Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orofino Steelhead 11/10 11/11
Fished two days on the clearwater between Kamiah and Orofino and did great. Hooked up with 13 fish in two days with most going over 30". The biggest went 35" and is my biggest steely to date. The over all was 35" length, 16 1/2 girth and 14" at the head and came in around 17lbs. What a monster! Mostly drifted Roe sacks or shrimp on a diver. What a great run this year.

Sorry about the file sizes, didnt get time to resize them.
[signature]
Awesome!good looking fish. i will be spending all of thanksgiving week fishing for steelies. I'm sure i will be in Oriphino. anybody no a good float through that stretch?
[signature]
Nice fish! [Smile]

I need to make a trip to the Clearwater one of these days and catch some of those B-run steelhead.
[signature]
Those are some pigs. I want to get back up there again bad. Do you know if they are still catching fish below dworshak?
[signature]
A good stretch to float on the Clearwater:

That area is loaded with excellent access. A common and diverse section of river to float is from Pink House Hole to below Kaylers Bend downriver of Peck. Its about 8 miles. (I think?) I don't remember the name of the takeout. It is a newer IDFG access point.

Other floats above Orofino are good, too. About 4-5 miles above Orofino are a few concrete boat ramps. People will float from there to the Clearwater Power ramps just up from the Hatchery.

A shorter float would be from Clearwater Power ramps down to Pink House. Maybe 2-3 miles.

There are a number of easy float stretches from Lewiston all the way to Kamiah.

The river is really forgiving up there. Before I purchased a driftboat I floated my 13' Gregor like a driftboat from Pink House to Lenore. 17 miles. No problem.

Last year on a trip I saw a 13' boston whaler float through shallows with the dudes using canoe paddles and they used the outboard to side drift the deeper holes as they floated by. They'd hang the rods in the holders and backtroll, too. Dedicated anglers.

Do everyone a favor and be certain to buckle your PFD.

I heard a few anglers are hooking into some BIG fall run chinook while steelhead fishing.

Good luck.
[signature]
On the way back up the River last Sunday, Most Drifters were between Kooskia and Several miles below Kamiah! The Wife and I hooked 5 last weekend landed 3, one of which was a Big One with an Adipose!

Fun Weekend using beads and bobbers! We hit all ours from the bank. One up by Harpster on the SFork. 2 right below Clear Creek and the Other two a couple miles below Kamiah.
[signature]
yesterday was a little slow, but beautiful weather wise.
Only three hook ups ~ two cookie cutter hatchery hens and a nicer wild Buck!
[signature]