Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cork tape care
is there a way to treat your cork tape handles, besides not using them, so that it doesn't get all cracked? is there something i am not doing. I see this problem on a lot of rods. the corktape is all rotten looking and cracked.

just curious

joe
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Joe, I am guessing you are talking about rods you take out on the boats, right? They get a lot of abuse...especially when they get hosed down with salt water when the DHs are doing their cleanup job.

Good cork is not very tolerant of repeated soakings and drying out. The chemicals in salt water soak into the cork and over time cause it to get brittle and to fall apart. I prefer cork, but for boat rods, sometimes the foam handles hold up a lot better.

The only thing you can do is to treat them with a waterproofing sealer before you take them out the first time. Problem is, it makes the cork slick and makes it more like a hardwood handle than a nice cork feel.

Only other option is to strip off the old stuff and replace it once in awhile.

Sorry I can't wave a magic wand and make it all better. Maybe JapanRon will have some insight. How about you, Halibut?
[signature]
well i thought about just putting butt cord on it. but i dont know yet. I will probably wait til I customize my rod or the cork tape falls apart. i dont know yet.

ANY ROD WRAPPERS OUT THERE????

joe
[signature]
You best bet is to use foam handles in saltwater. If you can I would strip off the cork and fit it with a foam handle.

I have tossed all my cork poles for foam ones years ago [cool]
[signature]
I dont know...I am just not that big on hypalon. oh well.... ya know those rods with the black cord as the handles... well I think I am just gonna do that for all of my rods.

joe
[signature]
Tubinjoe...

Unfortunately cork will brittle and fall apart...if you have to replace it... I suggest you either rewrap it with cork and this textured shrink tube. the feel on it is great and is not too expensive. If you can get to Bigfish bait and tackle on seal beach blvd and PCH they can get it done for you. another option is (i have seen this only on a few rods at bigfish.. is a rubber textured tape. Like corktape but rubber. Like I said check with Bigfish, that is where I get my stuff I am sure they can help you out.. I do not like black cord it is really hard onthe hand..Now if you must wrap cord...I suggest (spelling?)zane cord... looks like the cord you wanna use but with smoother texture. lemme know if I can help further... if I cant, i find someone to help you out.
[signature]
yes i know what you are talking about with the shrink tape. I was thinking about that, but it just looks too fancy. I dont and probably very high maintainance. with the cord, I dont think that the scales stick to it. those annoying anchovie scales are a bear to take off of cork handles. i have used rods with that shrink tape on it. it actually had a couple of layers of it on there. it was very soft and very comfortable. however, I just am not in to that kinda stuff.

joe
[signature]