Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Battery Bag
[cool][#0000ff]I recently got a new Cabelas series 27 AGM battery...for my float tube motor. Also got a new insulated soft side cooler to keep the battery in while fishing on cold fall/winter days. As most of us know, cold weather really knocks the heck out of battery performance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had previously tried using a rigid plastic "Playmate" cooler. It worked okay but was bulky and a tight fit in the motor frame. Then I found a soft side one at Kmart for about $18. Took it home and was pleased to find that the hard plastic battery box for the series 27 battery fit nicely down inside the insulated bag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have had it out on a couple of trips now and it seems to help keep the battery from "chillin" and running down too fast. But, when the weather is going to be TOO cold, I can always drop in one of those little handwarmer packets before zipping the top closed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While I am using this for float tubing, I can't help but believe that it would be good for tooning and for boaters with electric trolling motors too...for a little extra juice at the end of the day, rather than having to row back in or shortening your fishing time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For wimps who do not fish in the cold, disregard the above and don't look at the pictures.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I didn't know you were using a full size Deep Cycle Battery. Kind of figured it would be too heavy. Sure looks like you have it all figured out though.[Wink]
So do you motor around alot? What is the running time for your setup?
I'm thinking of putting something together for next year for my toon. But the weight is a big issue. Kind of thinking of getting another bigger toon for the motoring around feature.
Your setup looks very efficient, and compact. No surprise there.[cool]
[signature]
I think you need the BIG batteries for motors. You can get by with smaller, but they aren't going to last as long. It also depends on the motor.

I find my DC batteries last 3 to 4 years.

You will get more hours on a pontoon then on a float tube because of drag.

That is an impressive battery. My battery specs are
Reserve Capacity 180
Cranking Amps @ 32° is 845
Cold Cranking Amps @ 0° is 675

I had a 6' Bucks Bag Alpine that I had a motor on. You just need to make sure on a pontoon that the battery is right behind the seat, and you need to adjust both on the pontoons so they are centered.

My pontoon is like a big 9' Fat Cat with an inflatable floor. Because of that inflatable floor, it doesn't matter where my weight is. Like CPierce said, I think someone could sit on the back of the toon and it will still ride pretty level.

That is the same effect Tube Dude created by putting boat bumpers under his tube.

When I say, motor makes a difference, I had a Minn Kota 30. I could get maybe 5 to 7 hours of steady running varying speeds (newer battery, it will drop as years get added)
I switched to a Minn Kota 40 Maxxum and I can get 3 days.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have experimented with several size batteries, beginning with a small 33 amp/hour battery that only weighed 24 pounds. I got a package deal from another BFTer who sold me a series 24 and a series 27 battery together...for a good price. I tried them both and ran the heck out of them to guage the longevity of each. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did drain the series 24 after a long day at Deer Creek. And Tube Babe has taken it down to the "slow...no go" stage a couple of times at Starvation. So, she decided she wanted a series 27 too. Now we gots two. Of course I had to try the new one first...since she is in California for a couple of weeks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big AGM battery from Cabelas is HEAVY. I was not sure if it would add too much weight...about 10 pounds more than my other 27. But, with the big boat bumpers I installed earlier my tube still floats level with both battery and motor installed, and before I climb aboard. And I hardly know it is there while fishing. Yesterday at Huntington I fished the entire perimeter of the lake...mostly kicking with fins. I only used the motor for short bursts to get to another spot I wanted to fish. It does not add drag or impede maneuverablity but greatly aids in getting from point A to point B.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I haven't had an opportunity to see how long the new battery will run on the float tube. With the older model I was able to run all over Rabbit Gulch on Starvation...and even do some trolling before coming in...and still had a pretty good amount of power left in the battery before recharging.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As FG points out, you will get a lot more efficiency with a pontoon than I do with a tube. Lots more drag in the water when you have legs and a fish basket restricting the power of the motor. Easier to push a streamlined craft across the top of the water than to plow through it with a heavy tuber.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Your toon is a good "step up" from a float tube. But, if you want POWER you should look for a good deal on a larger toon capable of carrying and balancing the extra weight of battery and motor. Trying to make your current ride work will likely leave you frustrated...or worse.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It is all about moving the frame forward or back to balance it out.
A 6 foot pontoon is pretty small, in fact the new version is 7 foot, but here you go:

[Image: P5250027640.jpg]

