Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berry and BIG FISH
I was going to fish the Nell this morning but as I got by it I changed my mind and kept going to the Berry ..

It was cold but no fog with just a little ripple at first...

I lunched at Soldier Creek for a change, and I wanted to talk to some one about the pavilion for the DAV fishing day...

No one was around to talk with about the pavilion so I hop some one can help me out with a phone # that I can call...

Last year when some of you was trying to find out if we were going to have one this past Aug. I was having trouble with my or my wife's computer and lost all names and a lot of if not all contacts I had from the last DAV event..
Back to the fishing..
At the boat launch I got 3 cuts all about 20" give or take..
And then went to the backs of coves and was getting one here and their...
When I reached the south side I got my biggest one yet for this day at 21 3/4" but on my next cast I hooked a monster.

It was back in the cove...and I'd stopped to talk to some tubers....so after drifting about 200 yards away from them I cast toward the south shore when WHAM.....it hit and almost ripped the rod out of my hands. As I set the hook it headed for deeper water. I could feel it fighting all the way..and it was spooling me, so I fired up the trolling motor to high and was off in hot pursuit...gradually gaining back some line. As I looked away searching for my net it came up to the surface and swirled. The Tubers saw the splash...and one headed in my direction with his trolling motor on high...

The battle raged on...and then the lunker turned and ran right under the boat now headed back into the shallows. The fight was on again as I was reeling as fast as I could not wanting to give it any slack. Moss was flying everywhere...water was splashing....and I grabbed for my net figuring I could corner it in the shallows....

Then through the moss and mud I spotted it....the tail alone must have been 8 to 10 inches wide...and it looked to be at least 20 + lbs. And no...it wasn't a carp.

I'd hooked it right behind the head and as I reached down with the net the one set of treble hooks got caught in the net and ripped the hooks out of it....

I didn't feel bad except for not getting a picture of it...but who wants to have a full grown beaver above their fireplace mantle...

Yep...it was a beaver...big teeth and all...but what a fight...and a good laugh. Talk about a safe release...I was determined not to lose my lucky craft on of all things a brown furry rodent.

All in all a good fishing adventure.
[signature]
I caught or i guess snagged a beaver once, was fishing on a river near where i grew up casted out and was retrieving my line when something right below me made a splash scaring the crap out of me and before i knew what was going on my drag was getting ripped off like nothing i have ever caught before, faught it for maybee 2 minutes before it broke my 4 pound line. Apparently the bank i was fishing from had a undercut in it where they liked to hang out. Never forgot that battle[laugh]
[signature]
I thought I had the biggest Cut or Bow in the lake,[Wink] what a surprise it was to see..
[signature]
You had me going Cliff. Nice work on the Beav. [sly]
[signature]
What a terrific story!
[signature]
That's a great story. I've caught some really weird things, but never a big furry one. Too bad there's no picture. Sounds like you had a fun day of fishing and molesting beavers.
[signature]
It was cold and windy and cloudy like it could start snowing any time, all my cold weather stuff on and my camera was under the third lairer and I was so into the fight I just forgot till it was gone...But it just sat there and was looking at me and the net then dove for deeper water...
And that was the last thing I thought I would hook..
But it was fun...
[signature]
That's awesome, and well played story Cliff. Pretty hilarious - smarter than the average trout I'd bet.

Had muskrats tooling back and forth along Logan river. Went up the inlet at Hyrum in early spring, and I'm certain the beavers were busy thomping their tails to tell me to get the heck out of their feeding grounds. Kept scaring the carp out of me!

Definitely is starting to cool down out there, watching those water temps drop. See what this storm system brings us.
[signature]
I love to catch BEAVER [Wink]
Yes I do to, they are a lot of fun, and they fight real good as well...
[signature]