Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool Fool on Deer Creek
[cool][#0000ff]I hadn't been fishing since my last trip to Starvation a month ago...on the 5th of November. Not a big fan of swimming in ice water without waders so I have not ventured onto the ice yet this year. Since Deer Creek is still open water I thought I would celebrate Pearly Harbor Day by attacking the Island boat ramp in my tube.

Launched about 8:30. It was lonely. A few boats showed up later to troll for the abundant slimettes. Air temp was about 25 and water temp was 41, Calm at launch but the breeze that came up from time to time definitely put a chill on the festivities.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worked out to about 25' to start bottom bouncing jigs. Saw a few individual fish just off bottom. Probably trout. No bites. Kept working deeper and deeper as I got toward the outer end of the island. The bottom was like a desert. Nada, zip, zilch. But, there were abundant bitty bows cavorting on the top...swirling and jumping all over the calm surface.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I only got a couple of decent hits on the bottom all morning. I worked out as deep as 65 feet and I did see a couple of small schools of fish that looked kindy perchy. But none that wanted to join me in my tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did manage to bring in a few of the hostile and aggressive little bowettes. They hit my jigs on a lot of the drops I made to fish the bottom...and again when I reeled them back up to make a move or to check my bait. None of them were over about 12 inches. The term "DWR Walleye Feeding Program" kept passing through my mind. I imagine that more than a few of the 80,000 of those little guys planted a couple of months ago have found the innards of a big toothy critter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I packed up to leave about noonish there were several boats working the area off the first point to the south of the launch ramp. They all seemed to be trolling. Probably a gathering spot for the slimers. Seemed to be pretty active in that area on the surface earlier. One boater came to the ramp as I was getting ready to leave. He admitted that he had caught a grundle of trout but nothing over the "footlong" standard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water is rising in Deer Creek. Quite a bit higher than my last trip over a month ago. And, as deep as it is...with surface temps still over 40 degrees...it is going to take some prolonged heavy cold temps to put a cap on it. I have seen many years in the past when DC did not freeze at all. This might be one of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Will probably post another tubing report tonight. Was debating between Pineview and Willard. I think Willard won. Gonna try the South Marina. Maybe the north too. Chatter chatter.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good pics as always. I was really hoping you would put the hurt on some perch but those rainbows are fun too. I'm sure the walleye find them as delicious as the perch.

When the water is in the 40s like that, are you wearing a few layers under some neoprene waders? Maybe some thick socks? If Deer Creek doesn't ice, I plan on throwing some TD lip jewelry from my tube next month when I have a little more vacation time. I have plenty of natural insulation but I want to be prepared for cold water. Thanks for the report, Pat.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. Pictures are beautiful but it does look cold!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get chilled sitting inside looking at them.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Dressing to stay warm is an individual thing. Everybody has a different tolerance, different shape and different metabolism. Sometimes takes some experimentation and adjustment to know what to wear on any given trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big thing...besides layers of GOOD warmth...is having enough space for air inside. 10 layers of wool is worthless if it is squeezed down into plywood consistency. But if 2 layers of wool are loose and insulating you can stay warm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll be glad to show you my setup when you next visit the tubeatorium. But, essentially I use an oversized pair of 3 mm neoprene waders...with two to three layers underneath. One major consideration is having fins large enough to hold well padded feet without constriction. Poor circulation means cold feet, no matter how much wool you wear. And frigid tootsies ruin a fishing trip faster than about anything else. No fun to have to get out on the bank and do the "tubers' stomp dance" to restore feeling in your footsies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If Utah Lake does not freeze solid, it will be possible to tube the Lincoln Beach area early...for walleyes and kitties...and other species. Lindon and the bubble up are good early producers in mild winters too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sweet pictures, looks alot of fun might have to try it over my way!
[fishon]
[signature]