Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
holmes crossing
anyone no the ice conditions for there and if the burb fishing is any good.my 2 boys want to go try it on fri any enfo would be appreciated i have never fished for them ugly buggers before thanks.
[signature]
I'm not sure how this warmer weather has treated the ice at Holmes but a week ago it was real ugly for some Utah fishermen. In case you did not see it, here is a link to the video clip: [url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDg99YGCXEM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDg99YGCXEM[/url]
[signature]
we were up there all week last week (burbot bash) and the safe ice was above buck board marina and north the first couple days Holmes was OK 6 inches but that went fast with the wind and sun.
[signature]
I don't know about holmes, we fished the bays to the south with plenty of safe ice. We went down road #3 to get to the bay I beleive it is called haystack. The fishing was slow for us but we managed a few between 15' and 20'. I would estimate the ice to be between 6" and 8".
[signature]
thanks for all the reports it is either there or strawberry,the colder temps might make a differance by friday.so the burbot fishing is prety slow?i thought fishely said it was killer he dont offer up to much free advice now hes a guide.
[signature]
burbot fishing is far from slow try around buckboard .move around alot and the fishing should be just fine .fish from 10ft-30ft and even deeper.lot more active fish since the spawn is about over.ice at holmes is not the best ice and i wouldnt play on it but thats just me! best numbers seem to be comeing after 1am!
[signature]
thanks a million fishely i know your advice is good i hate thin ice and after looking at the video of them guys floating off i aint going near it.
[signature]
Stay away from the pressure ridges, i walked right through one last weekend up by buckboard in the middle of night, pretty chilly! They might look solid but it's best to find another route!
[signature]
I didn't go to holmes last weekend, the ice at buckboard was spotty on friday afternoon with some open water and pretty wide pressure ridges. Temps here have been subzero since last night it should tune things back up. We camped at lost dog the ice was 20" there. If you go to holmes try right against the cliff south of the boat ramp. That has always been a good spot for us.
[signature]