Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The trout were confusing me
Over the weekend my friend and I took a little time off to head up to cascade for a few days. We INTENDED to try ice fishing. However, both being new to fly fishing, we brought fly rods, you know, just in case. Needless to say, we didn't drill a single hole but fished a lot.

We were fishing the N. fork of the Payette near town. Tackle Tom, the local guy, suggested trout be targeted at the new whitewater park being constructed near town. We were off. The water consisted of a lot of what I thought we'd want. Good flows with some riffles, some deep pools after small rapid areas, several rocks to hang out behind, I thought it would work great. There were a lot of small gnats all over the surface, but I never saw a fish here targeting them. I fished a little on the surface, then switched to a variety of nymphs and streamers. Nothing. Being brand new to the sport, this didn't surprise me that much.

Later, we decided to try whitefish as we'd heard there were a lot in the area and just wanted to catch something so we went back to the tackle shop for any insight on where to find them. The owner directed us towards a large portion of the river that was straight, sandy bottom, flat water with no real cover or rocks. Few logs on the shore in a couple places, not much else. We fished for an hour to no avail. Some bait fishermen showed up a couple hundred yards upstream from us and started nailing 'em. We saw huge schools we thought were whitefish but couldn't tell for sure. After a while, and the bait guys still nailing them, one guy's wife and 8 yoa daughter showed up and started nailing 'em while we kept getting a right shoulder workout and not much else. Was fun to watch the little girl catch some fish at least.

Finally curiosity got the best of me and I walked over just to see if they had any input that might help us out. They were using worms but said that any sinking fly with red on it ought to work. They also said they were catching almost exclusively 'bows. I didn't have anything with red in the fly box that day and we continued not catching anything no matter what we tried.

Went back to the hotel and found out that I did have some red materials in my fly tying box (I'm pretty new to tying, too). Out of desperation I made up some flies on a narrow straight shanked size 16 hook. Black thread around a small piece of lead to get it down, red hair for a tail, black dubbing for a body with a piece of thin red string for ribbing. I can't think of what it would have looked like but I was desperate. Also, being new, we'd lost all of the yarn indicators I had. Hmmm... OK, here's what I'll do. Big old hook that was, for some reason, in my dad's tying box. Lots of Olive dubbing and a big old hackle feather wrapped the full length. Put some more red hair as a post to make it visible. DIdn't think it looked like anything, but figured we'd douse it in flotant and tie off using it as an obvious indicator. It obviously wouldn't be useful for anything else.

Next morning fish were feeding on the surface at the same area the bait guys were lucky the day before (whoo hoo). My buddy tried my combo of "flotant fly" over "red bug" hoping to get lucky. Booger did. On the floatant fly. Big old 14 7/8" 'bow. His first fish on a fly rod. I was happy for him but oh so Confused.

I got a bite later on on a small bwo, but my real had iced up, I accidentally gave the fish some slack while trying to solve my problem and the fish did what the do well. Buddy decided to try fishing a worm on the river with his ice fishing pole. It was funny until he caught two more rainbows while I caught nothing. Eh, still a good day of fishing.

So my questions to the multitudes who are smarter than me: Why would the fish be hanging out in a flat, constant stream w/ no cover when there were other spots with cover nearby? What the heck could that nice trout have thought my freak show of a fly was?
[signature]
Sounds like a nice day on the river even if the catching wasn't so great.

I haven't done any winter fishing yet, but I plan too. From what I have learned so far:
1. The trout stay in the deeper and slower holes in the river - Places that would be considered good resting areas the rest of the year.
2. Presentations need to be slower and deeper in the water.The colder it is then the slower the presentation. Use -- Small midge nymphs. Red and black zebra midges seem to get lots of votes as working well. Also some wooly buggers.
3. Later in the day seems to be when the fish are more active and when some hatches might come off. 11 to 4 etc
4. Forget everything else and try anything that works!
5. Even if you don't catch anything, enjoy being out.[Smile]
[signature]
[font "Century Gothic"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there ditchbanker and thank you for a story well written. As soon as I found out that they were hitting on worms, anything that had red in it than got down would have been my choice for a fly. Like one of these that I have tied up in different colors. Its called a Bi-Polar Worm. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "Bi-Polar Worm red..JPG"]
[center]
[center]Or a San Juan Worm
[center][inline "San Juan Worm.jpg"]

[center]
[signature]
crap... I still gotta go back and tie up some of those bp worms.. :-)...

I am not an expert by any means but I have found and heard that red is the color.. not all red.. but at least streaks or parts red.. for example..

two summers ago I was on a stream in TN using #12 or #14 ants.. getting hits here and there.. I switched to a red and black ant of the same size and lost count of the fish I caught...

Id of also tried either micro or regular leech patterns with red in them.. or maybe a rainbow warrior nymph since it is generally tied off with a small red band of thread just behind the beadhead... patterns along that line.. .

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Tahoma"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Some red makes it hard for the fishes to resist. Remember my first time fishing the tail water of the Snake out of Moran, there was a huge hatch of a small white fly going on around 10am. I tried matching the hatch without success. About to give in when I tied on a Royal Wulff and bingo. They would even hit it on the end of a swing when the fly started waking. Go figure.[/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "65 royal wulff.jpg"]
[signature]
I know what you mean... sometimes no matter what you do it does not work and the fly you thought least likely to work slays em.. and as you said.. especially if that fly has red in it..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for all the input. I'll have to get up there again to try it. Still trying to figure out how to fish sub surface. I'm sure it'll come to me, but it's getting there slowly.

What are the "legs" in that bp worm? That looks interesting.

Unfortuantely I didn't have any red chenile or I'd have tried some wooly buggers. I tried what I had, and apparently it wasn't right.
[signature]
you can only do with what you have on hand.. sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesnt.. sounds as if you did everything you could and it just wasnt happening... maybe next time around you will slay them..

MacFly
[signature]
[url "http://www.mwflytying.com/patterns/bi_polar.html"]check out this link[/url] to see how to tie the bipolar worm and other patterns..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Courier New"][#008000][Image: happy.gif][font "Century Gothic"][#008000]Believe that is the same site I used to learn how to tie a Bi-Polar.[/#008000][/font][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks, everyone.

Someday I WILL catch a trout on a fly rod. It'll happen.
[signature]
:-) .. I think you are right mi amigo.. in fact its the one you sent to me many moons ago.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]