Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
toon trailer finally
Picked up my toon trailer yesterday. I got a 4' x 8' haul master from Harbor Freight. The one I got is normally 299. It is on sale this month for 269, and with the 20% coupon that you can find in the sunday paper each week it came out to 215.[cool] Now to take it out of the two boxes it came in and start putting it together. I plan on adding my tule rack to it then building a rack over that one to haul two toons. Also adding a gear box (home depot has a foot locker type rubbermaid box) and then need to find a way to hold oars and other needed items.[cool] Will post pics as I work on this project. Should have it completed by end of March if all goes well. Other wintertime project....pimp out second toon.[Wink]
[signature]
My first suggestion is to go with the 12" tires and don't forget a spare.
Oh, and hopefully you won't end up with allot of spare pieces[crazy][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
I will definately be getting a spare for it. The spare and the bracket for the spare come separate. About $13 for the bracket and around $50 for the spare. Will get those as the trailer gets assembled.[Smile] My son will enjoy helping to build it. He loves building things especially if it deals with tools.
[signature]
It is fun, but there is a ton of bolts and nuts! Is the receiver the right size? You might need to adjust that too. Ours on the first trip out, bounced off the ball and ruined our spare dragging on the freeway till we could stop.

Just passing on hard learned lessons...[cool]
[signature]
I have a 2" receiver hitch with both 2" ad 1 7/8" Balls.
[signature]
pics!!! right now we are looking at the one Cablas sells for 800 bucks that can load up to a 12 foot boat with bunks and the whole shabang. if your looks nice enough we might go the same direction you did and save a few hundred bucks.
[signature]
This is what I got. They have a couple of models with either 8" or 12" tires. They come in 4' x 8'.
I am going to add a sheet of plywood for the floor, thule racks with gutter mounts for up to two toons. I will be able to stack them above each other. I plan on getting some 2 x 4 's in possibly deck material to build the levels. I will attach the lower thule rack by guttermounts attached to the trailer itself. As I start building it I will post more pics. best thing about this trailer is it folds up for the winter and takes up minimal space. 5'3" x 2' [Smile]
[Image: image_993.jpg]
[signature]
The same trailer WE started with until some clown ran over it (yes I said ran over it) while we were at Strawberry. Over by Ladders with tons of people shore fishing but, of course no one saw anything.

Anyway, the truck wiped out the back corner of the trailer bending several of the bars out of use again.

Mojo took it to work and had a new frame welded. All that was left was the axle and the leaf springs, whole new flat bed that now rides OVER the wheels instead of between.

We also have the smaller trailer that I am going to modify which is where I think Albino got the idea for the Thule. BUT, heres a kicker, we have used our trailer allot and put many miles on it.
This last trip out with you Zak, about 3 blocks from home, the drivers side leaf finally broke in half. We scrounged for garbage on the side of the road and I found an old speaker the worked to lift the bed up so the wheel could turn. Made it home and wiped the sweat from our forehead thinking about all the miles we have put on this trailer plus towing it behind our camping trailer, and it picks 3 blocks from home to break.

Anyway, I took the leafs off the little trailer for now, and here is the kicker, the leaf springs on the little trailer are three heavy duty, the leafs on the one in the picture, two?! Figure that one out.
[signature]
I'll be interested in watching the progress of this 'trailer building' albinotrout.

If I could just mention a few things:

Watch the paint or finish you put on the plywood bed, with some good warm weather and sun-light, the toon will stick to it.
Lights are not required, but they sure help other drivers see the tail-end of that trailer.
Tie-downs: first trip out I had about 5 straps on my toons. Next time and since I just fasten an eye-bolt to the front of the trailer with a small cable to each hook of the pontoon and throw only one strap over the toons. Works great.
If you're going to run a 'rail' of sorts around the trailer, block the front of the trailer with plywood. This keeps the road grease, mud, snow and whatever off your toons. Keeps 'em a lot cleaner and protects them from the elements.

Good luck !!
[signature]
If you will be submerging at the boat ramp, shouldn't the bearings be sealed? But maybe you just unload and carry everything to the various launch points....

Pon
[signature]
I used to haul the toon on top of my Jeep Cherokee pioneer with the thule rack. Since the trailer is only 4' wide and has fenders there is a height issue. So I plan on attaching the thule rack to the trailer frame. This will place the toon well above the fenders and leaves the deck for oars etc... I am also looking at attaching a Rubbermaid type footlocker or similar to the front of the trailer for additional parts and stuff.
And pon I don't plan on backing into water. I will unload at launch points by hand. When I start posting pics of the build I think my design will become more clear.
[signature]
I am not sure on the tail light law. I was always under the impression, if it comes with tail lights they must stay and be in good shape. In fact, a friend got a ticket because his tail light lens was broke.

