Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Around one month till hard deck!!!
Is anyone else counting down the days until we are back on the ice again?

I know I am crazy, but I really love ice fishing. In fact it may be my favorite.

This is also my way of keeping a positive attitude as the temps drop and winter settles in.

For those of you who usually look for the green packer jacket to recognize me, I have changed outfits this year.

My packer jacket finally fell apart from being burned by auger exaust, ripped by stray hooks, and rotting from old worms.[Wink] I will now be wearing ice armor "blue" suit.

Windriver
[signature]
I'm right there with you. I just wish I could figure out a way to stay on the ice over night comfortably. I keep dreaming of setting up a teepee on the ice and spending the whole winter out there. You and I can share the nut-house together I think.
[signature]
I will just look for the full ice house this year instead of the blue suit
Your not the only one that is crazy I can not wait till I can ice fish again. i just started last year and thanks to all of you who helped me. I think it is starting to become my favorite way to fish also. I will keep floating the river as long as i can but when we get some ice it will be time to put the boat up and get out the ice gear. I got the Arctic armor suit last year and I love it.

Jim
[signature]
I've been all through my gear and can't wait! I'm glad to hear you got a new jacket! [Image: happy.gif] Every time I saw you in that jacket I shivered! [Image: scaredworried.gif]

Looking forward to a great winter!

Don
[signature]
I've got some new stuff already that I just can't wait to try out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
I have never ice fished. With that in mind, could you tell me what it is about ice fishing that is special? Besides being freezing cold! I know a lot of you are nuts about it, so why?
[signature]
[quote windriver]Is anyone else counting down the days until we are back on the ice again?

I know I am crazy, but I really love ice fishing. In fact it may be my favorite.

This is also my way of keeping a positive attitude as the temps drop and winter settles in.

For those of you who usually look for the green packer jacket to recognize me, I have changed outfits this year.

My packer jacket finally fell apart from being burned by auger exaust, ripped by stray hooks, and rotting from old worms.[Wink] I will now be wearing ice armor "blue" suit.

Windriver[/quote]Is that the Dave Genz stuff? NICE! I need some of that.
[signature]
I really don't know what it is that makes me want to go out on the ice every year.

#1. I really can't stand to be in the house very long.

#2. It is the only time when I will literally walk on water.[angelic]

#3. I like to breath the clean fresh air, and feel the bite of the wind on my face.

#4. You lose track of time and forget any troubles when you are stairing at an eight inch hole all day. In a way you literally go numb even if you don't drink.[laugh]

#5. I am addicted to the flash of my vexilar lights. I call it the Vexilar trance.

#6. There is not a better way to spend time with my kids. If they want to fish they can fish. If not they can play on the ice or sled on the hills etc... If the weather is bad they learn the fine art of being tough.[sly] J/k, you don't have to be to tough to survive in the command post with a 30,000 btu heater and plenty of snacks.

#7. Ice fishing tends to be more social than other types of fishing. If things are slow you can always wander into "tent city" and talk to folks about better days.

Windriver
[signature]
I don't know how much time I am going to be spending in the permanent ice house, since I am going to win the ice fishing contest and that will require some traveling.[cool]

However, since you let the cat out of the bag I will give everyone a preview.

My neighbor and I are building a permanent ice house to go out on Ririe.

It is 8*8 with 2x2 framing.
It has a full size door and a nice big window.
It is built with two bunks for sleeping or resting.
It has a beautiful little wood stove built out of an old compressor tank.
It all breaks down onto 2 4X8 sleds so that we can get it down the ramp at Ririe.

I will post pics in the next couple of days.

Windriver
[signature]
We sleep out in my Command Post all the time. Just make sure to leave ventilation for heater, and bring a good cot to get you off of the ice.

Windriver
[signature]
Ya, Dave Genz and the ice armor team sponsor promote the stuff.

I really like it so far. It has tons of pockets in exactly the right places, and the bibs have padded knees and rear end.

You still have to dress in layers, the coat is more of a water proof shell than a thick coat. It is really water proof. I tripped while fishing at Henrys on Sat. I fell completely in the water. My top was totally dry the only place I was wet was in my pants where the water came in my waders.

Windriver
[signature]
A couple'a reasons i like ice fishing.

If you don't own a boat, and spend your summer months fishin from shore, hard water allows you the opportunity to fish anywhere you please.

The fish seem to put out a little better scrap when pulling em in straight up, not sure if it's a fact , but it sure feels that way.

If you keep some for the fry pan, you can clean em immediately after catching em and its no problem keepin them on ice.

Sittin out on a lake while the ice is cracking, and rubbing is just a cool experiance..

With all that said,, I'd still rather be trolling around and doing some swimin in the warm weather,, cuz everybody knows winter was made for bird huntin..[Wink]
[signature]
I'm counting down the days until the water gets back into the 50s next spring [:p] To each their own I suppose, though I just might have to give ice fishing another try. The winters are just too long up here to go without fishing.
[signature]
Being an almost exclusive ice fisherman I been loving the weather this week; to feel the coolness in the air and to loose three minutes of day light every day you know it is around the corner. Most of you know I am just a "seasonal" guy on this site, but I will trully contribute while I am here to about mid-March then its off to other passions including travel and wildlife observation. Besides Henry's and IP I even know a few sites that freeze early due to ther small size and their positions on north facing slopes. With this in mind lets all remember to keep the life jackets on the spikes handy and a safety rope ready. I know this sentence may sound stupid, but we all know that many of us get tempted with ice under four inches, so if you go out be very prepared. I joined the polar bear club a couple of years ago and I do not want to recertify.

OvidCreek

OvidCreek
[signature]
Well, you all make some good points, especially about winter being too long and getting out to fish. I may have to try this yet.
[signature]
If we could fish the ice tomorrow it would not be soon enough. It seems silly waiting 8-9 months for the ice to form. I'm, well, will be 69 when most people figure the ice to be safe to fish. I have been fishing through the ice long before I ever saw an auger, didn't even know they made such a thing. Before I started to fish I would get wet chopping a hole with an ax. There were few reservoirs open to ice fishing then. It was common place to set out on the ice all day with out seeing anyone else out there. I felt like I had the world to my self. You mention having time to think and clear your mind of all the distractions, well that was no problem, some times wished there would be someone come by just to say hello. I love the game, hope when it's my time to pass it's with an ice rod in my hand and me lying next to my flasher. Didn't have one of those either! I don't fish the summer months any more just wait for the ice to form. If you young bucks see an older feller sporting a gray beard and wearing black carhart coveralls out on the ice stop and say hello.
[signature]
Gonna have to build me one of those! Sounds great! But then, where to put it? Do you have holes in the floor so you can fish inside the command post or is it just a place to warm up and stay out of the weather?
[signature]
The Clam Command Post is a pop up ice tent that measures 7'X12 or so. It does not have a floor. I will post pics when I have a chance. It only takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to set it all up.

Windriver
[signature]
Hey, W/R. You ever do this?

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x768VAsOQSw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x768VAsOQSw[/url]
[signature]