Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye, any advice?
Ive been trying to catch my first Walleye at Utah Lake but no luck i think ive been using the wrong jigs or lures, can any one help me out?
[signature]
Walleye are all over in UL. They have a ton of natural food....chubs n bass so they are not caught as often as they could be. The ones I ahve caught have been while fishing a school of white bass. They hang around the bass and are usually on the bottom. The same lure that work for bass will work for the eyes, but if you are targeting eyes go bigger to avoid tons of white bass in the process. I dont believe in all of the color hype, and Chart or pink usually work fine for me. Tip with worm.

As TubeDude says.....more of this type of fish are caught by those not fishing for them than those who target them....I think that is very true on UL.

Shawn M
[signature]
Advice????? Hmmmm.... give up targeting them on UT lake. I can't count how many hundreds of hours I spent trying to fulfill some kind of walleye fantasy on UT lake. If you find out, I would die to know! Sorry to seem cynical but that fantasy of walleye fishing on UT lake is what got me hooked on fishing and now I just try and go to starvation if I want to target them. There are deffinantly some big ones in there! Maybe the next state record???
[signature]
I second what finedesign said. This spring I read Tubedude's write up on walley fishing at UL, after that I considered myself an expert[:p], and dedicated lots and lots of time this year on targeting those toothy buggers. I ended up landing crappie, LMB, and white bass while I was at it, but no walleye. One night though in late spring I had a fish splash at the shore when he lunged for my 3" jig. Since it was dark out, given the lure I was using, and the amount of aggression involved, I believe it was a walleye, but that's as close as I've been. I'd love to go out with someone who knows how to pound them consistently. I figure I need to invest in sonar, and do lots of trolling with rapalas. This is my conclusion from all of my failed attempts.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not sure what the big appeal is about walleyes. Whatever it is, I got the affliction bad...a long time ago. Sure, they are great on the table. But they got attitudes worse than cats (felines...not fishies) and they do what they want for their own reasons, whenever they get darned good and ready.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are no magic words, pills or shots to guarantee success with walleyes. But, by learning more about their wily ways and putting in some time on the water you will at least develop more excuses for the times you went and did not catch any.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have caught a bunch of walleyes...many even on purpose, while fishing for them. But, like other anglers, a lot of the walleyes I catch are hooked on lures or baits being fished for other species. And I also get blanked on trips when I fish only for eyes. Anybody who claims to catch walleyes whenever they want will lie about other things too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am attaching a copy of the little writeup I put together on Utah Lake Walleyes. Might not help you catch more immediately but it might shorten your personal learning curve.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Cool Pic that you added to your posts!

I think that the best way to catch them isgo out and have fun fishing for other species and it you want to increse your odds, bump up the size of your lure that you are fishing for other species a bit for the eyes. They are in there and they will bite...but dont expect them every trip or even every 10th. There have been a few days when I had a dozen+ days, but the reality is that they have tons of food and dont want to be bothered with your plastic most of the time. I have never "targeted" them, but have headed out with others who have...only to end up empity handed for the eyes and catch a few whities in the process.

Have fun fishing for the other species UL has to offer and they will eventually fall to your lure, not often tho.

Shawn
[signature]
[quote 801fish_hunter]Ive been trying to catch my first Walleye at Utah Lake but no luck i think ive been using the wrong jigs or lures, can any one help me out?[/quote]

yeah sure...stop fishing for them. They are weak fighting fish that are not nearly as much fun to catch as the carp, white bass, and catfish that are much more plentiful in utah lake.
[signature]
do u have any other write outs? if u do u think u can send them 2 me 2?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'll PM you a few things on Utah Lake and UL fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
lincon beach. pm me ill put you on a eye...[fishin]
[signature]
[quote CROSSINEYES]lincon beach. pm me ill put you on a eye...[fishin][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Let me know too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How many have you caught in the last 30 days?[/#0000ff]
[signature]