Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rockport- Saturday
Hi everyone, its been awhile since my last post- took my 2 oldest kids to Rockport yesterday, pulled off at second outhouse and went straight toward the buoys. Set up shop in 24 feet of water. Ice was 6-7 inches covered in frost so walking was good. My kids got a sick kick out of watching people hit one slick patch right at the edge of the ice and counting the wipe out's, but as soon as you got on the lake the frost made walking easier. People all around the area were pulling them in until about noon when it seemed to die. We put 3 on the ice and missed several bites all day. One group seemed to pull them in steadily all morning.
Nightcrawlers seemed to be the ticket for bows, most of which went 13-16 inches and fat. I didnt take pics, all I had was a cellphone, but most 13-16 trout look the same so you know what they look like.
I did notice another post earlier about dogs and kids and have to largely agree, after about 1/2 hour at the lake a large group came and set up shop about 20 feet from us with 2 dogs and one decided to check out the other camps around the area and proceeded to tangle itself in my line. It took all of my will power to refrain from punting the dog and its owner off the ice. Courtesy people, courtesy. Its really easy.
Anyway, despite the idiocy of a few it was still a very enjoyable morning on the ice and I plan to head back there next Saturday depending on how the weather gods treat us.
Oh yah, the maintainance guy found a set of keys at the bathroom and left them hanging on the door handle in case the owner came looking for them, hopefully the owner found them.
[signature]