Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alexander problem?
I have a question.... Alexander is one of my fave fishing spots but the carp are becoming way overbering.. Is there a way to try and get the fishing game or whome ever to put a few dumpsters at the main areas of this res to put the carp in after caught. I am planing this comong summer to have a bunch of people I know go out there and just try and catch carp to try and thin them out there are so many in there that they ned thinning out so other fish can thrive also... So back to my question any one know who I need to talk to to try and get them to put out dumpsters..
[signature]
I kind of doubt you will get dumpsters to be placed as fish coffins in the parking lots. Lots of issues with that for sure from public relations to sanitary issues. I do not think I would support that.
I was wondering tho.......what effect do the carp have on other species? Do they eat the eggs of other fish like I hear the suckers do? I kind of thought they were more of a nuisance/pest rather than a problem effecting other fish populations. I am curious about that for sure. Does anyone know how much of an effect they have on the water they are in? I know competition for food would be an issue but are they feeding on the same sources of food as trout or perch or bass or even catfish?
[signature]
If they were to put one large dumpster there on a given day and remove it that same day and say send it to a fertilizer plant I don't see the problem. What do they do with all the fish from the carp derby? I would say an overpopulation of carp would most definitely be a problem for other species survival as they will eat other small fish as well as compete for food, I'm not a biologist but i have seen many fishing areas become overrun with them and fish and game has been known to poison reservoirs to get rid of the populations so why not hold a derby on some res where it is a problem and at least thin them out, and not destroy the fishery for a couple years.
[signature]
I would support and probably participate in a derby. That is a way good way to think of it for sure. Also the removal of the dumpster to the fertilzer plant or where ever on that same day is a great idea. I would think you could possibly get all the right officials involved or at least thinking with that train of thought. Somewhere for the fish to go is key I think. Even tho they are just carp, and they may be problematic, I just don't like throwing them aside any longer. I understand and don't really care if someone else is but it's just not my thing anymore. Old age? I am sure I am not the only one with those thoughts either.
Dumpster moving daily could get expensive. A long term derby....a few weekends, could put a dent in the fish. How many people could/would participate on just one day. May comes and there are lots of things to do besides a carp derby. Other fishing, little league, track meets, mothers day, etc. A couple weekends or weeks would be ideal. Who would be the benificiary of the carp? Would they help out with the expense of the dumpster? The dumpster owner? Empty barrells? Those are not hard to find as many places who use 55 gallon drums are looking to get rid of them easier/cheaper than they currently do.
A small entry fee, a few sponsers (very minimal) and away you go.
[signature]
fact with and over population of one fish can over run ever other species of fish and rid of natural resources of food and habitat... Fact carp are extremely territorial and will chase of or kill any fish in it's territory.... So any way an over population of carp is a bad thing they are huge fish and get huge very fast just this summer late summer I was out there and I was next to the damn I sat there in my tube and took 4 pictures of the boiling water of carp a fron bolth sides and behind me the water was literaly boiling with carp thousand of carp in one spot and very large ones to boot.... There are dumpsters specificaly for carp at some res all over it's more sanitary that just throwing them on the bank.. And better than them poisening the lake to rid of them as for the obvious things like totaly destroing the other fish as well it ruins fishing waters for many years befor they start to recover.. I read some where once that for every one carp there are 3 other speicies run out or killed .. Ever noticed that in an carp poulated area that you rarely catch anything else ... Because carp are teritorial all other fish stay away. I say destroy the carp in a habitat safe manner which meanse killing them one by one they do the waters little good besides no matter how hard we try it will never be emptied of them maby thined..
[signature]
So maybee put the dumpster there for a week, and try to get a fertilizer plant involved maybee say the put and remove the dumpster and the carcasses are theres, I don't know but i have lost many a good fishinghole too carp overpopulation and would participate in a chance to help with an ecological means to remove them.
[signature]
When there are bowfishing tourneys at Ut lake, the carp are given to the Utah Furbearers association for mink food. Pig farms usually welcome them too.
[signature]
I never even thought of pig farms that sounds like a good idea I know of a couple pig farms that just might do this I still need to get ahold of the totaly helpless and lost idaho fish and game though to see if I can get it aproved first..
[signature]
i would love to do a carp derby... i dont know that it will put much a dent in the population (if any) but it would be a great time and maybe even bring some attention by the f&g....

I dont know how territorial a carp is but i dont know how they can kill fish in there territory. big or not there still toothless... carp have become a huge problem in the whole bear river drainage.... i would love to see the fish and game do something but i honestly dont know what can be done without a huge effort like in utah lake. i know utah state did some study on the effect of carp in cutler res. and basicly there finding were without carp other sport fish had nothing to feed on... sounds crazy to me but what do i know...
[signature]
There are quite a few Carp below Gem Lake Dam. All I've caught were a few planter rainbows, but I did see one around 4 ft long swimming along the surface. I've been back several times to try for a carp, partially because I think it would be fun, and because I think I'd like to try cooking one.

I'm surprised how big carp fishing is as a sport in europe, and while we consider it a trash fish, there are a few recipes that might not be too bad.

