Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
smackin greenheads
Went out to "farmington bay" this morning with a buddy and got into some duckies. First jump was a drive by on some mallards we saw sitting on a creek. Circled back and I jumped out and off the road before they jumped, one drake went up then down, picked out the green and another bird falls. Good way to start out! We kept cruising and weren't seeing much so we got out and walked a bit. Thought we saw some birds go down a ways downriver so we headed in that direction but couldn't find them. Standing in the trees I saw a single cruising and gave her a few quacks but lost her in the scenery so I gave up. Fifteen seconds later she's cupped up and rocking through the trees right at us! bang dead. Alright! Pinny hen. Still standing in the trees and talking and all of a sudden there's six geese right on top of us. Six shots at 45 and we didn't drop a feather. Dang. Back to the truck and driving we spied a few at the edge of a field. Split up and put the stalk on them with me being the pusher this time but before we got there two busted us and my buddy shot. The other six jumped and came broadside me at 30. Pick out the green....bang, dead. bang, dead. Two more drakes for me sitting 10 feet from each other. No bands Sad oh well. Hit one more favorite spot and just in time to watch two go down a ways away so after them we go. Same push strategy but this time my buddy drops one. On our way back I see another single flying and call at him. He circles back, circles agian and goes down 80 yards away from us. Same push. bang, dead duck. Six drake mallards and a pinny for the day. I love this time of year!! The goldeneyes aren't in very heavy yet, those are my favorite ducks but it's hard to beat a full plumage mallard for flat out beautiful ducks in my book
[signature]
sweet! love jumpin ducks.

Shot my first Canvas Back yesterday, and it actually was Farmington.
[signature]
is anything still open at farmington besides the air boat launch? I haven't been out there since the second week of the season. I've only seen two canvasbacks in my life and they were the two hens I've shot, both years ago now. Got pics? I hear they're tasty but I don't remember it being better than the standard bad
[signature]
some open water on the north side of the middle dike. not a lot. just a phone pic. try to download later. we actually shot 3 out of the flock. 2 drakes and one hen.

i am sure it tastes as nasty as the rest. but i will never know. it's going to the taxidermist. should have went today, but he was fishing. It will be there this week.
[signature]