Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Labor Day Weekend Success
Well, I spent the weekend with my in-laws on Strawberry. Had a great time doing a lot of fishing, and a little relaxing, waterskiing, and hot dog roasting. Got up there Friday night right at dark, and it was about ready to rain so I had to hurry and get my new tent set up. It was my first time setting it up, plus it was dark, but it wasnt too bad. The only problem was that it started to rain so I didn't quite finish. The rain fly was on, but there are two small poles that hold the fly out away from the tent on the front door and back window that I didn't put on. So, during the night it rained really hard for a few hours, with a lot of lightning and thunder. A little water started to come in from the bottom of the front door where the rain fly was dripping onto it and it was soakin through. Everything else worked great though. Once I put the poles on the water stopped coming in.

Saturday morning we got up and went out fishing at about 8:00. We trolled for about 2 hours using spinning gear, and an egg sinker about 3 feet above the lure. Used spinners like Rooster Tails, Mepps Black Fury, etc. We caught 8 fish on three separate poles. About half were just 10-12 inches, the other half were 18-20 inches. All were cutthroats.

Saturday was too cold to do any waterskiing, but in the afternoon we tried a little drift trolling with power bait, and I tried vertical jigging with the tube jig that loanfish gave me. Wind was really strong, and we were drifting really fast. No luck.

Sunday morning we got on the water at about 7:30 am. Weather was beautiful all day on Sunday. We trolled for about 2 hours between mud creek and the ladders. We caught 14 fish, with just over half being in the slot (about 20-23 inches) and just under half the small 12 inch size. We were using nothing but rapalas. The best color was the rusty gold colored countdown. Silver also worked, as well as the "clown"color and blue silver, but the rusty color did the best. Did a little water skiing in the middle of the day, then trolled a little more and caught 2 more nice ones around 1:30pm. In the evening we trolled again, in the same spot, and caught several more nice sized cutts, again with rapalas, and I caught two with a white and yellow flatfish. All in all it was a great weekend, lots of fun, family, and good food.
[signature]
Great report on the berry!!! OEJ and I can driving through the strawberry valley at about 12:00 am on friday night/sat morning, and the lightning show rivaled the closing ceremony olympic firework show. That was awesome to see, pitch black valley and very bright lightening. I am about to do my annual fish smoking weekend. Nothing like some nice smoked trout on the elk hunt!!! I need to get to the berry or Deer Creek to finish off collecting enough fish to smoke for the hunt. OUr hunt party goes through it like candy!!!
[signature]
Sounds great. I've never had smoked fish before. I just can't wait for the Deer Hunt. I'll be going up in the Daniel's Canyon/Strawberry area. Hopefully I get one this year. Didn't go last year, and I'm in the mood for some deer jerky! mmmmm![cool]
[signature]
Are you coming up to the perch party on sat???? If so, I will be glad to bring you some examples of some good smoked trout!!!! After the last perch party OEJ and I smoked all the perch we caught, and oh man!!! It was 10 X's better than the trout, and the trout is incredible, I actually want to try and smoke some cat fish, but havent and also kokanee salmon, that seems like it would be great!!!
[signature]
Yeah, I'm planning on making it up to the perch party. I'd love to try some of your smoked trout! Thanks!

I'm trying to get my dad to take his canoe and my little sister up so I can just throw my tube in and get a ride in with him, at least from the state park entrance. But if he doesn't go, I'll need to find somebody that wants to carpool up. I don't know who all is going though. Do you know who else is going? I live in Orem, near the mouth of Provo Canyon.
[signature]
They taste great but are hard to lite!
[signature]