the tube.

So, after seeing a picture on Outcasts site (attached) I decided I will test and see if he will go out with me.
I just grabbed myself a Fish Cat4 which is unfortunately too light for both he and I. So, building him a platform and letting him lay across like the one in the picture is not feasible. Neither is yet another tube upgrade for me.

So...I am going to grab him an inner tube, lay a platform on it (no worries, it will make Tube Dude proud [Smile]) and see if he will lay on it and be towed just to be around his human.

Finally, my question, while kicking around and fishing, whats the best spot to attach him? Side or back? I would think that on the back would make it difficult to maneuver.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
I bow to the wisdom of the experienced tubers!
StillinID
[signature]
I take my dog with me all the time, but he is about 18 lbs. They do need to be able to move.
I recommend saving that tube for trips without the dog and get a pontoon with a big deck. Not for you, but for the dogs comfort.

Pokymon takes SAMMIE out and he must be in the 60 lb range, but again he has a pontoon.
[signature]
Just let the dog swim[Wink]. I was down at Lake Powell a 2 weeks ago and that's what my dogs did. They where fine for an hour or so. Off course the water in the back coves was still 80 degrees then.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The raised bow/stern of the FC4 makes it possible to pull another tube up tight against it and will not affect backward kicking much at all. I did the same thing with another Fat Cat...rigged to hold a trolling motor and to pull me backward...my "Tube Taxi". I found that with the other tube cinched up tight that I could still kick around well with little interference.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are go with the inner tube, I would suggest fitting the inside hole with a properly cut piece of styrofoam...or a similar sized inflated device. Then put the dog's favorite blanket over it and you should be good to go. Now rig the tube with a couple of loops to which you can tie or clip a length of sturdy rope...as in the attached pic. That goes up over your head and you haul it up tight around your waist to hold the dog tube in place. I made a loop and clip arrangement so that I could fasten it in position but could quickly undo it for launching or beaching.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]With your furry kid cinched up directly behind you the trick will be to keep him from wanting to join you up front. Hope you have him well trained.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, even if your dog swims well it might be a good idea to fit him with a PFD. They do make them for dogs and it is an extra measure of safety.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah...watch your backcast.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That is a cool fly there River in the second picture...[laugh][laugh][laugh]
Allot of the beaches I fish require your dog on a leash.
Just think safety for both. My dog gets very excited when I catch a fish and wants a closer look. In a tube that could be dangerous and with the rope around you...even more so.

I look forward to reports on how this pans out though.[cool]
[signature]
Good suggestions, all.
I concur that a pontoon would be more appropriate but that will likely have to wait a year or two.
He does swim of course but he's not one of those that HAS to be in the water so I'm not too worried about him bailing out. He is well trained,however, I do foresee the possibility of him wanting to come over to the FC4 for a visit or to inspect a fish I pull up (One hopes!).
Good to hear the I won't be sacrificing too much mobility if I get his tube pulled up tight to the point. I figure it will be like putting on ankle weights for that extra bit of workout while running.

I think I will make an extra cordura canvas cover for that part of the FC4 for protection while getting his tube set up.
Heck, I'm not that far from Outcast's facility (~3 miles), maybe I'll go see if I can scrounge in their scrap fabric bin! =)
[signature]
I just bought a new tube/toon with an inflateable floor and working on fabricating a deck so my dogs claws do not come in contact with the fabric, however, this is very thick fabric.
The advantage is have a spare deck from my other pontoon that I am going to try first.
[Image: 4890906520050905034.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1252.jpg]

I would worry about having to worry about 60 lbs of wiggle though.
[signature]
Joni, You liked that fly huh[laugh]. I only fish oceans and still water a handful of day each per year. In those settings I only occasionally fly fish. Now on rivers I'm 99.8% flies. Down at Powell my son one night wanted to catch a channel cat so we hiked to a cliff with access to deep water and where going to try using a hot dog. This was as it was getting dark. Only problem as it got darker I realized it was going to be dangerous to hike the steep sloped area back. So we tip a rapala with hotdog peices and got into some quick bass action for a few minutes before stubbling back to camp. Those bass make trout look smart[sly].
[signature]
I have only had one experience with dogs and float tubes. I love dogs, and have trained some very fine hunting dogs. I have an excellent German Shorthair Pointer right now. With that said I don’t think dogs swimming continuously with you is the way to go. A couple of years ago I was fishing with my son and some people brought two dogs to swim with them. The people had to keep yelling at the dogs to keep them with them. If the dogs were close to us they were trying to climb up on us to get out of the water. When they went on ground they were bothering people fishing on the bank. These selfish idiots didn’t understand that because they LOVE their dogs that does not mean I love their dogs. They ruined the day of several bank fishermen that ended up leaving, and finally I told them if their dogs tried to climb on my tube one more time I was going to drown the dog. FG has a great set up that keeps her dog with her. If you must take mans best friend please remember that other people have the right NOT to love your dogs as much as you do. Keep them under control and safe. Ron
[signature]
Just as an update to this....

