Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard update 12-7
Hit the south marina after work to take a looky.. Not much to speak of other than ice has reformed enough to wear a guy would have to bust some ice out to launch off the northern most side..Plenty of open water for the tube folk to launch ...And plenty of accesible shore line for the bank fisherman too .. Ice is approx 1.5 in thick in the marina out by the docks..[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]NO WAY.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I went there this morning, expecting to launch. The ice was way to thick for a tuber to break through. Looks like a truck tried to break through and only broke up a bunch of ice and made some serious skid marks on the ramp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I went to the north marina and still had to break through shore ice to get out. See report.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Way Pat Way... I parked right in front of that busted up ice walked round the knoll to the channel only to finda skim at most !!! Then walked round the marina to the point of the mouth only to find the same back towards marina a skim that built up to 1.5 in of white ice ... And so .. Did you happen to get out of your rig and take a good look at the ice marina entirely or just do a drive by ??
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Believe me. I wanted to launch so I got out and walked the area thoroughly...and took the attached pics. I have been tubing over 50 years and I know my limitations...and that of my gear. I could not have launched at the ramp and I did not care to carry my motor and battery around the point to launch. And at the time I was there I would have still had to break out through many yards of skim ice. That stuff is tougher than you think when you are trying to bust through it in a float tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suspected it would be better later in the day but when i was there in the morning it was impossible.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ya whata difference a half day will make !! I would of launched my boat or my tube and not sat and pondered onit .. The skim stuff was less than a 1/4 in which ive done countless times in my tube @ willard and @ pineview..If i dont go and beat some burbot a$$ this weekend I will be launching my boat with the my ice spud @ the south marina chasing whatever will hit my bottom bouncers !!!! B.T.W when i post on current conditions im not postin B.S cause i dont wanna be the guy who shows up with a false report only to turn round and stew over it on the ride back!!!
[signature]