Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing Strawberry Question
So I am heading to the Berry either Thurs or Friday on the pontoon. I am taking both the spinning rod to jig and the fly pole of course. So my question is, will I be ok flyfishing with floating line? What techniques and flies should I use? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
First off, it isn't a fly POLE[Wink]
Next, Why do you want to take a fly outfit if you are more comfortable with spinning?

Yes you would be fine with floating line fishing shallow shore line. Longer leaders and weighted flies.
You could even try deep nymphing a little deeper if you have sonar.

I am going for sure this weekend.
[signature]
How about fly rod??? Smile If I had all the right flies and sinking line, I wouldn't worry abut the spin rod, but just haven't been on a lake all year. Now my buddy has a pontoon too, so that will change. Although I am more comfortable spin fishing on the lake, I want to learn to fly fish on the lake. Just like I use to take both types to the green, but now I only take the fly rod.

I do have sonar. Can you help me understand the set up for deep nymphing? Is it the same as a river and can I use floating line doing that? Thanks for your help.
[signature]
This is where I always pack a floating line. Deep nymphing is my favorite.

You will need slip indicators is you fish deeper than 9', but you can do it with the other indicators, you will just have to take the indicator off some how when you fish 20' or so.

Assuming you dry line has a loop in the end, measure out 20' of mono or fluoro in 6 lb. Put a loop in the end and attach it loop to loop to your fly line.
Now on the fly end, come up about 24" and attach a tag of 12".
Put bead head flies if you have them or maybe a BB split shot at the knot for the tag.
You can attach anything. Buggers, nymphs, scuds, chironomids. Mix it up with different flies, different colors and size.

You won't cast these, but rather lower them between your legs. Set the indicator so they are suspended maybe a foot off the bottom.
Pull out some line and kick back about 20' and wait. Feel free to slowly pull them to a new location. No stripping but an occasional tip lift jerk can help trigger.

Where you thinking of hitting Friday?
[signature]
Thanks for the info. That is great to know. We will be in East Portal Bay. Are you going to be up there Friday?
[signature]
Don't know...was thinking about that 60's degree thing...LOL
[signature]
East Portal is my favorite area to fish the Berry.

I could meet you up there and show you how I fish it.

I used to take a spin rod and fly rod out all the time. Now I just take the fly rod. I fish a floating line a lot and a clear camo line. The camo being my first choice this time of year.

Shoot me an email and I'll show you the flies I use. I live in West Jordan if that's not too far for you to swing by.

Now if The Goddess offers to teach you a thing or two DON'T pass that up. She really knows her stuff.
[signature]