Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I walked on hard deck today!!!-Henrys
I checked the road report last night and saw that highway 20 was still closed so I didn't bother getting up early. I checked the road report again around 10:00 and it was still closed but I didn't believe it so I jumped in the truck and headed to Island Park. When I hit Ashton I saw that I had jumped the gun. There was a huge line of cars and semis backed up waiting for the road to open. Talked to a guy who had talked to the plow operator and said it would be about 2 hours so my son and I settled in for a wait. While we were waiting I got bored and decided to eat lunch at Big Juds. Just as we were finishing up the road opened up.

It took us awhile to get up to Henrys due to the traffic that had been waiting for days.

We couldn't go to the State boat ramp area because it was blown in. Then we took a look at the Hatchery, it was blown in as well (no place to park). The County Boat ramp area had huge drifts, no place to park. There was no way we were going to make it down the public access road to the North of the County Boat dock, we couldn't even see the road at all. So we settled on a small pull out on the N.W corner of the lake.

We only had a couple of hours until dark, but we found a decent hole. We caught nine with the biggest being a 24 1/2 inch hybrid. My son caught it so it doesn't count in the contest. The smallest fish was a 17" brookie that I caught.

All fish were caught on either a white or a chartruese paddle bug in 8' of water.

We are going back out in the morning for a few hours before Thanksgiving dinner so I will let everyone know how it goes.

Windriver
[signature]
Now that is a die hard ice fisherman. Sounds like you did great for the few hours you were able to fish. You did forget one thing and I know there are about 50 others waiting for the answer.

How thick was the ice? and was it good ice?
[signature]
3" of "good" ice. I went back this morning. I will report later. I have to get to Thanksgiving dinner.

Windriver
[signature]
Glad you made it up WindRiver! My son and I made it to Henry's by 7:00 am Thanksgiving morning; I know what you mean about access being snowed in, but we busted a trail into the lake. We had a great morning icing 23, largest being caught by my son at nearly five pounds at 22'' We did catch four runts that looked like community pond planters, but we made up for it with most fish being over 18''. Ice was 6 inches in our location. Best action was at dawn and from 10:30-11:00 am; probably would have caught fish all day. By the way tried out my new Nils auger I will second everyones positive review. As far as what I used paddlebugs and my own variety of tube jigs; pink and and glow white worked best.

I am not yet submitting a photo; I just used the contest flier, because it looks cool!

OvidCreek
[signature]
Today's Henry's Thanksgiving Photos

OvidCreek
[signature]
Wow Great Report and Pictures . Thanks Curt G.
[signature]
Your son doesn't look too happy to be there. What was the temperature when you took that pic ? Maybe his lips are just frozen and he can't Smile[Wink]
[signature]
Great pics O.C.! It just looks like even the fish are cold, to me! [Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Sounds like you had a good time. It was really cold this morning. I am curious where you found 6". I was by Staleys Springs this morning so maybe that would account for the 3" of ice.

I haven't got a big hybrid yet, but my son caught one that was 24 1/2 and then he caught another one that went 25" this morning. I did get a 21" brookie, then of course my son bested me with a huge 22" male brookie. I've got to have him set everything up and fix my snapped lines all day.[crazy]

Windriver
[signature]
wind did you end up taking your wall tent or brave the cold and sleep in the car? i love the pics ovid. not sure which looks colder your boy or the fish
[signature]