I know you can get away without lights IF you can see the vehicles lights which by packing two boats is going to be iffy.

I know of one police officer that is fighting to make them mandatory for all trailers

I do know you do not need to license smaller trailers where as in Idaho everything needs to be licensed...LOL

We have been trailering our boats on these small flat beds for 10 years or better. Remember, or last boats were just under 12' long.

IF you choose to keep the tail lights, DO NOT back the trailer i to the water while they are hooked up.

Good call on the paint. I just put Urethane on our trailer. Outdoor carpeting is cool too. Things slide easy on it.
[signature]
Here is a painted up version of what I am looking at doing. Hopefully my unartistry work shows the basic idea. Small box on front of trailer with thule and yakima racks to hold the toons, I use cam straps to tie them on. Once I have the basic parts put together then I will see how I can transport the oars without losing them.[Wink]

[inline "toontrailer - 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Nice design.

Looks like you should be able to put the oars on the racks under the toons. Or even under the racks in their own special suspended slots. As long as the blades are in front as you slide them in and tie them down they shouldn't be able to go anywhere. Something like "U" bolts maybe.
[signature]
I don't know what your oars look like but we have the donuts or the Oar Right donut.
We do as CPierce suggested. Put them on the top bar as we don't have a bottom one, and bungie them down with the donut on the Tongue side, so they can slide off and the blade stops the other direction. Not a real clear picture, but here they are:

[Image: IMG_2961.jpg]
[signature]
I have a couple of ideas but yours seems to be the most simple I have seen yet. Thanks!
[signature]
Well her's mine when I have it rigged for carrying two toons also notice I use many eye bolts placed so I can use them for tie down, they're all over the place even in the 2x4's that are to uprights for the second deck.[inline "double decker (Small).JPG"]

Here's what mine looks like even with the front shield. I am thinking of putting some wings on the front to haelp deflect some of that mud that still getts through.
[inline "GEDC0231 (Small).JPG"]

I have my spares, I carry 2, with 2 ready bolts going through the frame and long enough to go through the rims wih a piece of plywood acting as a "washer" and then the nuts. I am now thinkin of mounting them on the back side of the front shield, so I can mount a cable crank up front for when I am trying to load on a slope, maybe it will help maybe not.

Here it is loaded for camping and the toon on top
[inline "PICT0079 (Small).JPG"]

I have been using mine now for 4 years and it has been over very rough roads, that's why the 2 spares. I do have bearing buddies on it, mine I had to special order as the hub size is not a comon size, and I am strongly considering water proof lights, thare are times I would like to just back in to load and unload.

I did put a heavy floor on cause I have used this to carry a snowmobile for ice fishing. If you can I would consider metal uprights for you second toon supports and if you shim the back uprights out 2" from the trailer your bottom toon will slide in. I have never had a problem with the fenders, but maybe my toon isn't as wide as others.

Your idea of the tool box might be in the way of getting your bottom toon slid in far enough forward, I'd be concerned of some road hazard poking a hole in the toon if it hangs over too far. My toon is an 8'er and you can see how it fits.

We usually bungied the paddles right on the toon in their paddle holders. If you have an anchor you will want to secure it otherwise the ropes fray and away they go. I have lost 3 different kinds, don't even take my own advice.

I have a wind up jack that I have been using but will be changing to a car jack that you just lide under and jack it up reathe than crank it up, don't ant to pinck my fingers. I will mount it on the front shield.

One of the fold up star wrenchs really come in handy too.

Have fun I sure enjoy mine![fishin]
[signature]
[signature]
I like what you have done with your trailer. I have been thinking of using the metal studs to make the supports for the upper toon. Right now the trailer is almost built. Should have it completed tomorrow. Then I will start measuring the two toons that I have and drawing out my design and looking for supplies.
[signature]
That is way brave to haul a snow mobile on one of those Harbor Freight trailers. Like I said earlier, the leaf springs are light weight as heck.

What you can do with these trailers is unbelievable. Can't wait to see your Albino.
One other thing we noticed, we too mounted a heavy duty plastic box to the front of the trailer. The two problems we had, with it loaded with all the heavy gear, it puts too much weight on the Tongue and the caused it to bounce too much, that was why we ended up building a small box in the middle of the trailer and put the batteries there, the boats went right over them with an inch or two clearance.
Second, we had a lock on the box, went out and when we came back, the box was all broke up and open...good thing there was nothing in there at the time, but a pump, which we have several.
[signature]
So I take it your box was made out of wood? I will mainly haul my accessories in the box as well as waders. I will try different configurations until everything works well. From what I have seen here has been some great ideas by all. It is nice that I don't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak but glean from all those who went before me.[cool]
[signature]