Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Day on the Water
[inline "Fishing 672 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]

I took a drive to try and wet a few flies this morning. Wow, it was a beautiful day today! I couldn't believe how warm it was. I hope we have many more like it to come. Sorry, ice fishers!

I stopped and tried the Portneuf at a couple of places, but I didn't get any takers or even any hits in the few holes I tried. I didn't try too hard, it was more of an opportunistic attempt, since I was passing by.

[inline "Fishing 711 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]

The water was low and off color with some meltwater coming in. It was really hard to find a place to park to get to any of the access areas. It was either mud or snow - tough choice.

So I drove on down to the Bear River by Grace. It was low and clear, but the stinking wind was certainly picking up.

[inline "Fishing 689 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]

The deer are down right neighborly in Grace!

[inline "Fishing 701 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]

I caught about a dozen rainbow hatchery deposits. They ranged in size from about 10 inches to about 13. They were fun, but I was hoping for some carryover fish
somewhere. In hindsight, I probably should have hiked up or down a lot further, but I just wanted to start fishing.

[inline "Fishing 693 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]

I went down a ways and hooked into something bigger --a nice fat carp. He really put up a fight on my 4wt, but in the end he took my two flies with him. Oh well, the fun of that fight was worth the price of two flies. Those buggers really have some shoulder muscle! I am going to have to resurrect the 7wt and go after them with some heavier tippet. What a blast!!

Evening is setting in --

[inline "Fishing 714 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]

[url "../../../cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=69919"]
[/url]
[signature]
I also found that my "repaired" waders are not so repair. Right foot damp, left foot more than damp! [:/]

It is a good thing today's temps were so warm, or it would have cut my time in the water short. Time for some more glue!
[signature]
what a great day on the water you had.. and the scenery looks to be awesome... I am green with envy...

as for the deer I would of been wishing I had a rifle or bow in hand.. but Im sure it is not hunting season..

sorry to hear about the waders.. you might try allen fly fishing.. they just introduced a new line of waders...

lastly.. if you dont have a blog you should get one like FG's and start posting your adventures there like she does.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Thanks for the pictures and nice report cpierce. Looks a bit too cool for a guy from SoCal. Blood has thinned out a bit you know.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
maybe the same guys these were in feb 2008

[inline IMG_0065.JPG]

[inline IMG_0066.JPG]

[inline IMG_0069.JPG]

[inline IMG_0060.JPG]

[inline IMG_0070.JPG]
[signature]
[laugh][laugh][laugh]
Probably the same ones. I am sure those deer know they have a good thing going down there. Plus the power company doesn't have to cut its lawn!

Nice fish! Wish I could figure out this winter fly fishing so that it was more consistent.
[signature]
nice pics poky... and that field of deer.. my trigger finger started twitching.. LOL..

btw.. is it my eyes or is that a pheasant in the lower left corner of that picture of all the deer.. if so need to get the shotgun out.. LOL...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]