Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe's Valley 1-22-11
Got some help from Fuzzy and went to Joe's yesterday. Fished the north end of the ice and had a really fun day! There is zero snow on the ice and is was a very slick walk out. Ice ended up being about 10-12". We were fishing with white and speckled tubes topped with chub and struggled to find them for the first while. Wind picked up and we had some issues with the 6X8 Hillary tent that I got for Christmas. One of the fiberglass poles that criss cross the top split and the tent had a hard time remaining totally upright from then on. We then did get into a bunch of splake. Fished in 13-15' of water and most were laying right next to the bottom. Dropping the jig to the bottom and jigging it right off the mud. Most were 13-15", but iced one that was 2 1/2 lb and18".(Working on getting a picture to accompany the report) When I filleted him, there were 6-8 good sized minnows inside. They are surely eating well! Ended up catching 20-30 fish and it was a fun outing.....other than the wind and the stupid tent. I am putting this question out to the group......Have any of you had any similar issues with the Hillary tent(s)? I have made some modifications to the tent that not only make it usable for the foreseeable future but have improved to be a much better product than what the manufacturer put together! Any input would be appreciated! Just wish I had stayed off ebay and waited for an extra week and bought the same sized Eskimo for $20 more.......I need to be more patient. A big thanks again to Fuzzy and the offer is still way open.....would love to share the ice with you again!
[signature]
well that don't sound like to bad of a trip.. the day before there was little wind and lot's of sun.. what a diffrence a day makes.. i take it you found the area ok? did i get the GPS numbers right this time. lol .. sorry to hear about the tent tho.. the splake there can be very finiky at times. one day they eat every thing the next don't want to touch anything.. my buddy dave started spoon feeding them the other day and did good but only on smaller fish.. the bigger fish seemed to want the bigger tube jig's..

when i get back from this job maybe we can hook up and do some fishing..
[signature]
You in the Joe's valley ice fishing tourney this weekend.
is there enough snow there to need a 4 wheel drive to park? i've been debating hitting it sometime soon.....
[signature]
I have a pow wow that I am involved in this weekend that will keep me from the tourny. I am jealous of all others going! There is only a few....maybe 4' of snow and it was so snow blown and crusty that was walked almost completely on top of it. Very Very nice! Fuzzy, we were using the bigger jigs that we received from you last year. We have attempted to manufacture similar jigs on our own and did catch most of them on the larger jigs. We did see schools of splake come through the holes at about 6-8 feet down, but they were not the monsters that you have landed. Almost everything we caught was either right on the bottom or one reel up. Yes, we found the jerky, so you did great. GPS said we were within 11 feet, so that was close enough for us! Thanks again.
[signature]
Stupid fat fingers! Meant to say there is 4" of snow.....not 4'. Here is the pic of the 18" splake that was caught.
[signature]
Have you heard of anyone catching any of them tiger they planted. I was wondering how big they are.
I haven't heard or seen anything about them being iced. Would love to at least get a glimpse of one. Not sure if they act as the splake (feeding on the bottom) or if they laze in the middle or upper levels of water. Would love feedback from anyone. I'll bet Fuzzy would know.
[signature]
i talked to the DNR guy's up there last last summer.. thay were out doing a survay on the tiger musky.. most were 13 to 15 inchs.. at that time.. so now i thinking they might be 16 to 18 inchs maybe a little bigger now..

there are also tiger trout in there as well and some of them should be getting good sized.. we did not catch any of them this last trip.. all we caught were cutt's and splake..
[signature]
i would like to start catching them. I hear they grow fast.
I hear ya there! Would be just awesome to land one!
[signature]