Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Fly Rod?
Has anyone ever tried using over sized guides on a fly rod to keep ice from forming?
I was thinking about using the Fuji guides for a spinning rod. Use the 3 mid rod sizes, like about 3 of each size and then a large end guide.
It would add weight but would it help to keep the guides free of ice?
[signature]
i use butter, the stick kind on my guides on most rods. on the helios they have crush proof recoil guides and i just push them down and they come free. give stick better a try, i reapply about once an hour or so
[signature]
I bought the Greys 4 wt. off the Deals On The Fly, and yes the guides are bigger and YES they make a difference. I even made comment on just that.
What a great idea! Make a winter rod. But it would also be just fine in warm weather.
Guide placement is going to be important though for casting. I mean I have an EAGLE CLAW that has huge guides, but casts like crap.
[signature]
Are the guides snake or fuji?
I think that I will give this a try with fuji guides.
[signature]
Snake. I thought Fuji was for spinning.
[signature]
The Fuji guides are slick ceramic. This should aid in repelling water.
Yes they are normally associated with spinning rods but should be a good choice for the winter fly rod.
The extra weight of them may be noticeable.
[signature]
True on the weight thing. I do like the ceramic strippers though.
[signature]
The Okumo Nomad setup uses spinning style guides not sure if there Fuji but there definately spinning style guides.
[signature]
Yes, but it isn't fly is it? I had one of those combos years ago that was spinning, turn the handle around and fly...IT SUCKED! Because of the spinning guides. Too much slap, couldn't get any distance. Plus allot less guides.

For me, snake guides make more sense. Bigger opening with an arch from rod blank up, not a big hole raised off the blank.
[signature]
I like this idea.
It will also need an oversize tip guide with a small sleeve for the rod tip.
Now where can we get the guides to do it?
[signature]
Fish Tech has them. I bought one for MacFly's LL.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Yes, but it isn't fly is it?[/quote]

Its marketed as a spin\ fly setup and from the pic on bass pro's website looks like a classic fly rod but with spinning guides....

http://tinyurl.com/26kuzep

[signature]
It didn't show up.
"I" just don't think a rod set up for spinning can be a good fly rod.
Bait cast MIGHT. Even Orvis combo was a good spinning but a lousy fly.
I think you need at LEAST 9 guides on a fly rod for a smooth transition and spinning doesn't have that many or if they did, it would be heavy.

I have no experience with the other guides, so I can't say one way or the other.
Here is the Greys tip top

[Image: IMG_2345.jpg]
[signature]
Your probably right I know nothing of rod building just though id throw it out there

http://www.basspro.com/Okuma-Nomad-Trave...9/-1649979
[signature]
Are you talking about the one you fixed or the one on the list to be put together.. :-)

btw.. looked at the picture of the rod in question.. it has six spinning guides and a tippy top...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]