Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commercial version of TD's rod rack?
Happy new Year to everyone.
Outcast has introduced a float tube rod rack that resembles TD's rocket launcher style:

http://www.midcurrent.com/index.php/flyf...ting-gear/

Scroll down to mid page.

TD a man ahead of his time![Smile]

Pon
[signature]
I thought that design was more like SHig Speeds? We already know Shig is way ahead of his time. LOL
[signature]
Could be I missed SHig's post, and that it predates TD's, so my bad. Anyway both these guys as well as you, FG are great contributors to this list. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery to an idea with merit. I expect SHig's super lightweight packing tube would draw similar attention.

Pon

[quote flygoddess]I thought that design was more like SHig Speeds? We already know Shig is way ahead of his time. LOL[/quote]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That doesn't really look like anything I would use...more than once. I have tried several different horizontal and slanted rod holders and have not been happy with any of them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.midcurrent.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/FT-Rod-Rack.jpg"][Image: FT-Rod-Rack-300x200.jpg][/url]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This one looks like it would dunk your reels and the cork handles with every move.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Though I do like the attachment mechanism and the "parts tray", I have to agree that the horizontal storage isn't ideal. I'd be afraid to back into shore and buckle a rod or two!!

At least they're trying...

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I and others have experimented with both horizontal and slanted rod holders over the years. As with most things piscatorial, some work better than others and there are folks who still prefer them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is an example of a "flat rack" I tried for awhile.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][inline "FLAT RACK LOADED.JPG"]
[#0000ff]And a "slanted" version. No tool tray included. Got plenty of that with my "shushi board" apron and the abundant pocket space on my tube.[/#0000ff]
[inline "TUBEDUDE'S SLANT RACK.JPG"]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The potential problem of having rod tips damaged on the return to shore...or fishing in brushy areas...is probably about the only downside of the "sidecar" rod holders. Otherwise they keep the rod tips low for fly casting or wildly swinging spinning and baitcasting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Then, of course, there is the first observation I made on the commercial model...dunking your gear in the water...either during regular use or whenever you get a bit of chop or boat wakes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
wonder how this would work on a pontoon instead of a tube... seems a pontoon being longer would protect the rods from damage and being higher out of the water the "rod dunks" would be less likely to occur...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have friends that run larger PVC along the side of their pontoons with a cut out on top to take a rod out and put one in. Velcro across the top With most pontoons being at least 8 feet, a nine foot piece of PVC plus an inch for cap is no big deal.
But this is fly rod and reels, not sure about spinning or bait.
They do this for white water, so must be safe...safer than having the rods sticking up.[laugh][cool]
[signature]
That was my point... where it may not be a great rig for a tube a pontoon is longer and higher.. so something like this should work ... but then again the design you describe seems it would be a better way to not damage a rod since it is basically encased in a pvc tube... and probably a lot cheaper to make in the long run... :-)

MacFly
[signature]
This worked very well on my float tube......[Smile]
[signature]
nice looking rig peter...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]