Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#%$^^%$ Sturgeon
Well I have been out a couple times now. I have hooked up a couple times and have lost both. Both were my own fault. Once I had my drag WAY too tight. The ling dug into my real and bound up my real and the fish broke me off. The other time he ran me into a shelf and cut my line.
Friday I went again and I was lucky this time. No monster but it was REAL fun. This fish was about 4 feet long I didn't measure it. The bad thing was man was I snagged up all the time. The flow right now is up a little and my tear drop sinkers were not sticking to the bottom. So I got me a pyramid mould from cabelas the biggest they had, and went to work. I made up 74, 10oz and 54, 8 0z. I lost so much gear I don't know how guys can afford to buy weights. Any way my 10 year jinx is over. Well that is not fair to say.My last sturg I caught was 10 years ago. I have only went 5 times in the last two years. I am glad the skunk is off. Ron
[signature]
Nice fish Ron!

Check your pm's.
[signature]
Wow congrats on the good looking fish. I still need to catch one myself but i am on year two.
[signature]
Great pics Ron. where were you fishing at ? You will learn there are some holes that you just have to avoid or use 25 pound line on your sinker. I see you use sliders and they work great but a cheaper way is just use barrel swivels and a few facet beads. Off shore angler sells 100 for 10.99. same with hooks 100 mustad circle hooks for 16.99 .You might look into some storm sinkers too they have a bigger head area than a 12 ounce pyramid but only weigh 8 ounces so you save a little on lead. the 6 is the same size as a 10 ounce

[Image: sinkers004.jpg]
[signature]
I was fishing below twin falls. I am using 30 pound sinker line right now. I was using 20 but the weights kept flinging off the line. I will have to look into the storm sinkers. Where are you finding lead? Ron
[signature]
good job ron ! my dad has sinker molds for those sinkers. you might check it out. he got the molds for around 25 $. he sells the weights to his fishing buddies and the molds paid for themselves real quick ! i believe they are called d0-it molds. the swivels are cheap and he uses wheel weights.
[signature]
Happy for you on the sturgeon, and a little jealous too! I'm gonna get one some day. So far, I've only gone when my buddy takes me, which isn't a lot. I don't have my own gear right now.
[signature]
Way to go. Now the catfish are going to get miffed that you are spending time with other fish!
[signature]
That is one of the reasons I have not caught sturgeon. I am too busy with cats. Here in another month Cats will take over. Now that I have the gear I might go more with gas going up. Ron
[signature]
Its kinda tough to keep them on with the lighter line but makes breaking them off much easier if you snag up. the molds i use are hilts molds by dolphin sports. sent you a pm
[signature]
Drowning Flys,

Do you sell the weights you make? Or just make them for yourself?
[signature]
Wow, all those sinkers sure do look pretty boys! I am in the same boat as buggy - I have a couple buddies from Jerome that take me. Did finally get my own setups though - that's too much work to be pulling on those powerful things with my left arm and reeling with my right! We usually use 12 oz pyramids, but I am definately passing on that info about the storm sinkers!

Anyway, nice pics Ron. That one where the sturg is thrashing with a nice tight line sure got me excited. I love pulling as hard as I can on those suckers with that heavy line and those humongous rods!!!
[signature]
[quote SteelFisher]Drowning Flys,

Do you sell the weights you make? Or just make them for yourself?[/quote]
I kinda got out of selling them but if someone needs them I will make some for you they run about 1.00 for 6 and 8 1.25 10 and 12.
But if a guy is going to get into fishing molds can pay for them self fast. best thing to do is get your mold make 50 or so and sell them in classified or ebay and your mold is paid for. you can get pretty fast at making them i can turn out about 60 per hour with a 2 cavity mold.
I use a propane burner and one larger pot that will hold up to 70 pounds of lead then just transfer melted lead into soup cans, makes handling it easy, some things i highly suggest safety glasses some good quality leather gloves and plenty of fresh outside air or a good respirator .
Make sure you have no moisture or water around lead. all tools that touch the lead need to be warmed up so when the contact the lead it doesnt cause it to splatter. you can clean your lead with a good wax and makes it pour really well into the molds. just throw an small candle in your melted lead and throw a lit wood match in there when its smoking and stir scoop off all the slag and dirt . old crayon works good but my daughter frowns

didn't mean to hijack your thread Ron [:p]
[signature]
I pour a lot of bullets for my muzzleloader. I like to hear how others do it. Thanks for the info. Ron
[signature]
I pour a lot of bullets for my muzzleloader. I like to hear how others do it. Thanks for the info. Ron
[signature]
when im pouring lead i get bunch of 1 gallon cans and put the tire weights in them and put them on top of my dads turky deep fat fryer. there have been a few times with two, two cavity molds ive been through a hundred pounds of lead in a couple of hours. speaking of which i think it about time to visit commercial tire and beg some lead off of them and do a pour
[signature]
another awesome source for lead is albiet preety random, is when hospitials do remodels. sometimes they have radiation rooms they take down and the walls are lined in lead sheeting. i scored litterally tons of it years ago but am starting to run out........
[signature]