Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Chillin' 12-24-10
[cool][#0000ff]I don't even have my ice fishing stuff set up yet. But my tube is still ready to rumble. Willard is open water so I opted for a final shot at the south marina this morning. Got a lot of "Nos" today: No snow, no sun, no slush, no power squadron, no skeeters, no slimers...and NO SKUNK...no "stuff".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]30 degree air temps...both at 8 AM launch and 11 AM return. Cold NW wind that cut right through all the layers I had on. 35 degree water temps didn't have much trouble working through my 3 layers of socks and neoprene waders neither. C-c-c-cold.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The south marina had previously been frozen solid but lost a lot of ice during the last week or so of warming weather and rain. But still a fairly large layer of thin ice on the far south side of the boat basin. Not thick enough to drill and walk on though.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I started by dragging a minnow on one rod and a crawler on the second rod...moving slowly out the main channel into the lake. Thought my sonar must have frozen up. Nuttin on the screen. There were no fishy marks anywhere between top and bottom over most of the area I covered today...and that was a lot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reeled in the crawler and tossed a variety of plastics and small jigs with my second rod whenever I DID see a few suspended fish...usually in about 15 to 16 feet of water...but very few. No bites at all on lures. In fact, no bites at all on minnows either.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About 10 I started working up into the inlet channel...to the east of the buoy. Fished up into 10 to 11 feet of water without seeing any fish or having even a whisper on either bait or lures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The cold was setting in for serious by now. I figured I might work in the boat basin for a few minutes before writing the day off and suffering a rare SKUNKOLA day. I remembered catching lots of small walleye from that basin in the past, when it used to stay open all winter...even with lower water levels than the current ones.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Continuing to drag a minnow behind the tube and tossing a small tandem jig rig, I worked down the middle of the basin until I came to the ice edge. I wondered if there might be some fish hanging under the edge of the ice. Done it before. So I lobbed my minnow close to the edge of the ice, let it settle and started moving slowly along the edge.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I felt the first tick on the line I thought it was probably a perch. They have snarfed a lot of minnows from me inside Willard's two marinas. I gave it some slack and the line tightened again...with a couple more tugs. After a couple of pick up and drops I let the line come tight again and POW! Hey, that ain't no perchie. It gots weight. Turned out to be a 23" wallie. Yee haww. That's the way to get rid of the smell of skunk.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Endured the severe chill factor another half hour or so...with no other takers...and boogied down the road. I gotta whup up some Pig Out Perch Chowder for the family at tonight's Christmas Eve dinner.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Do you think it will go well with pumpkin pie as dessert? That is what I was doing while you were out playing in the cold!
[signature]
What is your game plan if your tube starts losing air TD? Boogie to shore? Just curious - I'm sure you have it all thought out what to do in case of an emergency - you are well prepared and plenty smart[Wink] I think it is important to remember if you go tubing this time of year to be prepared for the worst. I know you are, just trying to remind anyone else who might get an itch to go this time of year - doubt anyone will.[:p]

Also had a question: I'm sure this is not your first time float tubing on christmas eve, how many times have you been on christmas day?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Wow. You're just fulla questions, ain'tcha?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have had air leaks in the past...usually from fish spines. But they are so slow that I usually have plenty of time to get back to shore. I really do not roam a long ways from shore on most of my fishing so that even if something major happened I should not have a real problem. I do have a PFD and multiple other floatation additions...including a foam seat and some floating boat bumpers. If I did find myself in the water I am a STRONG swimmer, especially with fins, and I can lay on my back and throw a roostertail...even with waders. I have done it. But, you are right. One should always be cautious and not take innecessary chances.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been fishing on both Christmas Eve and Christmas day a lot of times over the years. Wish it came during warmer weather though. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Merry Christmas to ya.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeBabe]Do you think it will go well with pumpkin pie as dessert? That is what I was doing while you were out playing in the cold![/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Everything goes well with pumpkin pie for dessert. Trade ya half a walleye for some pie.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You were the smart one today.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I guess curiosity killed the cat - or at least this one[Wink]

I am fascinated by your late of the year float tubing excursions I guess that is all. I don't think most people appreciate the conditions you are braving this time of year out in a float tube. Pretty hardcore.

When was the last boat report on here a month ago or longer? and here is an older gentleman (not that old mind you) out in a float tube catching walleye. Good on ya TD.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, it's really not too bad tubing in "late season" open water in Utah...these days. Back when I started hitting some of the local waters just before and after iceup I didn't have a lot of the gear and protection I have now. No neoprene waders...just ultralights with as many layers as I could wear without splitting the seams. No good quality fins of the right size...old hard rubber ones that cramped my feet and caused constriction and cramps. A round float tube that barely floated me....instead of the Fat Cat with an electric motor that I now use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I usually get some of my best fishing from a float tube early and late...while the wimps are either whining about cold water or the ice nuts are falling through thin ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like any worthwhile pursuit...if you plan properly and have the right gear for prevailing conditions you can GIT 'ER DONE.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tubedude

I see you have a registration number on your tube rig. Do you have to register float tubes and pontoons? Or is it only because you run a trolling motor on yours?

