Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying a small boat
Hey all I found a small boat here in town and was wondering what it may be worth. Here's the details

Glastron V145 fireflight, 1973, fiberglas, 40 horse Johnson, has 3 of the 4 seats (his wife thinks he threw out the 4th one). Seats need to be redone. Boat is supposed to run great, what I can see are the seats that need the repair. Oh and the motor is a 80 someting. He's asking 750 0b0. What ya all think.
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial"][red][size 2] Hi there Road, hey if it was me looking at that boat, I would want to try it out in some water somewhere. It's worth asking about.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] You know better safe than sorry. You'd do the same thing if it were a car or truck you looking at. Think about it.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
That is good advice and some I will be taking. I had thought about it. I noticed that it has current tags and wondered if they were put on just to sell it. His wife says they take it out about 4 times a year. Hey maybe he'll let me try it out Sat.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 2]I don't know a lot about boats, but I'll share any info I can.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Make sure it doesn't take on any water and also take it for a long enough test to be sure that it cools properly. I would also test it very well at idle speed.

Cableguy
[signature]
Thanks Cableguy I never thought of trolling it for a while.
[signature]
I'd check the compression of each cylinder with a small inexpensive guage. and also check the lower unit for scratches and chips. most outboards will have fueling problems from time to time but as long as the compression is good then that will be the taddle tale of any misuse or abuse.

call the local dealer to get the specs on what kind of compression it should be getting and make sure its getting withing 20lb of that.

also make sure that the spark plugs are equally burned. this will tell you that all the cylenders are getting fuel and spark.

if you take it to hoopers outboards in murray they will do all that for you for a small fee. it may be worth it considering what it could cost you to rebuild a motor that should have been junked in the first place. DZ
[signature]
What do I think??? Buying a boat!!! Take a gun point directly at foot, pull trigger!!!! Or take $2000 loan from bank, dig fire pit, put money in + gas, ignite. I guess I shouldnt be so bitter about boats, hell I own one, too bad it is just a giant paper weight at this moment, and I have already dumped my $1000 into it this year. It is the downfall of me, in your situation with that boat, I would definitely want to have some "test drive" time with it on a lake, and probably someone with some outboard engine experience take an examination of it!!!! But for $750, that doesnt sound too bad. Trailer still in good shape????
[signature]
Hey Polokid, you know what BOAT stands for dont you?

Bring Out Another Thousand.
[signature]
Road,

That's how the "Man" gets you! First it's a cheap little $750.00 fix. Then it's on to trolling motors, fish finders, downriggers....shall I go on? Pretty soon you can't pass a fishing store to "just look around". Then you find yourself betraying all your old friends just to get a little more "boat". It becomes all consuming, day off...I'll just have a little "boat" today. Then it's a little "boat" after work won't hurt me.....I can handle it. 3 day weekend.....if I just do "boat" the first 2 days ...I be O.K. Next thing you know it's all about "boat"....it eats you up inside. Just say no man. I was on the "boat" for 20 years, I've been clean now 2 years 45 days. With help from the group, I've learned to cope. It's much easier if you never get started. Lately, I've been running with the wrong crowd again, they're tempting me with the "boat". And that's the start of the cycle all over again. No.....you can have some of my "boat"....no need to pay...see how it makes you feel....now don't you want to feel like that all the time. OH, so it starts. Friends don't let friends do "boat". If you need a sponsor....I'm here for you Dude. Take up something cheaper and less addictive like Crack or Herion. TRUST ME, you"ll be happier and have more money in the long run.
[signature]
I couldnt put in any better terms!!! I am considering selling my addiction to get a one man pontoon with a electric on the back, is that the same???? I can fit one of those on my rack on top of my blazer!!! and no gas, no tilt pump, no steering, no trailer, just air and battery!!!
[signature]
You are the way to recovery my friend. Step 1:

I will not boat, no matter how good it feels. 2

I have offended others by boating; I will make ammends. 3

If I decide to "boat" I will try to contact others in group that will help me through this. 4.

Since is is not in my nature to "boat" I will do the best I can not too. If this urge strikes me I "ll seek help.

If the IFG 4 step program is not for you, take FB2 collage fund and spend it on your lawn. If that isn't enough, squezze your head in a vice. It didn't work for me. ........Do you have rafters in the garage? And Rope?
[signature]
Hey IFG you have got to quit just pointing out the positives about owning a boat and include some of the negatives. My initial $2,500 boat has cost me at least an additional $4,000 in three years, since I made the initial inexpensive purchase. IFG where do they hold those BA (Boataholics Anonymous) meetings? I think I need to attend!
[signature]
You guys crack me up! It's a little tiny boat, just big enough to drag our tubes to places too far to paddle. I have the sonar, don't need down riggers as I am the very worse troller in the world, but an on board electric frig would be nice.
[signature]
Its just a small boat, That is what they all say!!! Just and boat???
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Just cut to the quick and get a 25' cabin cruiser and get it over with. You'll really be saving money in the long run![/size][/font]
[signature]
$700 bucks brand new including shipping. Motor unconditionally guaranteed to not break down for the lifetime of the owner. Can troll an entire month on $0.00 worth of gas. The boat for you. Kayak, kayak, kayak. Need I say it again?. Good luck to you.

Good Spending, Kayote

K2 at Red Fleet

[Image: l37839.jpg]
[signature]
Sounds great -- does the cute child come with it, or is she an extra option?
[signature]
I told K2 to get his hair cut. He is cute, but I think he would take exception to the 'she' comment. Kids these days LMAO.

Good Fishing, Kayote

[Image: l47331.jpg]
[signature]
I used to boat but I never inhaled.

fdg
[signature]