Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do I need to Know
Well All I have ever done is Flyfish Creeks and Rivers Around SE Idaho. This summer Im going to take the plunge and try some float tubbing on henry's and a few other local mtn lakes.

What are some of the do's and don'ts that you would tell a novice float tuber?

What special gear will I need?

Right now, I have new in the box never used tube, not sure on brand, have to pick it up from the parents place still. Breathable waders/Neoprenes, Inflatable PDF

Any suggestion on flippers or what you use for getting yourself around?
[signature]
I would suggest get TD's book. It has a lifetime worth of info in it.
[signature]
Gear to have would be a whistle, a light and a rope. A floatation devise in the way of a PFD is required however Fly-fishing float tubes do not require PFDs on lakes with less than 200 surface acres. Fly-fishing pontoons do require PFDs on all Idaho waters." You don't have to wear one but you need to have one within reach. Rivers you must always wear a vest.

Flippers are you life line so choose a pair with allot of surface. If cost is an issue, Scuba fins are a real good choice as they can be found for a good price.
I personally prefer a stiffer flipper to hunker down hard and heavy if the weather changes, and it will at Henry's.

TD has a good intro PDF to be had here.

Now when you get ready for flies to use on these Idaho waters, give me a holler...that is my specialty.

FG
[signature]
Know your boating laws for your state. Always check the weather before you go. You do not want to get caught in a storm on any lake in a small craft.
Flippers I use a pair of browning flippers. There are similar ones made by classic accessories and Creek Company. These fit over a pair of wading shoes (aka flats) nicely.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]It has a lifetime worth of info in it.[/quote]

And that's several more chapters than many of the rest of us!

steve
[signature]
When you say "mtn lakes" are you hiking in a ways?

If so then I would get a pair of backpacking fins such as these:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Creek-Com...l+Products
They are light, pack easily, and do a fair job on getting your tube moving.

If you are just driving up you might get a pair of scuba fins and some Wally World surf walkers. I like to get the adjustable straps on the fins, then you get a good fit no matter what you wear for footies.

On Henrys plan on fishing from early morning until about noon, then get OFF the lake when the wind comes up. Since it is shallow it gets very nasty waves.
[signature]
Thanks for the Info so far. I plan on fishing both hike in and drive upto lakes. ( Meadow, Henry's, PaliSades, and a few others)

Its going to be a learning experience for sure. For the most part I am a top water junkie when it comes to flyfishing. Ive just barely got a good chuck and duck setup, and one of the goals for the summer is to learn how to fish nymphs. In the past if I couldn't pull fish on top thats when the rapalas would come out.

FG Ill take you up on that. From posts Ive read it seems you have things dialed in on flys for this region.
[signature]
A pressure guage and small pack pump-until you know how much pressure to use is important. This will be tricky until you get experience. Your tube will go limp in cold water and explode if left in full sunlight. You may need to pump up while on the fly. If the tube goes limp, can cause all kinds of issues..

Pon
[signature]
I will second what has been suggested especially getting TubeDude's book. You'll be learning from several years of experience. TD has tried a lot of different things and comments on what works, what doesn't, and what works well.

Oh and as for getting some fins...don't do what I did and try to go el cheapo. Get some scuba diver fins like the Mares Plana Avanti fins with the full foot pocket. The difference is unbelievable.
[signature]