Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this Ice Safe?
I went to PaliSades this morning and Nine Mile No safe Ice to be found. I was just trying to see if it was safe and the ice gave way and the water was only up to my knees. We are going to have to have a pretty good cold snap to freeze it again. It sucks cause those are the spots I like to go cause they are really close to home. Next week I will be going to either Strawberry or Scofield again to see if I can pull some bigger fish out of the ice.
[signature]
lmao. get some brass my friend [shocked]. the ice is 6 to 8 inch on paliSades! and it's 8 to 9 inchs on 9 mile.. both lakes are come up so the edges will soft and ya might need a plank to get to the safe ice.. but once on it's more then safe..
[signature]
Always err on the side of caution. I lost a dear friend last year through the ice on a similar lake in Idaho, PaliSades. John was a veteran of ice fishing with over 30 years on the hard deck. If you don't know how to make sure you are on safe ice or you have questions about the quality of the ice don't go. I saw guys at Ririe on Saturday that said it just wasn't safe enough for them so they drove all the way back.

Be safe and live to fish another day.
[signature]
I agree that it's always best to err on the safe side but when the water is coming up on a body of water, the ice thickness can be quite deceptive. For example, Deer Creek is known for rising late season and when it does, the edges look like the lake is starting to thaw. Two seasons ago it was terrible getting out to the ice, but by using a plank we were able to get out only to find 14" of safe ice.

Follow the Minnesota DNR guidelines and you'll be safe. I am always cautiously optimistic when it comes to ice thickness (notice I said cautious). Cold water near drowning is not my preferred way to experience near death.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
A few years ago a friend used a plank to get on Scofield to ice fish and thickness was great. Coming back though a few people got the board wet. He came off after dark and the board was ice needless to say he slipped and fell right into the water. Thank God it was only waist deep. He said he would never do that again. I will wait until the edges freeze again before going out on the ice. Yesterday I was on Nine mile and PaliSades and it was just fine. About eight inches of ice on both of them. I just don't like to take my chances. That is why I stayed close to the edge just to test the ice today.
[signature]
Spent all day Saturday on PaliSades. Drilled holes from edge to middle....7in solid at least in every hole. However...first foot or two from shore were not enough to hold my weight.
I'd still fish it today...after walking across a plank to safe ice.
[signature]
[quote fuzzyfisher]lmao. get some brass my friend [shocked]. [/quote]

I've heard of people using a plank to get on the ice like this very early in the morning when it is still fairly cold. Then you have an usually warm day and by the time you are done fishing and come back for your plank the ice has receded and melted so much that your plank isn't long enough and has floated off or is stuck on shore, etc. Then you have to get wet. Getting all of your gear to shore if you packed a bunch of it out on a sled can be a pain.

If this does indeed happen and then winds pick up very strong the whole sheet of ice can be torn up from the opening between the shore and the ice....

I'm not saying this happens very often or anything but it wasn't a horrible decision by this person to play it safe. It is always better safe than sorry. Cut the guy some slack[Wink]
[signature]
[quote LIL_FISH] I just don't like to take my chances. That is why I stayed close to the edge just to test the ice today.[/quote]

lol if the ice is thin around the edges how is it playing it safe by hanging around the thin ice???? [crazy]

when a lake is comeing up the gets thin around the egdes.. as i posted 2 weeks ago at paliSades.. the first 2 feet was soft after that good strong ice.. but if you think the ice is unsafe the worse place you can be is around the edges!!!
[signature]
I would rather be around the edges so I can touch bottom to get out than over my head so I can go home to my wife and kids.
[signature]
We used a plank today at East Canyon and were glad to have it. I'm sure some people wished it was still there after we left.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
[quote fuzzyfisher][quote LIL_FISH] I just don't like to take my chances. That is why I stayed close to the edge just to test the ice today.[/quote]

lol if the ice is thin around the edges how is it playing it safe by hanging around the thin ice???? [crazy]

when a lake is comeing up the gets thin around the egdes.. as i posted 2 weeks ago at paliSades.. the first 2 feet was soft after that good strong ice.. but if you think the ice is unsafe the worse place you can be is around the edges!!![/quote]

