Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing for trout on a tip-up
Just moved in from Wisconsin and trying to get the hang of fishing for trout. I spent Saturday on Chesterfield with 9 tip-ups...had to change out the stainless steel leaders and monster treble hooks from fishing northern pike. Since I really did not know what I was doing, I experimented with a variety of hooks and bait. We had probably a dozen flags but only managed to ice one. that rig had a #10 hook with a wax worm and a sinker up approx 12". we were about 3 feet off the bottom in 12' of water. I think Im going to rig them with small treble hooks (#14) and try a variety of baits. Has anyone had any experience fishing for trout with a tip-up?

Thanks

kw[inline 100_4145.JPG]
[cool][#0000ff]A lot different than soaking a whole sucker on a multi hook rig...for big fish with teeth and attitude.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Try fishing a whole crawler on your tip ups. Otherwise the hit-and-run troutskis will pick your pocket and boogie before you can get to the flag.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One word of caution, however. By using the larger whole baits you will hook some of the trout deep. Not good when you have to release most of the fish you catch. Be prepared to cut some hooks off inside the fish and to kill a few fish you do release. Definitely contributes to increased mortality.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most successful winter trouters find they do better with one or two closely attended rods and quick hooksets when they do get some action. More hookups and fewer injured fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
+1 Good advice!
[signature]
great suggestion. I don't know how many trout I would have missed on tipups. I know it would be lots!
[signature]
Tip ups will work on Chesterfield, but like has already been stated you will have to down size your hook and then the fish will swallow the bait. On a lake where there is a two fish limit you might be done fast when you figure it out.

Like has been stated I would go with a good jigging rod. For chesterfield 6lb test would be about right if you have a good drag. I prefer green or white paddle bug jigs, tipped with night crawler. At Chesterfield I would set up before light. The trout sometimes bite so light that a spring bobber or other strike indicator is necessary to see the bite. Fish finders really help in the jigging process as well.

Welcome to the state.

Windriver
[signature]
Good suggestions. We noticed this weekend at chesterfield how light the bites were and how they would tap it once and not come back. If you didn't have the rod in your hand you weren't going to catch the fish. I think as the winter goes on and their metabolism slows down they bite much more subtly. The jigger totters my father in law has helped a great deal on the light biters.

Webb boys, I need some help on walleye fishing. Being from the Midwest I'm sure you know much more than I do.

Cole
[signature]
I can help with the eyes on open water but I'm no help for hard deck eyes.. During open water I always do best for them with a 4'' rubber worm with a trailing bare hook for the short strikers.. Just a long cast into some weedbeds with a nice slow retreave along the bottom... I'll have to post a picture of the rig as I don't know how to explain it to well.that or a weightless drifting worm in a tube works well also.. And a worm bouncing across the botom and a tube jig with a moderat retreavel at botom works as well. At onieda green colors sem to work well for the eyes.. When using soft plastic baits..
[signature]
I fish trout quite a bit with a tip up. I use a size 6 hook with a night crawler. You have to fish were the fish are but I usually fish the top half of the water colume. Where I fish the trout seem to be closer to the surface. Especially later in the winter.
[signature]