Nice catch by thge way!
[signature]
It is just because of his electric powered fins.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Any "motorized" craft has to be registered.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You should have seen the looks of disbelief on the faces of the clucks...errr clerks...at the DMV when I showed a picture of what I wanted to register.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tubes and toons without motors require no registration...nor do they require mussel certification. But my float tube does...with the motor. I am like the "big boys" except I don't make as much noise and I can't tow a water skier.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude wrote:[/quote]
[cool][#0000ff][/#0000ff]I am like the "big boys" except I don't make as much noise and I can't tow a water skier.[/b][/quote]

There are enough of those folks already! Merry Christmas, TD and everyone else as well!
[signature]
You are green too - no carbon[Wink]

I bet you can attest to this obviously tubedude, but in general there is no doubt that boaters "look down" on float tubers. It is wrong and unjust![mad]

Not all boaters do but most do not respect us or give us the space they should, etc, etc. I won't complain too much but having fished in both (many hours in both) I prefer my float tube. There are many, many advantages to being in a float tube, even if just subtle differences. The boater crowd proably scoff at the idea and think I'm full of it but that is the truth.

Try one[:p] They have come a long ways. I was fishing an old 80s donut before I came across this site and saw the tube TD was using. Fat cat. There is a huge difference, if you have not fished in one since the donuts give it a shot. Whole different experience.
[signature]
I had a float tube when I was 16 and I sold it after my first trip to Jordanelle. The Jet skis flying by within casting distance kinda scared me off. I've recently wanted to try it again now that I'm a little older, but what do you guys like the most about using the tube- say over a boat or even pontoon boat?
[signature]
You can launch it just about anywhere.

They are more stealthy than boats.

You have better control of your craft in wind, it is easier to stay on top of fish.

Don't have to have a truck to pull a boat, which is nice for those that can't afford it. You also don't need gas money for the truck and the boat. Small cars that get good gas mileage can be used for float tubes.

You get a workout while fishing.

There are more than enough that I'm forgetting too...

Just like being in a float tube more overall. Guess there is something about it that is hard to explain. I know one thing for sure hooking into a big 10-15lb kitty and having them pull you around and spin you about... that doesn't get old.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote Cmack] I had a float tube when I was 16 and I sold it after my first trip to Jordanelle. The Jet skis flying by within casting distance kinda scared me off. I've recently wanted to try it again now that I'm a little older, but what do you guys like the most about using the tube- say over a boat or even pontoon boat?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]As with all things fishing...and many other things in life...it is simply a matter of personal preference. I have owned boats and fished from hundreds of others. Ditto for pontoons. They all have a place and provide levels of fishing that tubes do not. And more than a few anglers have boats, pontoons, kayaks, canoes and float tubes in their personal arsenals...for specific fishing applications. It ain't one size fits all and you won't go to hell if you own both a boat and a float tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tubes allow you to launch and fish in spots not practical or legal for larger craft...or where bank tanglers cannot reach. They allow specialized types of fishing not available to shore fishermen (vertical jigging) and are often more effective than from a boat (stealth and hands-free control). The stealthy and controlled mode of tubing disturbs fish less and you can fish fairly shallow water without spooking all the fish. Even quiet electric motors can sometimes send fish scooting out of the shallows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the greatest appeals to me is the "up close and personal" aspect of tubing. It is to fishing like archery is to hunting. It forces you to be a better stalker and to know your quarry better...and you have a better chance to observe what is going on around you. It also requires that you fish each area more thoroughly since you can't just blast off to another part of the lake if you don't get instant bites. I have learned a lot of my best spots by fishing areas not usually worked by impatient boaters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Obviously, you give up a lot by choosing to fish from a float tube. Speed and range of operations are the two primary sacrifices. You can't go as far or as fast as you can in a boat or motorized pontoon...and you can't tow a skier. But, you don't sacrifice safety. Tubes are inherently very safe...unless you are surrounded by the power squadron idiots.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You do have to be responsible for your own comfort and safety. That requires paying attention to the weather and not taking your craft too far away from safety during potential bad weather situations. You also need to consider boat traffic. Don't launch from a busy ramp during peak times (or ever) and stay off the water when the mindless idiots take over the lake. There is a mindset among many boaters that the guy with the biggest and most expensive craft has unlimited rights to harass all other craft smaller and less costly than theirs. Float tubes and pontoons become marker buoys or slalom posts for their own brand of water fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PM me if you need any more input...or cruise over to the Float Tubing board.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I love this post, thanks TD. I would not have ever imagined using my toon in December, but then I would have never imagined raking leaves either, but did that as well...LOL

The pictures are awesome.

