Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your first fish
my dad told me it was a 6" perch at c.j. strike . he said i was 2 and a half or three years old. the first fish that i can remember was a huge carp i caught below brownlee dam at oxbow. i can rember sitting on the ground struggling to hold up my dads old 9' catfish pole and i was scared that the fish would drag me in ![shocked]
[signature]
Petit Lake. 4 or 5 years old. So excited the old style bait caster reel I was using fell off the rod. I think I was trying to crank it in so fast and wasn't exactly sure which way to turn the handle. Probably wasn't fastened as well as it should have been but that little trout sure got me excited.
I will never forget my nephew who caught a big cutthroat where the F&G put some of the old brood stock. He was 5 or 6. A huge 20"+ football cutthroat. He was so excited he literally wet himself. He didn't even notice for a while.
[signature]
not real sure but probly a bluegil or a perch from condie as I remember going there alot as a kid.. And my dad said every time we went I just had to keep every silver doller sized bluegil. Kinda funny as now I hate keeping fish unless I have to... The good ole days..
[signature]
First fish I remember were a half dozen mix of small bluegill and miscellaneous sunfish, caught on a "throw line" with bobber, hook and worm at the age of 7. My parents really didn't fish, but took us kids anyway for the fun of it. Had to take them home, help clean them, and my mother fried them up in egg and corn meal. I was hooked on fishing for life, but didn't get my first rod and reel until I was 10 when I bought them with some paper route money at a Payless. About 5 or 6 bucks for a clear fiberglass pole and about the same for a closed faced spin cast reel. Fished the heck out of that gear for about 6 years - what really hooked me was my first LMB, a 16 incher, on that same gear, using a Heddon Super Sonic when I was 12. Started experimenting with fly fishing that year as well, a very cheap fiberglass flyrod with an equally cheap fly reel. First fish on a fly was a bluegill.
[signature]
age 5 strawberry opener. ya showing my age.lol 5 pound cutbow in a hail storm at mud creek. tangled up 4 other guys lines with my scooby pole.
[signature]
[quote CROSSINEYES]age 5 strawberry opener. ya showing my age.lol 5 pound cutbow in a hail storm at mud creek. tangled up 4 other guys lines with my scooby pole.[/quote]
Now I'd have loved to see that one Ken. Priceless.

Rumor has it that my first fish was a 20-inch "steelhead" from a small coastal creek. I have no recollection of it, but I do remember some of my very first fish from the same creek, and they were more like 10"-13" rainbows. I can remember fishing it after school and on weekends in first grade, so I was 6. Used to come home all wet and muddy, and get a "school-clothes vs. play-clothes" lecture.

Pautzke Green Label Fireballs were the ticket. Used a short, "homemade" rod about 4 feet long, and a push-button reel of some sort. A Johnson I think. Still have the rod![shocked]
[signature]
First breath, first step, first fish - can't remember any of them. I do remember getting my first tote-goat and going fishing some 5 miles from home on it. It was the summer I was 5 1/2 yrs old. I was so proud being man enough to supply meat for the family. I couldn't imagine letting Avery, 6, take off on his bike like that these days. Although I know he is more than capable of bringing home the fish. My how times have changed! [Sad]
[signature]
First fish was a small bluegill from a family farm pond. I was 5 using a worm and bobber on a micky mouse rod. My father said i reeled it in all the way up to the bobber. Then pulled the fish out of the water and it swung and hit me. I then ran arround trying to escape the mean ol' fish but i wouldn't let go of the pole so it kept touching me. Pretty sure it was a proud and fearsome sign of how i may turn out.
[signature]
Brookie on 70's creek in bone. I must have fished most of the creeks up there from age 3 on with my dad. First one on a fly was on the SF in '76 around 10pm. Dad used to fish every full moon with a sandy mite- what great memories!
[signature]
First trout came out of greys lake outlet, used to be fam tradition to go camping there over memorial. Was a rainbow, kept it and remember suckering one of the older guys to loan me a knife to go "cut a willow to roast a marshmallow" so i could go clean it out. Was prob 5 or 6 at the time.

First fish on a fly was birch creek at 7. Still hooked on that place, albeit I catch a few more these days there than I did back then.
[signature]
Ironrod said, "Brookie on 70's creek in bone"

Was the name of that creek Seventies or was the time period the 70's? I am just curious as I haven't seen one of that name up there if it is.
[signature]
I am not sure that I remember my first fish. I do remember fishing Village Creek, near Neah Bay and some of the small creeks near our house above Clallam Bay with my brother. I was about 3 to 4 years old. We caught lots of small fish that were probably either salmon or steelhead smolts! [shocked]

I remember at age 5 catching salmon and halibut off of our boat. I also remember being very seasick for the first days out!! [Sad]
[signature]
I can't remember what my first fish was or how old i was when i caught it, but most likely it was a perch or bluegill from condie, I have many fond memories of that reservoir and hope to hit it again sometime this summer since i haven't been there in awhile.
[fishin]
[signature]
[Wink] My parents tell me I was age 3 when I caught my first fish on the Big Lost River north of Mackay, Idaho. They said I wouldn't let go of it ("my fiffy") until it began to stink in the hot sun. I believe when it came to catching my first fish I got hooked worse than it did. Been fishing ever since!

DeeCee.
[signature]
My first fish? Still working on it. I'll get one someday![Wink].

Actually don't remember my first fish. Could have been a small catfish below American Falls dam, but I don't know for sure.
[signature]
name of the creek--it's not on any map that i've seen. More like a spring. It's only about 2 ft wide for the most part but it can hold a lot of fish!!
[signature]
My first fish was a rainbow trout. I think it was from the McKenzie River in Oregon. My dad helped me put a worm on the hook, I tossed my line out and had a trout before he had put bait on his hook. We had fished several times before but I had never caught anything. This was over thirty years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday, although I was a little young to know the exact location.
Ironrod said, "name of the creek--it's not on any map that i've seen. More like a spring. It's only about 2 ft wide for the most part but it can hold a lot of fish!! "

Thanks, I was curious as I hadn't ever heard of it before. Perfect size for a kid. That is about the size of the one that I caught most of my fish in as a kid. Great to remember the early excitement we had as kids, actually I don't think I have grown up, I still get excited even for the little fish I catch!
[signature]
the first fish ever was a trout that I caught with my hands in a canal..but the first fish on a rod was a brook trout in the uintah's in Utah
[signature]