Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
salt water line
[font "Times New Roman"]My question is can I use my 9wt intermediate sink tip saltwater line designed for Stripers in the cold weather ….. in Freshwater in the local Salmon fishery. The season runs Dec. – March. I would think it should be fine but I don’t know if there is a difference between salt and fresh water lines. Are there any issues that you think I may run into or is there any special care I should be aware of? [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Thanks [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]jim [/font]
[signature]
I am not an expert, and I am really only taking a guess, but I would think that it would be fine to use a saltwater line in fresh. Not so good to use freshwater equipment in salt though.

From what I understand saltwater is more corrosive to a line, so the saltwater fly lines are made to withstand that corrosion better. With that in mind I don't think using it in fresh water would hurt it.

We always washed all of our equipment after a salt trip, including the lines, in freshwater when we got home, but many new lines and coatings are out there now, so if you are in doubt contact the line manufacturer and ask. Also might ask if there is a specific line cleaner to use after.

I should add that sink rate will probably be different because of the buoyancy of salt water as apposed to fresh.
[signature]
What C said. In fact, most freshwater intermediate is the clear stuff which does get a little stiff in the cold, so I bought my Hubby the Saltwater version.
The taper could be a little different also, but I doubt it matters.
[signature]