Pretty level to me
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As one of our noteworthy evangelists used to say "Whatever the mind can conceive...and you believe...you can achieve."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Musta been a tuber or tooner.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
When did you say that...LOL
I was going to say, you mention a larger toon....you showed sized doesn't matter (tube wise[Wink
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Size DOES matter. You gots to have a place to pack, stack or attach whatever you add on. I have worked pretty hard to get a whole lotta "stuff" onto my inflated hunkarubber. Not sure I could add any more without a second deck.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As we all agree, a toon presents slightly different considerations...such as balance. It is [/#0000ff][#0000ff]okay to load it up but you gotta be able to fish too...without having to remain rigidly upright and unable to sneeze without capsizing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have fished with Toadly and have seen first hand that he is limited in what he can reasonably add on without a serious affect on the balance and stability. I am sure he could add a small motor and a small battery...and mess with the extensions on the seat and footrest bars. But I am also sure he would be much happier with a craft large enough to handle a motor and battery and still be stable and level. Trying to add extra floatation with the boat bumpers...to a toon...is probably not as practical as with a tube. I'm sure it could be done, and would probably work...for extra floatation...but it would impact the efficiency of the motor by adding more drag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About that quote...I can't take credit for it. But, I can do a good stand-up imitation of a pulpit-pounding southern preacher man...full of fire...and other stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Can I get an AMEN on that?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Cool bag, T.D.! Good ideas on keeping the battery warm. You can also use Thermacare strips attached to the battery itself, but I don't know how their price is compared to a hand warmer.

This heating raises the reserve capacity which is the main measure of how long or far a battery will go in deep discharge mode. I don't see how CCA etc. make any difference in troll motor applications.

Been meaning to ask, what does the pink noodle piece at the seat back do?

Pon
[signature]
"Been meaning to ask, what does the pink noodle piece at the seat back do?"

[cool][#0000ff]That is a neck/head rest. I extended the length of the (too low) back seat (with PVC...what else>) and added the noodle...to rest my noodle. Gives me more kicking power when I have to lay back and throw up a roostertail...or tow a water skier. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, the noodle used to be orange...now faded to pink. Probably should get another color to avoid too many friendly "sailors". Hi ho![/#0000ff]
[signature]
Very cool, I mean warm. After seeing this I need to figure out how to add a warmer/cooler to mine or maybe even a bigger battery. Once again what a great idea.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Actually, any protection you can give the battery in cold weather will prolong the output. I only recently started using the motor and battery on my float tube but have been dealing with cold weather on the batteries for my sonar for years. I found that simply wrapping them in a couple of layers of towels inside the pockets would help keep the direct cold away from the batteries and they would have a lot more juice left at the end of the day. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When we are limited in space for stowing a battery in our float tubes, it is tough to add even more bulk and get away with it. I was happily surprised to find that bag fit in the space alloted. It is a tight squeeze but it works. Not sure what could be done with float tubes with less space in the rear compartment. I guess you could carry the battery on your lap...or hang it around your neck on a chain like the rappers do with those big clocks.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Question, my battery states crank amps down to 32°. Now I do fish in the cold, but not in my tube/pontoon.
Even hitting Strawberry this time of year early...maybe 30°.
How often are you in your tube where it is too cold for a battery?
I know you are a weather watcher.
I have been in my boat in a blizzard but again, probably right around 32°

That 900+ on that Cabela's battery is pretty impressive though.

Now ICE FISHING I think that this is a must, but again new for me. For that I think I will go a little more padding in the ice chest and take my small batteries as the sonar doesn't need a 27....LOL
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not that I am a big fan of frigid fishing. But this time of year is some of the best fishing and the early mornings are sometimes frosty. I have launched quite a few times in temps under 20 degrees...Huntington, Deer Creek and Jordanelle. But that is about the time the surface starts skimming over and I seldom hit such waters many more times.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did not get the bag with the idea I would be taking my tube out on the ice, but simply wanted to experiment with an alternative for others who are nearly as nutsy as I am. How much extra power will it mean in a day's fishing? Me not know. For sonar I continue to use the small SLA batteries too. But I have another cooler bag I use to carry sonar and batteries for ice fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Right you are on the cold mornings. We have done our share, but mostly manual.
Again, that is an impressive battery. The price at just under 2 hundred is impressive, but that one year warranty isn't.

Just remember, your car battery is getting you there....[Wink]
[signature]
Again, that is an impressive battery. The price at just under 2 hundred is impressive, but that one year warranty isn't.