They deffinitely need to be thinned out most places though. Someone was telling a story about fishing on the snake (maybe it was on here). He had a pretty big pile of Carp behind him on the bank when Fish and Game walked up and told him he wished more people would do that. The officer cut open one of the carp and they have roughly 300,000 eggs compared to 2,000 or so for the brown trout, I assume other trout species are the same.
[signature]
My wife caught a monster carp last summer. We took it home and skinned it. She cut it in hunks, breaded it and fried it. I had always heard about all the bones in carp. Turns out the bones are big flat Y shaped things that are simple to remove when eating, far easier than those little splinters in a planter trout. The carp tasted really good, we'd eat another one any time. Plus, it was the biggest fish she ever caught, and certainly the hardest fight. It almost spooled her twice.
[signature]
All right this is going to sound weird to most of you, but yes I am confessing, I have cooked and eaten carp.

First step is choose a fish from CLEAN, cold water.

Second step is bleed the fish immediately and then put it on ice.

Third step is to fillet it (and debone it) and remove ALL of the dark meat close to the skin.

Fourth, and this is just my preference, I soaked the fillets in a brine for about 30 min. to an hour. I just used a salt and brown sugar mild brine. This is something I generally do for most game meats, and I thought it might remove any overly strong flavors. I don't know if it was necessary as I didn't leave any fillets out to try and see if there was a difference. I should have, I am curious if it makes a difference.

I then grilled them just to get the actual flavor and not the flavor of a breading.

Actually it was quite good, very mild in flavor. Not like perch or other white fleshed fish. It was a light color and more closely resembled the texture of trout or salmon. Closest description would be the flavor and texture of a reservoir trout.

The main problem with carp is the massive amount of bones in it. They have floating Y bones like pike do. I think that smoked or canned would be a good option with them. Canned would probably be the easiest way to get away from the bone problem.

There is a set of 3 youtube videos on dealing with the bones and filleting carp that are excellent. They are about the silver or flying carp, but the ideas are the same for common carp or pike. Here is the link to the third one on deboning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhGkjwxm_...re=related

I suggest that you watch at least it and the first one. The flying carp are fascinating. What a pest! The second one shows an easy way to cut it up for frying. Leaving the large Y bones in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1NVUV8yhmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-fmA07g...re=related

Also I should say, that they have a massive egg sack. I have heard that it is prized and eaten in Asian cultures. Also I have heard of caviar being made from it. I imagine that it could be made into some great fish bait for the bait fishing crowd.

Otherwise the pigs should love it, or it will make some great fertilizer if you can bury it to avoid the smell. --- A field far far away!

I just hate to see it go to a land fill, and least of all do I want to see(or smell) any on the banks, or floating belly up in the water!
[signature]
Hey, I am glad I am not the only one with the courage to say that they can be good eating. Congratulations to your wife on her catch.

I think that most people who tried it and didn't like it, didn't skin the fish and remove the dark meat. I also think that the problem with the Y bones is that many end up cutting them in half which leaves twice as many smaller bones in. Leave them whole and they are easily removed or eaten around.

Carp are an amazing fight on a fly rod. They are often referred to as fresh water or golden bonefish, as many fly fishermen hunt them out to hone their casting skills on before going to the Gulf. I haven't ever fished for actual bonefish so I can't compare, but carp are sure fun!

Another misconception is that they are easy to catch and will eat anything. I certainly haven't found that to be the case. They spook very easily and are extremely picky about my fly and presentation. I don't know that I would be able to catch very many to make much of a dent in the population.
[signature]
I have been bank fishing Willard for a bit now and have noticed alot of Carp( thousands) on the South Bank milling around the surface. They just seem to be slowly moving, some with there mouths at the surface, I cant tell what they are eating. We have tried jigs and bobbers near the surface , with no interest. Infact they scare off when you cast near them. I am Cat fishing to, they leave my bait alone.(Chub meat).
So whats up?How does one catch one of these crazy things?
[signature]
I have caught most of mine by accident! They have mostly been on nymphs and leech imitations. The last one I caught was in Oneida Res and it was on a crawfish colored woolly bugger fished close down on the rocks. I was targeting small mouth and walleyes.

I haven't caught very many carp while targeting them. I did get a couple from Stone Res that I targeted. It was more of a case where I cast a nymph ahead of the carp feeding close to shore. When it got close to where my nymph was I lifted it very slightly and it took it. But you can't cast close to them or let them see you or they are off like a shot.
[signature]
The clean water thing was my thought too. We have some nice water here in Idaho, and the less garbage on the bottom, the cleaner any fish will be.
[signature]
regardless of all this eating them stuff?? There is an carp infestation problem and there needs to be somthing done want to know how to catch carp a big fat jucie night crawler.. Is what I want to do is try and maby get idaho fish and game to start taking interest in somthing other than cutts and the game half they have been slacking off bad we once had amazing fishing places here and we still do but they are disapering fast....
[signature]
Well, about the only way to really make a dent in the population is to create a market for the fish and then get permission to net them on a larger scale.

A lot of bow hunters together might be able to knock off a number of them, but I still doubt if it will make a difference, unless you have a lot of bow hunters out there every day.

In my opinion the number that anglers are going to catch is going to be minimal, but at least it is some.

I am not meaning for you to drop your project, I think you have a good point. I am wondering if some 9ft 11in nets between a bunch of boats might be able to herd in a few.
[signature]
Get a hold of Rob at the Idaho Bowfishing Assiociation and see if they can put a shoot or two on the schedule next year.
[signature]
Grab a handfull of Cornflakes dip it in the water, form a doughball on a treble hook with a drop of vanilla extract on it. A crazy old Cajun gave me that recipe and said it worked great for catfish, I don't know about the catfish but the carp love it.[cool] Oh, fish it on the bottom.[fishin]
[signature]