Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation (Labor Day Report)
I met WiperHunter2 at the lake at 6:00 Sunday morning for a little Walleye hunting. Thanks #1 WH2! It was cold enough we were wearing jackets and wishing for some thin gloves. The day started off O.K. We pulled up on a spot that a tourney fisherman had pointed out to us earlier this year and I picked up a 13" Smallie and a 12-13" Walleye. I noticed that the electric was vibrating a lot and wondered what was wrong. I looked over the bow just in time to see one of the blades come off and sink to the bottom. I don't have a spare prop, so the electric is out for the day. We decided to pull into the sun to get a little warmer. We moved across teh bay by the West side of the bridge (usually very good this time of year). Nothing on the Garmin, but I dropped the anchor anyway thinking they might be up shallow like last year. We fished for a while without a bite and decided to try the point off Rabbit Gultch. I attempted to pull up the anchor. No way in Hades was that anchor coming up. It was jammed in there good. The kind of anchor you can only wish for on most days, but not today. I spun forward circles around the anchor in the boat until WH2 says, "Now back up off of it." I put the boat in reverse and the anchor slid right out. Thanks #2 WH2! We fished around the Point of Rabbit Gultch for about an hour with no luck. WH2 suggested that we try the spot where he and WiperSlayer had done well last year. Off we go towards the Strawberry inlet. We drifted along the shore with a little wind to help us out and got a few bites, but no fish. We decided to make the second drift longer. On this pass we found the spot he had talked about. The fish were everywhere and hitting everything so fast that I put up my second pole because I couldn't keep up with the strikes. Thanks #3 WH2! I'll leace it at that until WH2 has some time to chime in. Totals --- 14 Walleye, 1 - 9.5" FAT Yellow Perch for WH2!, and about 6 Smallies. I've got dinner for a few days and know 2 new spots to try on Starvation in the fall. Thanks #4!!! I said it before, and I'll say it again. If you haven't fished with WH2 yet, you're missing out. He is a great fisherman and conversationalist. He's a good guy all around and welcome aboard my tug any time.
[signature]
Nice report Curtisfish![Wink] I have been wanting to go out there for quite some time and get some good quality fishing time in up there. Does it pick up in the fall?
[signature]
I always hear that there are tons in there and tthe dwr wants you to keep em. And I love to eat walleye, Although id rather like catching my own dinner. And walleye is quite the treat for dinner.
[signature]
[Wink] thanks for the report on starvation i just got a place by curant creek res.to park my camper for the summers i hope to fish that lake more so any info (wando)
[signature]
OOPS! That was me. I was setting up a training room when I saw the email for the response. Since I set my computer to auto-login, I didn't think to log in.
[signature]
Thanks for a great day on the water Curtisfish, I'm sending the picture of that walleye to you, maybe you will have better luck posting it. I've made several trys without any luck but maybe it will work you you. How big was that biggest walleye? Are you counting the fish we released in the 14 walleye count? I thought we released at least four or five of the small ones. I owe you my friend, I hope we get some water this winter so I can repay you with a wiper trip next year. WH2
[signature]
I ended up with 10 eyes at home. I remember you releasing 4 eyes and we released 4 or 5 Smallies. The largest Walleye was 18.5" and weighed 2lbs. 4oz. The picture was just a little too big to upload to the site. The max size is 250K and the pic was 312K. I just cropped it a bit. I hope it still came out OK. Thanks again WH2 for showing me a new spot to fish in the fall.
[signature]
was that spot you guys found easy to access from a float tube. i am going to be out there this saturday and was thinking of doing some walleye fishing. Any advice?

Jed Burton
[signature]
I would say it would be hard to get there in a float tube but if you launched on the south west side of the bridge and do not mind doing a lot of kicking you could do it. Curtisfish said he has launched there in his float tube but it is a 1/4 miles or more to the spot from there.

Hey Curtisfish, thanks for posting the picture, the fish sure doesn't look that big does it, I guess it is must be because of the big guy holding it. WH2
[signature]
The spot we were at would not be fun to try to get to in a tube. It is almost up to the Strawberry inlet. If the picture was a little to the left, you would see where the inlet is less than 1/4 mile behind us. I also wanted to make sure you were aware of the tournament up there this weekend. I would not want to be out in a tube on that lake with all of the tournament fishers racing up and down the water. It would be a hike and a half, but if you carried your tube down the rocks on the Duchesne side of the bridge, there are usually Walleye just behind the right side of the first support in the afternoon this time of year. You would only have to kick out 20yds or so. We tried there in the morning and had no luck, but I've been over there around 4:30 or later and done very well. Try right up in the rocks there also. I've caught them in 4 feet of water over there. Hope it helps.
[signature]
guess I won't be headed there this weekend. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will head to moonlake or maybe even the perch party and then head out to the basin,

Jed Burton
[signature]
I was thinking that exact thing when I was posting it. If I were holding that fish, it would look twice that size.
[signature]