Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Cat
This has been fun reading guys. Here are some non photoshopped pictures of a Cut I caught a few weeks ago at Soldier Creek.

You will see in the last photo that we pulled the smaller fish out a bit and it was already somewhat decomposed.

I am still trying to figure out why the bigger fish actually took my jig. There did not seem to be any more room in it's belly.
[signature]
"I am still trying to figure out why the bigger fish actually took my jig. There did not seem to be any more room in it's belly."

[cool][#0000ff]Makes ya scratch yer head in wonder, doesn't it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, it is not all that uncommon to catch predatory fish with recent meals still protuding from their mouth and stomach. One theory I have heard is that fish often go on brief feeding periods and eat everything in sight for a few minutes. Then they become inactive and non-feeding until their big meal is mostly digested. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know from personal experience and observation that is how walleye often behave. If you can time it so that you are in the right place, at the right time...usually at night...you can load up. But if you miss the night bite and fish later or during daylight the next day you would swear there were no fish in the lake. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ditto for big brown trout...and apparently bigger cutts. I have seen big stream-dwelling brownies come out from under a bank and make several aggressive feeding dashes around a pool before retiring back to their lair. I suspect that usually happens more often after dark too...with browns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never claimed to be able to figure out why fish do what they do. Anybody who says he knows everything about fish...or women...will lie about other things too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, it does seem ridiculous sometimes that you catch big fish on small lures when they have just finished gulping down a big "natural" meal. I have joked on a couple of occasions that they probably just wanted to "floss" after eating.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nice fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"Never claimed to be able to figure out why fish do what they do. Anybody who says he knows everything about fish...or women...will lie about other things too. "

Hahahaha, that's awesome! Thanks Tubedude. It was a fun day. I am new to the ice fishing scene, but I am probably hooked for life.

Thanks for the insight
[signature]
Ah heck! I'm laughing right now man!

I recall living in Utah Valley the 'ol Urban Legend after an airplane crash some scuba divers in Utah Lake see a monster of a cat that is well over 6 feet. Even Deer Creek has Urban Legends. Trout larger than the scuba diver.....pure horse manure.[:p]

I was in the 8th grade back in '85 when I was living in American Fork. Other than I thought American Fork was a geeky hick town, I was enthralled by the "reliable sources" (my ex step dad being one of them) that told me about huge cats caught from the Sacramento River in California being 5 feet in length. And locals from American Fork claiming 5 foot channel cats in Utah Lake. But back then I thought that channel cats could reach lengths of over 5 feet cause I thought my step dad was telling the truth...he was in fact a hard-core-exaggerating-red-neck-beer-drinking-stereo-type-ding-bat.

I'll admit I thought cats could that big until I read about them in fishing magazines.

Urban legends about fish lengths abound in any locality.
I bet some UFO hunter group from Arizona or Las Vegas have any tell about aliens, bigfoot and UFO sightings that come from "reliable sources".

Ah heck...no one believes you can catch plenty of channel cats on crankbaits. But hey....I'm not a "reliable source".

Oh well.
[signature]
This thread reminds me of some yahoo that posted things like THIS last summer.
[inline 8-catzilla.jpg]

Oh yeah... that yahoo would be me! [:p] Oh, yes, I believe there are big cats in UL. So many are so fond of "fish stories," who can blame me for wanting to provide "proof?" (That is, after I try to provide something useful in a report.)

And yeah, that "crappy" photo was mine too, but I need to correct the facts. The real fish was not really about 2.5" as lead to believe, my son is action only 1.5" tall. And the bait we used we got from Elvis. He was there that day fishing with us.

I'm actually looking forward to UL this Spring to see if I can figure out where the big kitties go at this time of year.

Thanks for the fun, folks.[Smile]
[signature]
cats in daybreak but that is all i will say!
[signature]
All this racket in the follow up posts have me rolling on the floor. I love it! Hilarious. All of you!
[signature]
Yeah ! It has been a fun read. I have found that I need to stop cutting those Lephericons in half and start using them whole.
[signature]
Sportsmans and Cabelas are completely sold out of unicorn hooks! Do you know of any other sources? St Patty"s day is coming so I will stock up on Leprechauns
[signature]