Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Took the Plunge
After months of reading and watching videos I finally took the plunge and ordered my Showdown 5.6 Dual Beam. I'm still very unsure in my decision but I'll post my reviews as soon as I get the unit. Wish me luck!
[signature]
Hey TWinkie,
Im curious, did you also look at the Ice Troller model as well while you were deciding? Im at that decision point also and would like to know if you saw benefits of one over the other that influenced you one way or the other. I used a fishin buddy for years before it went kaput this year and have been looking at what the next toy will be. thanks for any info you provide.
[signature]
Chubby-
The core difference is the power. The Troller has half the power of the full sized unit. As a result the target separation is not as good. I've also read that it lacks a zoom function and was never meant by Marcum to be used as a primary unit. The big thing for me was that I wanted to whole kit. The battery pack, case, and all that. Sorry I'm not more help. Maybe we can meet up somewhere and you can fish with my Showdown when it comes.
[signature]
So, the dual beam comes with 8deg and 20deg? What does the standard come with?

And, is the extra 50 bucks worth the dual beam in you opinion or anyone elses for that matter?

I've been wanting to get one and probably will this week.
[signature]
Good choice!! you will love it.
[signature]
The single beam is 20 deg. You only really need the tighter beam if you are going to fish deep. I like to fish for lake trout in 100+ feet of water and if I'm using a 20 deg. beam that gives me a pretty big area. The 8 deg. makes it so that I can get a much more accurate picture at that depth. So if you are fishing normal depths, say 60 feet and under, I would not spend the extra money for the dual beam.
[signature]
Right on, thank you! Yea Pineview would probably be the deepest spot I'd hit.

I think I've become addicted to ice fishing. Last year I had a bucket, hand auger, and a rod. This year I bought a tent, power auger, sled, 3 more rods, more tackle than 50 people would ever need, and soon to be a flasher. Oh well....Ice fishing ROCKS!
[signature]
Yup, you're hooked. Repeat after me..."My name is Johnny and I'm and addict."
[signature]
"Hi Johnny" (from the crowd), congrats you've taken the first step.
[signature]
Just remember the Anglers Anonymous creed, "One fish at a time!"
[signature]
Well I never thought I would be a member of AA, my parents would be so proud of me.
[signature]