Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation on Wed
Well we headed out to the basin wed and was not skunked, We fished rabbit gulch 12foot of water Hali jigs and little tuff guys right on bottom lots and lots of small perch but we weeded threw the small ones and was lucky enuf to get some great perch and some nice bows also ice was 14" thick with 3" of snow on top very safe conditions all in all a great day in the basin
[signature]
Good job, nice to see some big perch!!!!
[signature]
It looks like you did better than we did on Tuesday. A friend and I fished in Rabbit Gulch and tried several areas where we have done well earlier in the ice season.
I did get to meet Wyoguy-Gary and it was a pleasure to visit with him.

We fished several shallow areas and could only find the dinks. I may wait until the ice comes off and then head back over with my Lund and put the hurt on the perch and 'eyes.

Mike
[signature]
Wyoguy is my uncle. He introduced me to rabbit gulch earlier in the winter. Some friends and I were there on 3-7 and did well on the perch. Caught one that was one pound. There are still some good ones around.
[signature]
Question: If the shallow water only coughed up little fish, would the plan of action be to head deeper or just to another spot, maybe different topography, similar depth?
[signature]
It's the million dollar question at Starvation. Since the great day on February 15 with TubeDude and some friends, I have fished over there twice. We tried the same depths and we tried deeper. We just couldn't find the bigger perch again.
We had many theories on where they might have gone. I wondered if the bigger females sought out deeper water while getting ready to spawn. They don't have to feed much during the spawning period. TubeDude suggested the fish seek out the shallower water with green vegetation because the vegetation produces oxygen. Once the snow cover increased on the lake's surface, it probably reduced the light enough that the vegetation didn't have enough sunlight to continue growing.

If you get it figured out, let me know. Good luck. I'm tempted to give it one more try before the ice is gone but I won't be able to go after Tuesday.

Mike
[signature]
Well, I just got bailed on for a Pelican trip when my partner's wife caught the stomach flu. I'd go right now if I thought I'd hit em right.
[signature]
I'm not sure if you ever hit them wrong at Pelican as long as you can get on the ice. You may have to do a little more searching, early and late in the day has always been good to us. I only made it to Pelican one time this year, after that I never made it past Starvation.
[signature]
Exactly right about the green weed effect. I used my camera in MN soley to find green weeds under the ice. Fish were alwaays around them. Once they turned brown and used oxygen instead of producing the fish left usually headed towards deeper water. Same effect here. Perch can roam some but not as much as walleyes so they are likely in the areas where tou caught them before just deeper.
[signature]