Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Sparky story - trapped and trust
Went to the river/club yesterday in hopes of jump shooting some duckies and testing Sparky's shoulder progress with some exercise. No duckies, but that didn't stop us from walking the river and letting Sparky romp. [Smile] Anyway, after a good deal of walking and romping, Sparky disappeared around a bend and in some dead fall and brush. All of a sudden he took to howling in pain. [shocked] Ran up to him and sure enough he had his front foot, bad shoulder side, in a coyote trap. [mad] The short of it was after some hard work (for this old man), I got it sprung enough to get him out. What really impressed me was he had never been in a situation like this and when I tried to help, I was very apprehensive how he would handle the pain and my hands on effort. Right at the beginning while howling in pain he grabbed my hand in his mouth, but didn't bit. Then he seemed to realize I was going to help him and he stopped howling and just laid down and let me work. That really, really impressed me!!!! When I got him out, first thing he did was jump up and grab my hat running around me limping and then handed it to me. Wow, love that dog. Limp went away in a short time so no apparent real damage, luckily.
Turns out I met a truck coming down the road and it was the trapper. He had heard the howling and came to check his traps. I was already to "tear a piece" but kept my cool. Good thing, what a nice young man. He was truly concerned about Sparky and I found out that just a few days ago the land owner asked him to set a few traps and that he was told that she (the owner) was going to notify us blokes about the traps and where they were, which obviously she didn't. Any way, found out he's a welder and ended up trading "stories" and memories of the "old fighter pilot" owner that had died of cancer several years ago. He was a goooood man!!!! Had to kind of laugh to myself, the kid wouldn't stop talking, nice kid. I say kid, which to me he was but he was probably in hi mid twenties.
Anyhow, that's my sparky story and even better news today was he's a little tired but no limp either because of his shoulder or foot. Think he's on his way to getting back to normal, yea, yea !!!! [Smile][Smile]
P.S. After getting back to my car, a very large flock of mallards went over and went down river a good ways and I could see em with my binoculars, circling, looking for a place to land. Well, it was late and I didn't want to overdo it on Sparky's shoulder which I was afraid I already had, so we packed up and went home and will try another day. Oh well. [Smile]
[signature]
Great story Leaky! I am glad to hear Sparky is feeling better.[cool]
[signature]
I'm glad to hear everything turned out ok with Sparky, that sure must have been scary when it first happened. Hopefully you will be able to get out there a few more times before the season is over.
[signature]
That was a close call! Glad it turned out OK. It sure could have hurt his shoulder bad if he had panicked and jerked all over the place, then or when you were trying to get him out.

Way to go Sparky!
[signature]
Luckily I've had some experience with this situation. Every one of my Goldens have eventually gotten into a coyote trap, and on occasion a muskrat trap, some baited with cyanide. [mad] The problem is, I'm losing strength for release and dealing with a dog in pain!!!!! At least on every occasion, it turned out ok. [Smile][Smile] Every one of them seemed to calm down when they realized I would "save" them. You can't appreciate that experience unless you've been there. [Smile] This is an emotional thing with me so forgive me my over doing it. [frown]
[signature]
Not overdoing it at all in my book! Glad your pooch is ok. Scary thing - and I hear ya, never know how man's best friend will react when in a panic. Trust, but with a cautious glance...

Had a bad spell with the dogs this xmas. Will drop a post - just kinda hard to face up to. But folks should know of the dangers - as you've shared.

That's not one I've run across. I guess traps can be laid where-ever? No markings required? That's kinda scary.

Thanks for the warning. Hope the pup, and your nerves are ok!