Just remember, your car battery is getting you there....

[cool][#0000ff]Getting harder to find a battery with a long unconditional warranty anymore. Even Walmart quit offering their 3 year replacement because so many people were beating the heck out of them for a couple of years and then turning them in for new ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suspect that batteries are like most of the things we buy. If they have a defect or go bad it will usually be pretty soon after we buy them. And the manufacturers have no control over how they are used and abused so it is unwise to issue a long guarantee on something can can be abused by someone and then returned under warranty. Lots of unscrupulous folks out there (not us fishermen). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I feel more comfortable with long warrantees too, but I would rather have good gear that won't fail. You also mentioned car batteries. When I lived in Arizona I bought car batteries with a 5 year warranty but had to replace them in less than 2 years...prorated for actual use...so I really didn't get free replacement. The worst part was that the heat in Arizona really kills batteries fast and whenever I had one suddenly die it was usually while I was in a remote area. I once had to hike several miles in 110 degree heat to get back to a main road and flag down someone who would take me back and give me a jump start.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, that is one of the unanticipated benefits of carrying my new powerful motor battery on my fishing trips. If my car battery dies I already got my jump start with me. (I always have jumper cables and a tow strap in my vehicle)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I never got much out of any battery warranty anyway, unless it failed within the 100% replacement period. Prorate is a joke, as you can usually find another brand on sale for less when prorate is taken into account. Even then, you have to get transport to the chain or place you got it, if it not too far, have your receipt where you can find it for some, disassemble and install yourself or wait in long lines and return the old battery. So I like your idea of a second battery that lets you do the replacement at your convenience.

Pon

[quote TubeDude]Again, that is an impressive battery. The price at just under 2 hundred is impressive, but that one year warranty isn't.

Just remember, your car battery is getting you there....

[cool][#0000ff]Getting harder to find a battery with a long unconditional warranty anymore. Even Walmart quit offering their 3 year replacement because so many people were beating the heck out of them for a couple of years and then turning them in for new ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suspect that batteries are like most of the things we buy. If they have a defect or go bad it will usually be pretty soon after we buy them. And the manufacturers have no control over how they are used and abused so it is unwise to issue a long guarantee on something can can be abused by someone and then returned under warranty. Lots of unscrupulous folks out there (not us fishermen). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I feel more comfortable with long warrantees too, but I would rather have good gear that won't fail. You also mentioned car batteries. When I lived in Arizona I bought car batteries with a 5 year warranty but had to replace them in less than 2 years...prorated for actual use...so I really didn't get free replacement. The worst part was that the heat in Arizona really kills batteries fast and whenever I had one suddenly die it was usually while I was in a remote area. I once had to hike several miles in 110 degree heat to get back to a main road and flag down someone who would take me back and give me a jump start.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, that is one of the unanticipated benefits of carrying my new powerful motor battery on my fishing trips. If my car battery dies I already got my jump start with me. (I always have jumper cables and a tow strap in my vehicle)[/#0000ff][/quote]
[signature]
I know the prorate thing is not even close to the new cost, but I like a little something. Heck even $10. would be cool. But, I get a fair deal on trade ins because I buy from the same person each time.

The jump start off the fancy battery is what I meant...So, the battery sitting in the back of your vehicle cost about 3 times give or take what the one getting you to the lake cost...Funny, Priorities I say!!!!

Heat can kill a battery way worse than cold...by the way 26° at launch this morning...water still in the upper 40's...glass smooth till we decided to leave "DANG IT!"
[signature]
"The jump start off the fancy battery is what I meant...So, the battery sitting in the back of your vehicle cost about 3 times give or take what the one getting you to the lake cost...Funny, Priorities I say!!!!"

[cool][#0000ff]Being a battery ex-spurt I am sure you realize the basic difference between a "car battery" and one made for deep cycle use. Completely drain and recharge your car battery a few times and you will have some early problems with it. There are batteries that claim to be good both for "cranking" and "deep cycle". But I have been told that whenever you build one for overlapping duties something has to give...and one or the other is not as good as if it would be if made solely for the primary need. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, the new AGM technology adds a few bucks to the basic cost.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But it's only money. Right? [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Right you are on the difference in batteries. Good to put that out there for those that are new to this.

I put the deep cycle one in my car once and it would only head for water..[laugh][laugh][laugh]

They are using Glass plates in more equipment so look forward to your reports on this battery.
Still have a couple years on mine though.
[signature]