Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Taxidermist?
Just curious if any of you have any suggestions on a good taxidermist in the northern utah area. Looking for someone to do fish as well as birds. With fish we're more concerned with price, with birds, we're more concerned with quality. Any suggestions would be appreciated
[signature]
Apm.. A very good fish taxidermist is Brad Cutler ---- His number is 801-699-1778 .. Give him a call !!!
[signature]
snyders taxidermy in roy. He did a couple of birds for me and did amazing
[signature]
Wilderness Taxidermy in Syracuse, he has done numerous mounts for the wife and I. Big Game, fish, and birds. You can see some of his work under my profile.[fishin]
[signature]
Dan Johnson, the guy on antelope dr exit as mentioned above is EXCELLENT! Far superior quality. He's not necessarily cheap but trust me, it is NOT worth it to find someone who does fish taxidermy for an economical price. I learned that the hard way! I had a fish completely ruined and sure I saved 60 dollars but I truly regret it. The fish's head apparently did not turn out and it was amputated and replaced with a fiberglass head which is not authentic to me at all. I was not even consulted, it was just removed!! Further the body lost considerable girth and looks dehydrated and skinny. This was at Wildlife Memories on about 90th S and that frontage road heading south. That place is economical but WATCH OUT! LOL.
[signature]
I hate to break anybodys butt here but most taxidermist replace the head on trout and salmon. Doing it well is the secret but the natural heads on trout and salmon are full of fat and you cant get the grease out of them. Warm water species the head is normally used. On salt water fish very few are actually skin mounted due to the same fatty issues.
[signature]
By the way I am not defending a poor mount. A good mount should be almost identical in girth and length. The fins should be in good condition and the paint should look natural. A bad mount is a bad mount but I was just clarifying that Trout heads and salmon heads are routinely replaces and if done well you would most likely never know.
[signature]
The heads on my fish mounts are artificial, but Dan does a great job. He has mounted the last two Idaho state record walleye and the current Utah state record wiper.[fishin]
[signature]
not sure of the fish work, but for birds, i use Lance Christensen in south Draper. he has done 2 of our birds, one being my pintail, and he has 3 more of our birds right now. and he is reasonably priced.
[signature]
Nope it was a largemouth 20 3/4 inch. I don't think I would mount a slimer haha. It had only fair coloring as well, not very natural or realistic, very basic, and the fins are only halfway erect too. Some of the scales are starting to pop out a bit and protrude a bit now as well. In contrast we took my fishin gal's 20" to Dan and boy it is a stark contrast to mine. WAAAAY better. I'm waiting to get a 21 to 23" before attempting another one. It will have to be 6lbs or over.

+1 on Brian Snyder in Roy. Top notch on birds!
[signature]