Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear River Report
Thanks to those who provided info for me on the Oneida Narrows. Went up this week and thought I would share.

I stayed at the Riverdale Resort. I was worried when I pulled in because it looked run down but it was very nice. It's clear that the owners have put some money into the rooms. The room I stayed in was clean and comfortable. King-sized bed. Clean linens. Relatively new carpet. New fixtures etc. It was nice to have a hot spring to soak in after being cold and wet. I recommend the place for those who head that direction.

I was surprised at the size of the Bear River. I've fished it in the Uintas and have seen it trickle through Tremonton, so I was surprised to see that it was near the scale of a place like Box Canyon. The fishing wasn't great and I never quite figured out the canyon itself. Lots of really deep holes. There wasn't any surface activity in the canyon, although the midges were everywhere, and a lot of it was difficult to nyymph. Would have been nice to throw streamers, but I didn't have my sinking line with me. It was hard to access some areas because of the steep banks and snow.

My best fishing was at the mouth of the canyon. The things I had read were that the fish take relatively bigger flies like Prince and hare's ears in 14 and 16. So I tied mostly that stuff. I tied up a couple of midge pupae and ultimately wished I had more. Size 24 fished in the slower currents below a rusty hare's ear did the trick. A couple on the hare's ear. Most on the midge, but I figured that out late in the day, and eventually lost the two that I had. The fish were around 11, 12 inches. But they fought well. Good strong fish.

I would go up there again, but a big reason would be the resort. Quiet and relaxing. I'd also like to figure out the river a bit better. Although I understand that it is largely a put and take river, there are undoubtedly some beasts lurking somewhere.
[signature]
my brother (Trout_Slayer) has got a few really nice browns out of there by the bridge heading up the canyon. next time you head up try a red copper john at the campground pool..... he huge side cut pool next tothe camp ground. the other cool thing about that place is the size of carp in there. there are some huge carp that hang out below the pipe bridge that will take almost any darker, smaller fly, that are a blast to wrestle in on the fly rod.
[signature]
I'm happy to hear that they cleaned up the resort since I last stayed there. I wasn't too thrilled to find crumbs in my bed [crazy] Pretty gross.

The other cool thing about The Narrows is that in the warmer months you can catch smallmouth and walleye as well as the trout and carp. It certainly keeps it interesting.

There are definitely some tricky currents in that canyon that can make both wading and getting a good drift difficult. Be careful in there as they sometimes let a ton of water out of the dam, and if you're on the wrong side of the river you may find yourself stranded. Also, the bwos should be coming off before long, so we have that to look forward to.
[signature]