Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surviving the slush monster
Tis the season that we all have to battle the slush in order to still enjoy the ice wherever we can....sometimes it seems like the monster gets the best of us,so first thought would be to go with waders,or the grocery bags wrapped around the socks,etc. My question is. Do these seem to be the best ways to combat the wet or has anyone used other methods and how well they do or dont work... Any suggestions will greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
If I have heard the slush is real bad I take my waders.
[signature]
My solution to slush = stay home.
[signature]
Get some good boots, they cost a little more but are most definitely worth it. I've seen guys that also use muck boots which I can't see why they wouldn't work. Secondly, I wear waterproof snow pants, they keep a tight seal around your feet for the most part. The boots I wear go about calf high which is usually enough. I stay dry and comfortable which makes for a much better fishing day. FYI I personally wear Schnee's boots a company out of Montana with excellent products.
[signature]
I just purchased a pair of over the shoe pvc rain boots. I took my Sorel liners to the store and purchased them big enough to fit over them. The yellow ones at Lowes were true to size. They are 17" tall and I think I am going to put leg gators over them so they don't slide around. I am going to try them soon and I will report back. The boots were $24.
[signature]
Don't even try the grocery bag around your foot idea. Number one it's gonna be hella slippery. Two, the bags will tear in like 3 steps and the water will get through anyhow. I would go with a good pair of knee high muck boots like the ones used for hunting. I always have a pair of those and sorels too in case I encounter wet conditions. This year I used the muck more than the sorels LOL. Waders are a little overkill, but it all depends on how deep that slush is. If it is waaaay deep go with the waders for sure. I always use waders on questionable edges as well rather than risk the plank thing. What if the plank disappears lol? I just wade in, make sure the ice is still safe and clamber up onto it as if emerging up the side of a swimming pool in a baywatch show LOL. I've waded up to thigh deep to climb onto ice but any deeper than that is not a good idea since when you jump back in, the neoprene can float your legs sideways and you may have a hard time sinking straight down to solid footing.
[signature]
I wear snowshoes. You won't hardly sink more than a few inches with them in deep snow or slush. Cross country skis are even better. Use them to pack down a spot to fish on, it freezes instantly, You will have an elevated,
frozen,dry, spot to fish on.
You can also walk on and off the ice with snowshoes and not break through on the thin ice late in the season.

Make sure you have some good waterproof boots too.

My first year ice fishing at soldier creek in 1985. I had an old cheap pair of cloth snow mobile boots that weren't
waterproof. I used plastic bags on my feet over the first pair of socks, my feet stayed dry and warm.

I enjoy seeing the kids, women, and older guys like my dad, get excited landing fish.
Slab on !
[signature]