Weird year for sure.

I haven't worried about leaks in my pontoon, but more about the toon/tube will loose air quicker in the cold and hypothermia before I make it to shore. I have too much faith in my toon I guess .....LOL

What are the chances of tubing/tooning all the way to may...he, he, he

Wyo, you mean this doesn't work for you...LOL
[Image: x5.jpg]

It does fit in the BACK of a truck...[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have had open water fishing in the lower level lakes of Utah 12 months of the year...in the past. This may be one of those years. The past couple of years have seen early hard freezes and temps that have kept most lakes frozen until at least the first of March. Started out that way this year but then the warm spell and rain came in and removed the hard deck. Depending on what happens in January we may see open water through the rest of the winter on Deer Creek, Jordanelle, Willard, Utah Lake and Pineview.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a standard saying: "I fish for enjoyment...not endurance." I say that mostly to guys who try to convince me that fishing in below zero temps on the ice is "fun". I have done it, but at some point the enjoys are frozen by the frigid conditions...especially if there is wind...and I am done. I don't do tents and heaters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tubers and tooners have a much better shot at extreme cold weather fishing on open water than boaters. We don't have to winterize our craft to prevent freezing of mechanical components. So, whenever the water is open and the fish are willing we are good to go. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you well know, trout are definitely cold weather prospects. So there is usually some great pre iceup fishing for them...as well as that magical period right at iceout. Most anglers miss a lot of that action. Again, tubes and toons are ideal...if you are properly insulated against the cold and the wind is not blowing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also enjoy fishing for the cold water "warm water" species...like perch and walleye. They go deeper in the winter waters but are still available. And in Willard Bay I even catch catfish and wipers year round. They are slower and colder but they still bite. And crappies are great cold water fish...if you can find them and they are active.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I hate to admit it but I ain't as tough as I used to was. Those cold water trips are not as much fun and they take a lot more out of me. I can't stay out as long and it takes more recovery time...with the heat turned up and appropriate "medicine" to chase the chill.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Maybe one more cold water tubing trip next week and then I guess I will get set up for ice fishing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]SIGHHHHHHH[/#0000ff]
[signature]
One you didn't mention I've heard other tubers point to - is the freedom to go where you want. You can be "fishing" with others, but you can go your own direction, and explore where you want.
2 way radios keep some of the "teams" together.
One thing I've come to appreciate with my little Jon Flat Bottom - is that big waves can lead to taking on water. That won't happen to a tooner. Though it's still preferred that the Power Squadron keep their distance and speed to the laws and rules of boat safety.

I think a lot of TD's success comes from his finesse fishing - low weight, free spooling, in touch with every bite and nibble.
I'm certain I've missed a lot of hits when "washing lures" as Pat tends to call it. Can take a pretty good tug on a downrigger to make a release, and I know my sideplaners have dragged (bitty bass) fish without realizing there was a hookup.

So what time is Chowder Time!!! Sounds deelish!! You know it's gonna be good when it starts with Bacon Right!

Need to get me onto some Perch! Hoping the ice fishn will teach me more about the light bite!

Merry Xmas, Happy Holidaze and all that.

That Walleye looks awful white. Guess he's got his winter camo-coat on. Glad you didn't end up with skunk stew. We probably wouldn't have heard about that. [blush]
"That Walleye looks awful white. Guess he's got his winter camo-coat on."

[cool][#0000ff]A lot of fish become more "subdued" in color in cold and/or murky water. A combination of light penetration and low temperatures cause the color cells to contract. Once back in brighter light and/or warmer water they will often resume a more characteristic color display. Walleye are not usually all that brightly marked anyway but some of them almost look like perch at times with vertical bars, etc.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The chowder was a hit...as usual. No survivors...either among the consumers (everybody loved it) or leftovers (weren't any). Yep, bacon should be listed as a basic food group. Would be tough for me to cook without butter, bacon and garlic.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]You are right on about my preference for "finesse" fishing. I like to know whatever is going on at the other end of the line at all times. Sensitive rods, quality line and maintaining "touch" will put you in position to catch a lot more fish than simply waiting for a fish to yank the rod out of your hands. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]You are also right about the appeal of being able to fish "together but apart". TubeBabe and I always go different directions but stay constantly in touch on the walkie talkies. Makes it possible to find a pattern sooner and to exchange info that helps us both catch more fish. We sometimes have group "floatillas" too...and it is always a hoot to listen to the cross chatter of the different members of the group. [/#0000ff]
[signature]