Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Report (Now with Pics)
I was really thinking about canceling my a planned trip to Henry's (with myself). I sure am glad that I didn't . The morning sunrise was incredible. The fish were willing and the temps were great for this late in October.

I fished the State Boat ramp area. I caught 13, all cutts. Most of them were in the 17-19" range. The big one for the morning was a 24" beauty.

All fish were caught on a light olive crystal bugger, or prince nymphs. I wish I had an intermediate line. My type 2 was sinking a little too fast.

Windriver
[signature]
I figured the marina would still be producing fish-thanks for the report!![cool]
[signature]
I heard from a lot of people today. Sounds like the fishing was pretty good all over the lake.

Windriver
[signature]
This is my Henry's report #2. Had so much fun yesterday that I brought my kids this morning to try and catch some cutts from the bank. Couldn't get them to hit lures or bait, so I ended up wading out and catching them on my fly rod. Then I would hand the fly rod to my kids and let them fight them. They had a great time.

The cutts were still hitting the light olive crystal bugger. The type 2 line really seemed to be the ticket. There were people using intermeditate and sinking tip lines that were not doing nearly as well.

I will post pics later.

Windriver
[signature]
We had fun up there this weekend also. Here are a few pictures.
[signature]
Nice fish all. This is the perfect temp and weather...just too bad it should have been here like a month ago...LOL

Windriver, all lines will hit the bottom. Those with intermediate just need to count down before retrieving. And for you, on the first day, retrieve a little sooner and maybe a touch faster.

My faves are the II and the Intermediate. I use the Intermediate on calm days when "I" am not moving, and Type II if there is a chop or wind.
Water is a bit denser in the cold, so II is a good choice.
Right on!
[signature]
Nice fish Steelfisher. We'll have to compare notes at church errr... I mean after church.[laugh]

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks flygoddess. I did end up catching fish on the first day in high weeds/shallow water because I stripped the type II as soon as it hit the water.

I always like learning more about what lines do. To me it is kind of like golfing. You can use the wrong club and make it work, but to be consitent instead of lucky you have to have the right line.

Windriver
[signature]
Golf is a very good comparison. However, I am terrible at golf and less terrible at fly fishing...LOL
[signature]
You can also put a woolly bugger and small sinker under a bobber for the kids. The wind will drift it, or have them reel it in slow. It does work surprisingly well for the kids. Many times it works better than the lure or bait.
[signature]
I tried that today. Just couldnt get it to work. The kids did catch a couple drifting chromonids under a bobber.

Windriver
[signature]
Good, it is so much fun for them to catch a few on their very own pole, especially fish like the Henry's fish! They will always remember these outings.
[signature]
Here are some of my pics from today at Henrys.

Windriver
[signature]
Great pictures, its really nice to see the little guys catch big fish. My grandson says if I buy him a spiderman fishing pole he will go with me. He will probably get one for X-mas.
[signature]
great pictures, i expecialy love the last one with your boy. a fish like that sure puts up a fight expecialy when you a pint size, i remember catching my first steelhead at around that age i wasnt sure if the fish wasnt going to win
[signature]
Sometimes I think my kids get an unrealistic view of fishing when I find pockets of fish like that. My middle son caught a 17 incher and said, o' man this is a little one.[laugh]

I always say that they have to be successful in order to enjoy fishing. They can always go out and enjoy nature when they are older.

Windriver
[signature]
Does anyone know what the water temp is at I am hoping to hit henrys threw the ice thanksgiving weekend im just wondering if im just dreaming.
[signature]
We did really well on the north end fishing from the bank. I caught a nice 7 pound cutt. My nephew nad his girlfriend both caught a fish almost as big as mine [cool].
[signature]
That is great to hear michael. Not hearing about very many 26" to 27".
[signature]
Windriver. Those are some great photos of the kids. It's great you are taking them fishing so young and keeping their attention with some action.
[signature]