Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Rabbits 01-29-11
Took my 10 year old grandson son to hunt rabbits. We went to Faust, right off the Pony Express Trail. Seen one cottontail. Took a ride down to Vernon. Did not see one rabbit. Had good time target practicing and weather was good. Would have been better to see more rabbits though. Maybe next time we'll head up north.
[signature]
It's been a rough couple of years for bunnies. They really haven't rebounded since the die off a couple years ago. Hopefully they will soon! They need to remember how the reproduce like rabbits!
[signature]
Even my spot is suffering this year so keep exploring your bound to come across a spot that hold a few. I don't know how far you will travel but down south is the best populations I have seen. from the south end of yuba all the way to fishlake the rabbits seem to be doing pretty well. I have not hunted those areas but seeing allot of road kill on my on summer camping trips down that way. the west desert has never come back from the fire out there awhile back, very little sage and what is left has been shot out in my opinion. The places you went are hit hard, there are a few isolated pockets out that way that still hold good numbers but you will have to stumble on to them. and walking to them is the only way to get to them. anything within a1/4 mile of a road gets to much pressure.

I have not heard anything good up north?
[signature]