Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Questions
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Friends,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I'v never fished the Gorge ... don't think I've ever even been there![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I realy want to go fish it. And here are my questions:[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I'm not a fan of things like down riggers, planer boards, or ford fendesr connected to my fishing line. I just prefer simple line and lure setups. Having said that, is there an eaisy way for me to fish for macks at the Gorge without a down-rigger? I have a hunch that even paid guides wouldn't accomidate that question/request.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Second question, I enjoy trolling and would like to know the best places/lures/times to troll for good size fish of any species at the Gorge.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Third question, any one want to go to the gorge with me and teach me some of this stuff? I'd be glad to provide the boat and transportation.[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=Old_Coot"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=Old_Coot[/url];
[signature]
If you want to catch them on mono trolling it has to be Fall through early Spring. I have found that March is best if the weather is permitting. Just wondering why you would not want to jig for them. As you would lakers at bear lake. Imagine the fun you had with BLM last year only this time the fish are just larger. Jigging techniques similar to those at the bear will work. You just need to move if you spook the fish. And many times you need to up the size of the jig compared to those used at the bear.
[signature]
Tightline is right. Either troll on top during the cold months or jig.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks Tightline and Gumbo,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I was wondering if jigging for macks at the gorge wouldn't be similar to that of Bear Lake. What's the prime months for jigging for macks on the Gorge? Can I expect fair success this time of year?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Oh, and YES, those big ones will get released back. However, since I LOVE eating lake trout, if I catch a 5-8 lber, it's going in the cooler (just one though).[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Anyone else with Gorge tips, I'd love to hear them.[/size][/font]
[signature]
OC,

The Gorge is really slow right now for everything. Wait until fall. For jigs, go to Flaming Gorge Lodge on the way out and pick up a couple of whatever they currently recommend. I like to use huge bucktail jigs (1/2 to 2 oz.) I get in the Bass Pro Marine catalog. If you don't know the reservoir at all, I suggest fishing Lucerne Bay to Start (launch out of Manila). Just watch where the other boats are concentrating and start there. Bring a boat with good electronics. You will usually be able to spot the macs near the bottom. If it is breezy/windy, use your electric to stay on top of the fish and go with very heavy jigs. You want a vertical presentation. It also helps to tip your jig with a little sucker or similar meat. When the lake turns over in the fall, you can flatline large plugs like Rapala Magnums and such. Make sure to get your two pole stamp before you go so you can maximize your trolling presentation. You will also need a Wyoming reciprocal (sp) stamp if you head north of the border. Hope this helps.

Good Mac Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
My experience is they can be caught jigging all throughout the summer but really start to get a little more aggressive as fall gets closer and they get in the prespawn mode. I am sure you will get a few 5lb cooler fish no matter when you go if you have decent sonar. I am leaving today and will be up there for the next 10 days if you are planning a trip during this time PM me before 12:00 with your number and I will give you a call and hook up.
[signature]
Don't feel like you have to release all the fish. The Macs are on the verge of over population and the DWR is asking people to keep limits of the smaller macs.

fdg
[signature]
The best time to jig at the Gorge is when the wind isn't blowing. Once it kicks up, you better have a plan B.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey Coot![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Don't wait for cold weather to get up there. I just spent three days on the Gorge with IFG and it's a whole lot easier to learn the locations and techniques when it's warm. I was lucky. IFG is a wiz on that lake. We didn't catch a whole lot of fish but We had a great time. I learned a lot of new tricks but also found out it is very similar to what I already was accustom to.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I was surprised at how critical location can be. Structure makes all the difference in the world. I'm no expert on the Gorge by a long shot but knowing which areas and structure hold large fish help. Good electronics are a must. I took no GPS points but I could find the structure again.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Being able to stay on the fish is essential. Like Kayote said, an electric is a popular way to stay on them. There are several people who were using them but a bank of batteries are required to fish all day.The wind or lack of it is the key. We anchored up because of the wind and got on to fish. You may not have the option of good weather when you are there and may need a backup plan. Also be aware that the Gorge is a big lake and can produce some good wave action if and when the wind kicks up. Something to consider when using a smaller boat such as yours.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Jigging is basically the same. You may want to add a few buzz bombs to your arsenal and a few slugos. Heavy jigheads in wind are a must to keep vertical in the wind. I tested some of TD's "experimental" large spearhead tude jighead with a spinner blade on them. They proved to have excellent flash and action. WE gave them a good testing but caught no fish on them but we didn't catch a lot of fish on anything. I would recommend having a few if you can sweet talk TD out of a few.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]There are a few good hotels to stay in Manila and after Labor day, room price will go down to $40 or less. There are two restraunt or cafes that serve from 6:00am to 9:00pm so there is coffee and a breakfast in the morning and there is a meal after a long day of fishing. The Vacation Inn has kitchenettes with a small fridge and range but NO utensils or pots of any kind. If you decide to go there pack a box of ALL cooking utensils. [/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Thanks again all for the great info. Even BLM's info about motels and such .. very good. I will be needing it as I do plan to make a trip up to the gorge and fish it for the first time. I haven't made any definate plans yet but it is sure on my mind.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]BLM,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Were you guys using down riggers?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We jigged and used downriggers.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Did the IFG's glow cause more problems with the catching BLM? Ha, Ha, just kidding. Did you guys do any smallmouth fishing? WH2
[signature]
Coot,

A couple of things to consider, I "assume" you have a smaller boat. Like BLM said, the wind can come up without warning and the lake can get nasty in a hurry if you are on the big section near Lucerne. You might want to consider Sheep Creek bay to launch at. It's much more sheltered than Lucerne and you can get back to the launch without running through big water. Guys fish Linwood Bay in small boats a lot, but, be careful. After Labor Day is an excellent time to fish and the fishing will only get better through the winter. Spend a couple of days learning the lake now and you will be better prepared for the cold weather, you spend less time looking and more time fishing. 80 FEET, find 80 feet on a ledge or a mound and you are there. I'd be glad to help if I can, but, judging from this weekends performance, you might want to listen to someone else. I have the phone numbers of motels in the area if you need them. I also know a good place for a $5.00 turkey sandwich if you find youself in need of one. Bring everything you think you need because you'll pay double for it in Manila. Also, gas is 20 cents a gallon cheaper in Evanston than anywhere else along the way.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We did not, We chased macks with a little koke trolling in the mix. That could of been fun as a sideline but our goal were big macks.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm still learning the lake myself. I have not caught any of the monsters in there but I fish like you are suggesting. I have picked up a couple of maps that have been marked as to the location where a number of 40+ lakers and 20+ Browns have been caught on the lake. If you are making a trip, send me a p.m. No sense in you buying the maps if you can borrow them from me. You may have seen the map made by Ray Johnson. He has a lot of tips on the map for times of the year and techniques. I have found it useful for giving me an idea of where to start, and then just watch the electronics from there.
[signature]