Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor info for tubers
[cool]I have never been a big fan of anchors. Too much weight, on top of all the other gear I typically carry long distances to the water. And, in extreme current conditions, they can pull the edge of your tube under water. However, whenever the hiking distance is not a factor, and the currents are more of a nuisance than a real hazard, anchors can definitely save some leg power and make it easier to fish downcurrent pockets and structure.

I have floated down some good sized rivers, like the Sacramento and American in California. I tended to get more use out of tieing off on bridge structure and using brush clips on tree branches than I did with anchors.

If you are fishing where there is the potential for hooking a large fish, that can run a long ways, you may wish to rig your anchor with a float on the end of the line. Then, if a biggun takes off, you can toss over the float and follow the fish without having to try to get the anchor in with one hand while fighting the fish with the other.

As fishfather points out, if you are going to use an anchor, it should fit the type of bottom and fishing conditions you are likely to encounter. The light rounded mushroom anchor is pretty much useless in a brisk current over smooth bottom. On the other hand, an overly aggressive anchor, with long points, may get irretrievably stuck in rough rocks and you could end up cutting the rope and sacrificing it. Happens to boaters all the time. I know, because I have seen lots of lost anchors while diving in rocky areas.

Nice post, fishfather. Good pics.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Anchor info for tubers - by fishfather - 08-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Re: [fishfather] Anchor info for tubers - by TubeDude - 08-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Anchor info for tubers - by fishfather - 08-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Anchor info for tubers - by fishfather - 08-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Re: [lonehunter] Anchor info for tubers - by fishfather - 09-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Re: [lonehunter] Anchor info for tubers - by BFFG - 09-14-2003, 04:39 PM
Re: [BFFG] Anchor info for tubers - by lonehunter - 09-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Re: [hustler898] Anchor info for tubers - by fishfather - 09-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Re: [fishfather] Anchor info for tubers - by BFFG - 09-14-2003, 07:41 PM