Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read this Twice, it could save your life on the Ice
I enjoy reading, this last Summer I read a book that I highly recommend "[url "http://www.amazon.com/Survivors-Club-Secrets-Science-Could/dp/0446698857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295030458&sr=8-1#reader_0446698857"]The Survivors Club: The Secrets and Science that could save your life[/url]" When I finished reading it, I knew there was a small section that I should share with my BFT friends here on the forum once the winter ice arrived.

Well, it's icy, and there is lots of ice on the lakes now.
Read the following and put it in your mental library. In the event that you fall through the ice, maybe it will save your life.

How long do you think you have to survive a fall through the ice? Lets say you fell in, your completely in the water swimming, trying to get out onto the ice again. A lot of people think you have 3 -5 minutes and your done, that's all, you tried to get out, now your going to die.

Well, surprisingly, a typical man of say 190 lbs and around 6 feet tall will have about an hour before he finally loses consciousness in 45 degree water. Now we all know that the water under the ice is typically a little colder than 45, but the point is it's not going to kill you in 5 minutes. About 95 percent of the people that die in cold water aren't actually hypothermic . In fact, their body temperatures turn out to be about normal.

So, what is it that kills so quickly when guys go through the ice? According to Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht, an expert on hypothermia, it's actually the terror the victim experiences that leads to drowning and or heart attacks.

I have a friend that went through the ice on a snowmobile while carrying a passenger. As they went through the ice, his passenger exclaimed "This is it! This is the end! we're going to die!" They didn't end up dying, but the passenger displayed the first response that is much more likely to kill you than the frigid water; terror.

So, what should you do if you end up going through the ice? Dr. Giesbrecht recommends a pretty straightforward formula 1-10-1. You have 1 minute to get your breathing under control, 10 minutes of useful movement, and 1 hour before you lose consciousness.

Surviving the first minute puts you well on your way to saving your life. The most immediate danger is the cold shock you experience. We've all been in cold water that can take your breath away. Well, the proper name for the response is called cold shock, it includes a gasp reflex followed by uncontrolled breathing (hyperventilation). As you gasp for air, guess what comes in? Freezing water. This response also makes it very difficult to coordinate a proper swimming stroke.

So, your first objective is to CALM down and get your breathing under control.

Next, you've got 10 minutes to move, anytime after that and you're muscles and nerve fibers get so cold that they don't function anymore, and you can't move.

IF you can't get out and you're all alone, and nobody knows you were there.. man, you made some bad choices, never go out on ice with out someone else. Especially if the ice is just recently formed, or starting to recede.
But, lets say you can't get out, as a last ditch effort, try to freeze your arms to the ice, it will keep you suspended and you can be found when you lose consciousnesses.

Now, if you're a bigger guy, congratulations, you're lifelong pursuit of moderate obesity has paid off! Without knowing it, you have just bought yourself some more time. The heavier you are, the more time you have in the cold. Remind your wife the next time that you get a look for reaching for an extra doughnut :
"It's life insurance honey, I'm just trying to save my life if I fall through the ice".

For a slight, lean person, hypothermia can set in after forty minutes in 45 degree water.
The smaller your are, the quicker hypothermia can set in. Your kids will have nowhere near the cold tolerance of their big ol' pappy. Keep this in mind the next time they're crying because they're "Cold" out on the ice. They really might not be as warm as you, just because you're in the same clothing and conditions.

I hope you all find this info as helpful as I did when I read it for the first time. Again, I highly recommend the book, it covers much more than just going through the ice.

Bottom line, if you have the unfortunate opportunity of falling in, STAY CALM, you have a much better chance of surviving than you thought, it's your panic that will kill you, not necessarily the cold!

Good Luck out on the ice, and stay safe.

Regards-
Waljustia
[signature]
That is good reading, I have been through the ice three times.. Two was for a test and the third was the real thing..

You have lots of time to get out if you keep your head and think of what you need or can do to help your self or others get out...Just take your time, and after your out of the cold water do NOT take your clothes off till you get to your car or other clothes to put on..The wet ones will keep you warmer then not having them on...
[signature]
Thanks Cliff,

I remember you going through the ice at Yuba a couple years ago. Glad you made it out. I too would like to go through the ice as just an experiment or test. Just so I can kind of get my body to experience the initial shock as you go in. Seems like it would be a good thing too get out of the way, so if the real thing comes, you're ready for it.

In the book, he didn't talk about the clothes having an effect on you, but I think going through the ice w/ all the Ice warm clothes on, would better our chances even further.
[signature]
I probably would only last the 3 to 5 minutes. Not only am I very slight in build... my heart is already frail, and a shock like that might just do me in after 3 seconds

As I am little (80 lbs), even wearing wool long-johns and down coat, I still get very cold just standing around outside... wind makes it even worse!

and people wonder why I don't ski... or ice fish... or anything outside under 35F!
[signature]
Excellent post!!
Folks should think about breaking through ice more. And that is what usually happens. Breaking through, not really falling through.I've done it three times. First time was no biggie. Utah lake and five feet of water. Waded to shore. Breaking ice as I went. Second time was not much different. Yuba, and close to shore. Third time was the bad one. Middle of Deer Creek and by myself pulling a sled. The sled was key to getting out quick. I never let go. Pulled the sled to the edge of the ice and used it to pull myself up and roll onto the good ice. That was a long cold walk back to the truck, but my coveralls actually kept me warm until I was out on the ice and walking back.It takes a while for the ice chill to get through if you are dressed properly.Be safe and always think about what if?
And keep some extra clothes and even socks in your vehicle during winter. I have socks in a seal a meal and bright orange insulated coveralls in the back seat all winter, Never know when you might them. A few salted nut rolls and a lighter dont hurt either.
[signature]
How thick was the ice when u went thru? I've tried to prep myself for that day, as I usually have to fish by myself, always wanted to do test run and fall thru just to gain confidence and experience the rush and familiarize myself w/ the whole deal. Just always seem to go fishin instead.
[signature]
At Yuba I had to walk to the other side to get my things, it was about a half mile or so over and back in -4 temps and only my hands got cold..
[signature]
Excellent additional information. You reminded me that I need to have in my truck a little more stuff than I do.

Deer Creek has always made me nervous on the ice, don't know why, that ice makes me nervous.

I crossed the lake from the island over to the tree on the North on not quite 4 inches of ice, you could see it flex with each step, makes you pretty nervous. Glad you made it out and that you kept your wits about you.
[signature]
When I went through at DC the ice was a good six inches. I was crossing the pressure ridge in the mouth of Wallsburg bay. Watch out anywhere the ice buckles.
[signature]