Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stocked big ones at roy pond
They stocked some nice big ones at Meadow Creek pond this week. I caught this nice rainbow today along with a couple of really nice brookies.
Sterling
[signature]
Sire aren't many tigers in that Pond. I hope you released it for we can catch it and it can spawn

But i dint really care that's a good tiger!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a spawned out brood stock rainbow, at the end of its life cycle. DWR plants them in the community ponds each year so that folks can have a shot at a big fish before they die of natural causes within the next few months.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It wasn't a tiger trout it was a rainbow. And yes I did release it for another fight on another day.[Image: scaredworried.gif]
[signature]
That's exactly right Tubedude. Glad to see you are in the know. Here's another one I caught the day before. Alot more stream lined.
[signature]
Couple a real nice fish, thanks for the pics!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you are getting to stretch your string on something bigger than a newly planted "gulli-bow". Also glad to see that you are putting them back for others to play with.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Chances are that the next person to hook either of those fish will take them home to show off...maybe to eat and maybe not. They are really not prime table fare after living several years in a hatchery. But, they are often the biggest fish that many anglers will ever catch and are just as exciting to them as a stream-raised 20 inch trout to many more "seasoned" anglers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I applaud DWR for making good use of the worn out brood stock, rather than just dumping them in a land fill after their last spawning. Some ponds get large brookies and even macks. Lots of kids...and adults too...really don't care about how and why those big fish got in the ponds. All they care about is being able to bring in a biggun. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was first exposed to the brood stock planting program way back in the early 1960's. I fished the lower Provo River...just above the lake...all year round. Then late one January day my spinners were getting mugged by big old "Finless Freddies". A pleasant surprise on a day when nothing else was biting. That brood stock planting from the old Springville hatchery provided lots of fun fishing for quite a few folks for several weeks...until the walleyes and whities came upstream for the spring fling.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The Brood Stock fish have been stocked in several Northern Community Ponds.
The DWR stocked Bows, Browns, Lakers and Brookies.
Jensen's Pond in Syracuse, Bountiful Lake, Willow Pond and The Ogden River below Washington Blvd. also received fish.
I don't know for sure where else that may have been stocked.
[signature]
Not sure how you got Tiger trout out of that picture?
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]Not sure how you got Tiger trout out of that picture?[/quote]

My thoughts exactly!
[signature]
Nothing like a big fish, but man old planters are ugly. I caught a handful of those down to burraston ponds, I thought if there was such thing as a handicapped fish these were it because of the crooked jaw n all. Funny what you think when you're a kid.
[signature]
Yeah, they get banged up swimming around in concrete tailraces, I am suprised they can swim with the fins as worn down as they are.
[signature]
Actually most of the wear is from the fish eating at each other.
In time, the fins and tails can grow back.
Most will never make it that long though.
[signature]
the Fountain Green hatchery also plant Brown brood stock in the Mt Pleasant community pond. A friend and wanted to waste a day so went up and caught maybe a dozen or so. Reminded us of slugs [unimpressed], but was fun catching , needless to say all were turned back. the pond is meant for kids to have fun catching these bigger guys, But like TD said people (usually our friends from south of the boarder) will catch and keep. They are just to easy to catch. I'd like to see them left in for the kids.
[signature]
I'm right there with ya, I take my nephews up to bountiful and kaysville when they want to go and they have a blast.
[signature]
Yikes! I say you would be doing the fish a favor to keep it...LOL I know any fish is beautiful, but DANG! This one is pressing it's luck[laugh][laugh]

The idea of those ponds is put and take, so hope you weren't pressured to put it back...nice job! Those big guys are not easy to entice.
[signature]
Sweet fish! Must have been fun pulling them in!
[signature]