Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any advice for night fishing PV for the first time?
If the weather and ice permit, I plan on night fishing pineview thursday trying for some crappies.....i always perch fish so if anyone is willing to share any tips i would appreciate it. I was thinking of starting by the marina and working my way towards browning until i find something on the sonar

also for you guys that have night fished this year, have certain times of the night been better than others? was just thinking about going out around 5pm until whenever, should i be going later?

thanks
[signature]
Those night crappies can be tricky. Some nights, it doesn't seem to matter. They'll hit anything. Other nights, you can get frustrated because you'll be right on top of fish, and they just won't be interested. On those nights, we've done better when we bagged the shelter and just started searching for active fish. I think you've got a good game plan. Just search until you find the magic depth and spot. Be mobile. When they quit biting in a hole find some different ones. If they don't come up on your jig immediately, they're not worth you're time. Find a different school. Fourteen inchers seem to come out at night, too, so good luck.
[signature]
Tried this once and failed miserably [frown]. I agree with bagging the shelter and move. In the summer I've done really well on the south side of the lake where that pull off is. There is a trail you can walk down but in winter I think it would be quite difficult to get to and packing a shelter wouldn't be worth it. When I tried the night thing I was fishing north of swim beach or whatever its called in about 40 feet of water and only had 1 light nibble all night. I was in a shelter and should have probably moved until I found the fish but I didn't have sonar either. Good Luck [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
Yeah don't bother going. All the hipe you have seen on here is mostly a bunch of crap. [Wink] Guys will get lucky about 1 time in 20 that they go out. [angelic]
[signature]
Alright I will come clean for you. The truth is if you know where to go the action can be hot. It's the finding that is hard. Even though I have about 4 specific spots I go to I still have to find the active school in that area each time I go.

Once I arrive at "the spot" I comence drilling at least 10 holes perpindicular to shore. I space them about 10 ft apart. This helps me find the depth that the fish will be generally passing through, and this varies night by night.

Then once I find an active depth i.e. fish passing through frequently, I will fish it for a while and see how it goes. Sometimes I am lucky and just fish that general area the rest of the night. Other times I will have to drill another 10 or 12 holes that run parallel to shore in order to find the specific area that the fish are activley feeding in.

Good luck, and happy drilling!! [Wink]
[signature]