Very true. Plus as long as you have a really long plank you should be fine no matter what. Sunny and hot day or not. Once you get up on the ice I agree it is 100% safe.
[signature]
Ok guys so bash the new comer that tries to go on the ice and falls through at the edge and goes home. No wonder my older brother said when you put a post on make sure your wording and everything is right cause every one is a critic on BFT. It might be safe but #1 I didn't have a plank and did not even cross my mind. #2 I was wet and cold was not going to sit on the ice all day and freeze for a fish. I actually went home dried out and went to Scofield where it was windy but still caught some fish. The key thing is I was dry and warm. LOL
[signature]
but thats not true!!
most pepole die from going under the ice and cant find the hole they went through to get back out.. no mater how deep the water is if you go through there a good chance you will slide under the ice.. your clothes your wearing can and will float if only for a instent.. and that can keep you from getting your feet under you.. as a fact i seen a guy do that very thing at paliSades 3 years ago in 3 feet of water. if it was not for his buddy that went in after him he would not have made it..

if ya want to play it safe stay away from the edges of a lake that is comeing up the ice is thiner around the edges allways..
[signature]
[quote WyomingMoose]

If this does indeed happen and then winds pick up very strong the whole sheet of ice can be torn up from the opening between the shore and the ice.... [/quote]

This happened to me once at fish lake. We had to walk quite a ways to find a place where the ice was close enough to the shore. Glad I had someone with me (kentofnsl) who was willing to make the first jump (yes we had to jump) so I knew it was safe [cool]
[signature]
lol ok who is bashing??

just want to get the facts strate.. i have been fishing paliSades for 3 weeks now when the ice was 3 inchs thick.. it's been thin around the edges the whole time but safe once your on it..

same with nine mile..

i too would like to see everyone get home safe too and getting home safe means staying away from thin ice.. if it help even just one person to rember to stay away from the edges of a lake comeing up then it might have saved a life..
[signature]
So what are you saying to do; kind of confusing? Stay away from the soft edges or tightrope a plank out. I think the dude made the right choice, better safe that sorry, no need proving you have "brass" when it comes to ice fishing. Sometimes it is better to have brains than "brass"[blush].

MM
[signature]
No bashing here. Until you are comfortable on the ice, don't fish ice that's difficult to get on and especially if you aren't sure of the conditions out there. Remember, in spite of what these guys are telling you, ice actually forms from the bank first. We fish a lot of ice that the center of the lake is still open while we are ice fishing the edges. A spud bar, and knowing how to pick your way to safely cross the ice is always a good idea. Wear a set of ice pics around your neck. I'm a veteran of 30 years on the ice but I wear a Auto CO2 Flotation Device every time I go on the ice. Stay in your comfort zone, always! Do I run a plank to fish rising water ice. Yes, Do I take unnecessary chances, Never!

Only a fool thinks with his brass. [Image: confused.gif]
[signature]
ice fishing is not for those that dont have at lest a little brass!! [:p]

i have many a time turned around and went home becouse the ice was to thin or unsafe.. this year it has happened way to much..

but he did ask the qustion is the ice safe??

6 to 8 inchs of hard ice is safe in any book..
[signature]
Good point, 6-8 of ice is very safe. The word LEAST is spelled with an A, once again some have more BRASS than BRAINS, LOL!!

MM
[signature]
When the water in a lake rises, keep an eye on the shore where you are accessing the ice. Look for a gradual slope. If the ice does break at least you will be in shallow water that you can turn around and wade back out of. If it's a steep bank the water will be over your head imediately.

Scofield usually rises in the spring. I've taken hip waders, waded out to the hard deck and stepped up on 24"+ of ice. Switched to boots, fished all day, threw the waders back on, stepped off the ice and waded back out. Not for everybody, but it works for us. Watch the spring ice though, as it can start to deteriorate from the bottom. When it does game over till next year. Not worth takng any chances.

One year we built a rock bridge out to the ice at Echo. We almost got caught getting off though. The water had gone up or the ice shifted and we had to make a big jump to our rock bridge. Sometimes it's worth a little wading at the end of the day[:p]

Don't do anything your not comfortable with. I always have someone with me to pull me out when the edges get mushy. Watch the other fishermen...especially the heavier ones like me! Let them test it first.

Slow friends for bear hunts, and heavy friends for ice fishing...it's a rule!

IceAndFly
[signature]