Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dipsy Divers
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I was reading the posts about using Dipsy Divers at East Canyon.[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=62596"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=62596[/size][/font][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I was wondering just what are Dipsy Divers and decided to check it out on the Net. Here is a good site that was prety informative:[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides/Walleye-Trolling/Fishing-the-Dipsy-Diver.html"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.cabelas.com/information/cabelas-field-guides/Walleye-Trolling/Fishing-the-Dipsy-Diver.html[/size][/font][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]It has drawings and charts that are good.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Has anyone tried these at the Gorge as an alternative to down riggers?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]What are the pros or (more importantly) the CONS to using Dipsy Divers.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I might have to give them a try sometime.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We use dipsy divers. They work, so do pink ladies and deep sixes. They all do the same thing. get your line down deep. You will need to rig MUCH heavier to accomodate the added pull of the diving unit. They pull when you're fighting the fish. The deep six will "release" but it's still attached to the line. We used these on the coast for trolling salmon with sardine harnesses.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]My advice? Go buy a rigger. They are not magic and with a little practice you'll be sufficient enough to chase macks on the Gorge.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hi Coot , I got a deep six I tried out on the Berry . It pulls harder than any fish I have caught out of the Berry . I only tried it once and put it away . I didn't have the right rod for it either , but my muskie rod should hold it now . lol I don't ever want to use it again and if you want it its yours . Only thing is it melted a little from a pastic grub laying next to it . May not track perfectly straight . Got to remember to keep soft plastics from hard plastics .
[signature]
I am personally a big fan of the Dipsy Diver. I began using them this summer, and I have consistantly outfished those who are not using them. I've used them at Causey, Jordanelle, and the Berry. I will agree that you need a stiffer rod, heavier main line, and a line counter, but once I got the feel for them, I would never go back to leaded line, or just the old weight up and guess the depth.

There are cons in using them as well. Luhr-Jensen only publishes data on specific line diameter, and speed. So if you are using anything different, it is a little more of a guessing game. A rigger is defenitley more precise on getting to certain depths. If you can afford a decent rigger, then that is the way to go. But if you can only drop 8 bucks on tackle, a Diver is the bomb. In my case, my boat is an 8 foot pontoon craft, so a rigger on there is not very convenient or practical.

Dipsy Divers do provide extra resistance, but they do have a release(all but the smallest Dipsy), so when a bigger fish hits, it takes most of the plane out of the unit. However smaller fish (usually less than 16") will not provide a strong enough strike to cause a release.

Hope the info helps. Good luck next time you head out.
[signature]
Thanks Old Coot. I was wondering about Dipsy Divers myself. Thanks for sharing the info. [Smile]
[signature]
The biggest difference is that with a downrigger you can set it at any depth and change it as you go to follow the contour of the bottom, which is ideal for mac fishing. Dipseys are good for fish that are suspending at the same depth. And as was said, make sure you have sturdy rod holders.

Dipseys have their place, but in Utah I prefer downriggers.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I agree with Gumbo. Dipsy Divers have there place. You can do it all with a rigger more precisely and still fish your lighter rigs. Plus if you're on a two pole permit lake, you can stack riggers and cover the whole water column.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]a guy can buy a rigger for well under $100 especially on ebay so the cost may be a bit higher initially then that a dipsy diver but the added versatility is well worth it in the long run. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The hardest part with the dipsy diver is knowing exactly where you are as far as depth. They have charts that get you pretty close though. Line counter reels help also.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]IFG & I were running riggers and a dipsy diver at the same time for kokes this weekend while trolling Horseshoe Canyon. We were using it to get close to the canyon wall where the kokes were stacked up. It was a cool set up in that situation.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial"][red][size 2] Hey Coot old Buddy, I used to use a little thing called a Pink Lady, sort of the same thing. I never had any problems catching fish with it. I've used it at the Berry, and the Gorge. There are different sizes to go to deeper depths. I would use it again.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Sorry, had to mow the lawn, work with the dogs, cook dinner, ect. Coot, if cost is an object go with the dipseys. As you know they can go deep, or off to the side. They are a very versitile way of presenting the bait. The one thing they do not do well is get to an exact depth. This will take a little trial an error. Remember, not only does line weight play into the drop factor, so does the lure, popgear, dodger, ect that your dragging behind it. Of all the downrigger alternatives I prefer Dipseys. I have them so I can run multiple rods at varying depth and distance laterally from the boat. With the one pole per person rule in effect at most lakes it makes sense to get a downrigger if you can afford it. Since I rarely fish anywhere but the Gorge in soft ice I use them to get more spread on the lines if 3 or more people are on the boat (providing everyone has a 2 pole permit). With one downrigger you can run 2 (or more) lines at an exact depth (stack) with just one rigger. It's easy to do and there is lots-o-info on how to. If you get a downrigger, please pay a little extra and get one with metal arms. The first time you hang a ten pound ball and can't get back you'll be glad you did. (Ask BLM) I had him worried when I was reefing on his. If they were composit or plastic he would have lost the ball and the rigger arm. It doesn't take many rigger balls to add up to the 40 bucks extra you pay for a Big John. Hope this helps.