I have gotten the "spare" float tube (looks like a 30 yr old "Float-n-Fish") and have cut a platform for it. The carpet went on tonight (blue outdoor) and I fitted it on the tube (Tied onto 4 tabs on the tube with parachute cord). Spent about 15 minutes training the dog on it.
Thirty minutes later he was laying on it himself without any prompting. Grabbed a picture of it but will take me a bit to get the phone off my cell phone.
He did well when I started wiggling the platform but was still a bit unsure of it.
Next step...out to a local pond with it and me just standing in the water next to him!
It's working so far! [Smile]
[signature]
That's good to hear. How long will he sit there without moving?
I was thinking more one of those small two man blow up boats that KMart sells. Put a would floor in the boat and the dog sits IN the tune instead of on top. Could move around too.
[signature]
Check this out for around $25.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/31023419168...s&var=sbar
[signature]
I had thought of that type of craft, in fact, I have two of them in my garage already. It's the size of them that leads to concern. Having to pull/push one of those around while on a float tube is daunting. This small tube can be brought up close to the FC4 with minimal impact (I'm hoping).
Also, I would have to cover the entire top and inside of that type to be protected from his claws/teeth.
Although limited, he can stand up and turn around on this small tube.
Duration is unknown as of yet while on the water. If he passes the test and stays on the tube for 10-15 minutes while on the water then I will try it with my tube attached and see how he reacts.
[signature]
I am waiting for a report cause I just see the tube flipping over or worse yet, he passes the test, you hook up and he panics and climbs on you.
[signature]
I use a "real" boat on still waters [Wink], but I have taken my 60lb lab down the "A" section of the green once like this. It wasn't pretty, and he much perfers the drift boat, but we made it, right side up! The toon is a 9-foot Renegade. I think one of the bigger NFO's would be ideal.

Oh, and I love my dogs, so I wouldn't put them in a little $25 peice of junk. No siree, if I get them their own tube/toon, you can bet they'll get a Scadden too![cool][sly][laugh]

But really, the drift boat is the way to go. Besides, I have two labs. A 110-pounder and the 60-pounder. Definitely a full boat! One of them DOES go on point when he sees a rising fish and/or sees me casting to a steady riser. Now, If I could only teach them to row.

[inline IMGP6826.JPG]

[inline IMGP6828.JPG]
[signature]
Tarpon "J" I too have the Renegade now (also) but I took the small deck from my Outlaw and put the rod holders and sonar on it, PLUS Baxter has a place now.
[Image: IMG_1309.jpg]

I had one of those boats several years ago. I agree the material is not like NFO, but several air chambers. Like I said with a wood or even a rubber floor would allow the dog to move around. This is if you are on a budget.

for you and me, I am sure our four legged friends are just letting us use their boats.
[signature]

[signature]
That just ain't right.........[shocked]
[signature]
I agree.. that one is over the line... to me anyway...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
+1 to that. Here I thought ya'll were having an interesting discussion about sharing fishing with your dogs, and then that?

Now - if if was some butt-ugly dog, I dunno - but a cute fluffy golden. Who'd want a mouthful of fur anyway - seriously! A bit morbid, and off target to the topic IMHO.

Bassrods has a number of photos of his dog wearing a life-jacket. One with a handle can be a good thing.
I've thought of building a platform on the front of my jon-boat. Both as a standing - casting platform, and somewhere a dog could sit. But then I think of all the hooks, the potential tangles - that my pups would rather be running anyway.

I'll second Ron's point about - no matter how much YOU love your dog, and think everyone else will too - ya-don't. Have had enough of begging dogs come visiting, and all of a sudden I'm watching MY food/garbage so they don't get into it. Plus - if I have MY dogs - THEY might not welcome another dog walking into "their" camp.

I hope no-one would expect a dog to swim/tread water for the duration of time I tend to go fishing. That just ain't right!
Instead of a little 2-person inflatable, I was thinking more of a tow tube. They are built a bit tougher, and still wouldn't have to cost much. Have handles - many a liner, and then a tube. Maybe I should try my dog in that.