Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Trout Lures
Hey all, Ive been doing alot of stream trout fishing lately and I was wondering what are some of your favorite lures for trout?

Also what are some of the colors and types of Rapalas productive on trout?

I've been using Brown and rainbow trout floating,sinking, and xrap with alot of success but I was wondering about some of the other colors such as purpledescent, chartreuse, brook trout, etc. Anyone used some of the other colors and patterns for trout?
[signature]
It seems like theres just alot of people looking for places to ice fish on this forum. Ive had almost 100 views and nobody has commented. Dang
[signature]
sorry dude i live and die by the fly. but you can never go wrong bouncing a worm or a jig in a river either. dont forget the mepps or panther martins
[signature]
It takes some people a few looks before they will respond, I would give it a few days, you will get many responses. Many pages have a few hundred views till they get responses.

It is hard to beat the blue fox #2 in Gold or Silver for most trout depending on conditions.
[signature]
personally my fav is a gold on gold panther marten. thats what ive had most of m success with. but i dont have alot of expirience in rivers other than the ogden. and the bear river of course but thats a whole different river all together
My favorite stream lure for trout is the Colorado Spinner, with nickel color on one side. They are cheap, easy, and productive. I have to agree with the fly guys and gals too though, fly fishing is a lot more fun and challenging. Being good with a fly rod is an art though and takes lots of practice once you catch fish it is worth the work. I'm still in the catagory of needing more practice. Jointed raps silver in color have done well for me with the bigger fish in rivers.
[signature]
Two words:

Blue Fox [sly]

The #2 in gold, as mentioned, is the best trout lure I've ever used, especially in streams. Different sizes will work, but there's something "just right" about the #2.

I also catch a good amount on black, silver, rainbow, and even firetiger (also a plus for bass/walleye).

Rapalas have treated me pretty well in rainbow, black/chrome, and gold/chrome, both floating and countdown.

Another good one that I've been lucky with this year was the gulp minnows or similar. They've worked better on lakes, but they'll work on streams too.
[signature]
For shallow streams and low water, I like Roostertails 'cause I can keep them just under the surface on a slow retrieve. Had good luck with red ones this year.

[signature]
I have NEVER been skunked on a trout stream using a panther martin.
[signature]
best of all best trout bait for stream fishing for me has always been a grass hooper that i have caught on my way to fishing hole . some times on top other times bottom and even some ware in the middle in a lake never fails always a big fish on.
[signature]
My all time favorite spinner is a number 1 red and white/gold blade mepps! And to be honest I'm not a huge fan of Panther Martins or Rooster tails, though I've caught a few fish off of them. I feel it takes a little more for the blade to spin with a Panther Martin than say a mepps, and I feel that the fish see a rooster tail as something with moss dragging behind it. Anyways I don't say this to bash those who like panther martin or rooster tail, it's just been my experience with those lures.
[signature]
A Spook
[signature]
Hey I can respect that, the benefit of a panther martin though is that the blade gives off vibrations that resembles the "feel" of a minnow in the water. I think even among different types of spinners we have to learn their own individual intricacies and how to fish them.
[signature]
Thanks for all the responses! I have had almost all my luck (as far as lures go) on stick baits. I have a bunch of spinners that Ive accumulated (panther M, mepps, roostertail,bluefox) but I have never caught a trout on a spinner! I know that sounds crazy but out of all my hundreds of hours on the line I never have. Ive caught bass and bluegil on them but never a trout. I wonder if my retrieve is off? Maybe to slow or too fast? How do you all retrieve a spinner for bows, browns and cuts?

Also which, if any, of these rapalas would you say is a good bet? These are some colors I have heard were producers but never tried...

[inline original_floater_pd.png]
[inline original_floater_b.png]
[inline original_floater_sfc.png]
[signature]
My first fish on a rapala was the purpledescent. Over twenty fish later and have yet to break out the fly rod. There is sometime about how a brown hits a rapala that I'am hooked like a crackhead. A buddy uses the blue one in a smaller size for smallies and does good at PV.
[signature]
I would have to go with a 1/16 oz. Gold blade with black body panther Martin.
Cast up stream and reel just fast enough to make the blade spin but no faster. I've caught most of my stream trout on that lure but also had good success with mepps
in similar sizes fishing the same way. If ou do cast down stream just make sure you are far enough from the hole that the fish won't see you and VERY slowly retrieve it through the hole and you should do just fine. If I had to survive on what I caught this would be my go-to.
[signature]
I've had really good luck with a black and gold Panther Martin (until I lost it this past weekend [mad]). I have also had really good luck with Tazmanian Devil lures. I caught most of my trout last year on a pink and blue Taz. The only problem is the hooks seem to be really cheap. You can only catch about a dozen fish before the hook starts failing and you start missing a lot of good hits. I usually swap out the hook before I start using it, and it works just fine.
[signature]
My two "go to" lures for trout.....Panther martin holographic spinner and jointed floating rappala that dives about 5 to 7 feet.. actually most of the decent sized fish Ive caught including a 3 lb smally have been on the holographic. just my personal experience and I'm no professional by a long shot!

But ive been expanding my arsenal!
[signature]
tube baits are my favorite trout lure
[signature]
If you like stick baits, you need to try these. I use to use the rapalas until I found the action and colors of these guys. They are called HD Trout.

My all time favorite trout lure is a panther martin, but when they get use to the flash and get more finicky, I go with a more natural color stickbait or even a ghost color. They seem to do the job.

[Image: ghostperch_bg.jpg]
[signature]